Vent Fan Issues

Started by PKsolar, March 06, 2012, 09:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PKsolar

I took Ryan's advice. After 18 years with the old PC, I upgraded with my new Laptop, uploaded latest version of Classic 250 firmware and the video worked great. Now I have new choices including the vent fan (purchased my new 250 CC in May). I can also use this forum now (yeah)!

Vent fan works when I route directly to my 48v batteries. It does not work when I wire to Aux 1, Vent fan High - set at 48.5 volts. I also tried Manual On. Still nothing. Wires fine. Vent fan fuse fine.
Battery is at 49.5V. I don't think my Hydro Caps ever worked so hard. House really smelled when I got home after a sunny day (52+V) and openned the doors on our first 50 degree day (NE WI).

Any hints?
10 Evergreen 215, 150 Classic, 48V (8x US Battery 400AH), MNPV Disco; Plus original system - 10 Evergreen, Fronius 2000 grid tie. 2014 added KID, Exeltech 1KW inverter, 12V (2 6V US Battery 400AH) to run garage. Classic 200 w 8 x 285 Solar World in Follow me mode.

boB

Are the Aux 1 jumpers set for relay contact or 0V -- 12V logic output mode ??

How is Aux 1 connected to turn the fans on/off from the Aux 1 terminal block ??
External relay or SSR or something else ??

Thanks,
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

Is this a 12 volt vent fan? If it is a 48 volt vent fan you will need to use the Classic to drive a relay or use the Classics relay.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

PKsolar

Thanks for some thoughts. Per instructions on page 51, it came with jumper to the right as a relay so I wired the positive there and back as a switch to this 48V fan - from the 48V postitive block. Neutral common goes straight to neutral bar on the Outback 48V DC panel.

Is this always 12V in the Classic even on a 48V system? Then I understand if it is a 12V only. It was working for awhile when I first got it attached before uploading new info. I think I had it set in the Active Low. It was a hit and miss since. Sometimes I heard the fan running, then it wasn't...

Your input is always appreciated.
PK
10 Evergreen 215, 150 Classic, 48V (8x US Battery 400AH), MNPV Disco; Plus original system - 10 Evergreen, Fronius 2000 grid tie. 2014 added KID, Exeltech 1KW inverter, 12V (2 6V US Battery 400AH) to run garage. Classic 200 w 8 x 285 Solar World in Follow me mode.

PKsolar

Still  not working...

I have 55V coming in from both PV and battery. Jumpers to the left and wires to the right (at Aux 1 terminals)50V present at relay. Vent Fan High set to 48.8V. I've pressed enter each time I played with Voltage settings. Still no 12+V at relay terminals. Just a few days ago I saw 15V at my wires coming from Aux 1 but didn't have the relay in yet (for my 48V fan). Any hints???? Please!

Fan works fine if I wire it direct each morning. Shouldn't have to keep doing this. Never had a problem with my old Blue Sky (sorry, I'm sure this Classic will be my favorite once I see a real manual with out so many editing errors.)

boB

OK, so, both jumpers to the left for Aux 1 is 12V logic output from Aux 1.  Actually, the Aux 1
voltage is more like 15 volts out of the Aux 1 terminals.

That is probably what you saw the other day.  That ~should~ work OK.  Remember that
it has a max output current of about 200 milliamps before the resettable fuse trips.

What kind of relay are you using ?  Did you ever hook it up  to the Aux 1 terminals ?
One thing you can do to just test the Aux 1 output is to make Aux 1 go on manually.
In the first (main) Aux menu, make Aux 1 say "Manual On" and you should see that
14 or 15 volts out of the terminals.   Bring it down to "Manual Off" and it should go
to zero volts.  Hook the relay up and make sure it clicks (if you can hear it clicking)
when you Manually turn it on and off.

When you set the Vent Fan voltage to 48 .8 volts, what was the battery voltage ?
Did it go above 48.8 volts ?

Let us know how that goes.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

The first step to trouble shoot this is to unhook your wires from Aux1. Now with the 2 jumpers on pin 1 and 2 go into the Aux menu and turn Aux1 to "Manual ON" now check for ~15Vdc at Aux 1 terminals. Far right nearest the dc terminal block is + and 3rd to the right is - . Here is a vent fan explanation in PDF for reference to the connections and jumpers: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31975941/Vent%20Fan.pdf

If this yields ~15vdc then the next step is to verify the relay Coil is for 12vdc and draws less than 200ma. After verification hook the relay coil back to the Classics Aux1 and turn the Aux to "Manual ON" and see if there is a relay click in your external relay? Also carefully check for ~15vdc at the 2 connections on the relay as well. If there is ~15vdc there and still no vent fan assume Bad or miss wired Relay. If the ~15vdc goes away at the relay assume a larger than 200ma draw or less likely a issue with the Classic.

