MNSPD Ticking and Flashing.

Started by Trickle Charge, May 21, 2012, 03:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trickle Charge

I just recieved a call from my partner that one of the MNSPDs installed on my E-Panel is ticking and flashing.  What might this mean?

Cheers and thanks.

Halfcrazy

Could it be the wrong voltage (IE a SPD115 on say 150vdc? or a SPD115 on 120/240 VAC) I assume the ticking would be related to the flashing? Is it the LED that is flashing? I will ask Mario to weigh in as well.

Ryan

Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Trickle Charge

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll have to get the particulars when I get home from work but I thought I'd get this thread started.

Cheers
TC

boB

Hi TC !!

I am going to make a guess here.  Could it be that your inverter,  is in
power save or "search" mode and is clicking and looking for a load, and that the LEDs on
the SPDs are flashing to show the AC output of the inverter ? ? ?

Just a guess...

If the inverter is not searching but is steady ON, then the clicking would
go away (and turn into a steady Hummmmm  maybe), and the LEDs would be on steady
as well.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,
boB

PS...   I am also going to guess that this is a Magnum Energy inverter.  ? ? ? ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Trickle Charge

Quote from: boB on May 21, 2012, 05:51:37 PM
Hi TC !!

I am going to make a guess here.  Could it be that your inverter,  is in
power save or "search" mode and is clicking and looking for a load, and that the LEDs on
the SPDs are flashing to show the AC output of the inverter ? ? ?

Just a guess...

If the inverter is not searching but is steady ON, then the clicking would
go away (and turn into a steady Hummmmm  maybe), and the LEDs would be on steady
as well.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,
boB

PS...   I am also going to guess that this is a Magnum Energy inverter.  ? ? ? ?

Bingo!  The, yes, Magnum inverter was in "searching" mode and when I put a load on the ticking and flashing when away. 
Thanks boB. 

So I guess it's always going to do that when it's on and there's no load?

Halfcrazy

The blinking is normal of the SPD while the magnum is in search the ticking should be the Magnum not the SPD?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Trickle Charge

Quote from: Halfcrazy on May 21, 2012, 07:30:41 PM
The blinking is normal of the SPD while the magnum is in search the ticking should be the Magnum not the SPD?

Ryan

It was probably the magnum that was ticking.  I suppose it would be easy to think that the ticking comes from the SPD since it's in sync with the LED flashing, but switching the magnum to a different mode cleared both.

Cheers and happy Queen Victoria Day!    ???

boB

Quote from: Trickle Charge on May 21, 2012, 08:21:23 PM
Quote