Hopefully this makes sense? Or maybe you have verified everything works well in Manual and you are asking about making Auto mode work?

Ryan

PKsolar

Thanks Guys!

This used relay works fine when on a 12V battery and I do have 15+ V at the CC. Must be the wrong amperage relay. I'll try with a new one and let you all know. PK

PKsolar

Now I tried a new relay. I hear the click on a 12V battery. As soon as I attach it to the 15.3-16.8V output on the charger, I see nothing across the leads. I've also heard clicking going on in the charger and some high pitch whining. That could be it's normal function sounds though. I did see a red LED on behind the panel in the lower left corner. that is now gone.

I put the meter back on the terminals and I saw it wildly swing from 12V to 40V on and off up and down for about a minute and then 0V. That was with nothing attached. Sun was down so not much action with the rest of the system. Batteries at 52V and the Aux set to go on at 48.5. I always check for polarity before connections.

What am I doing wrong?

boB

Quote from: PKsolar on March 27, 2012, 08:24:44 PM
Now I tried a new relay. I hear the click on a 12V battery. As soon as I attach it to the 15.3-16.8V output on the charger, I see nothing across the leads. I've also heard clicking going on in the charger and some high pitch whining. That could be it's normal function sounds though. I did see a red LED on behind the panel in the lower left corner. that is now gone.

Was the 15.3 to 16.8V coming from the Aux output terminals ?  I am assuming you changed
from trying to power a 48V relay coil or fan from the internal Aux 1 relay to powering an
external 12V relay coil ??

The contacts on that relay are for very low current, (less than one (1) amp) and if higher than about
3/4 amp, the resettable fuse will open (PTC).

Also,  the Aux 1 terminals, when it is jumpered to put out 15 volts,  is not designed
to put out much more than about 200 milliamps maximum before its resettable fuse opens up.
What kind of current are you trying to draw out of Aux 1 ?

Quote from: PKsolar on March 27, 2012, 08:24:44 PM
I put the meter back on the terminals and I saw it wildly swing from 12V to 40V on and off up and down for about a minute and then 0V. That was with nothing attached. Sun was down so not much action with the rest of the system. Batteries at 52V and the Aux set to go on at 48.5. I always check for polarity before connections.

What am I doing wrong?

If you have Aux 1 jumpered for voltage output, (not relay), I don't know why you would see anything near 40 volts
there with your meter.  If you were running a 48V fan or coil through that relay, it may be the PTC opening
up and going closed again.

Maybe a simple schematic would help.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

I am going to say you may want to call MidNite and chat with one of our guys. I think if I am reading this correct something seems amiss

Ryan

PKsolar

Thanks Ryan, I guess I'll call once my brother (who's now reading this stuff - electrician) sends me a third relay. I have yet to add the standard Z. 48V Powervent fan wires to the relay leads as I've heard no clicking from the relays when I attach them to the CC terminals. I'm doing exactly what your Vent Fan High instructions say. The voltages mentioned are coming from the two 18 AWG wires I  have attached to the terminals.

I'll wait for the new relay (again). This time I attached the meter to both ends of the terminal leads with 15.3V and as soon as I touched the relay leads to it, it fell to 0V. The 48V leads not attached yet. Guess it's the relay...

boB

Remember that you can also test the Aux output by selecting MANUAL OFF
and MANUAL ON  in the main (first) Aux1 and Aux2 menu.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

PKsolar

As always, thanks but I've tried them all.

The 2nd above relay was tested and is 30 milliamp to 48V. I set the Classic at Manual On and the same thing occurs. I have 15+ Volts and once the neutral lead is touched to the relay it falls to 0V. Again, this is w/o any of the 48V wires attached. We'll try another type ss relay as you stated,  when it arrives I'll check back in.

Hey, at least I don't forget to wire the fan direct before going to work anymore. No more hydrogen bomb awaiting me in the evening...

Halfcrazy

Quote from: PKsolar on March 30, 2012, 09:40:30 PM
As always, thanks but I've tried them all.

The 2nd above relay was tested and is 30 milliamp to 48V.

30 ma at 48vdc ? does this relay have a 48 volt coil if so this is the problem you need to find a relay with a 12 volt coil and less than 200 ma draw. You should be able to grab a relay from any auto parts store.

Ryan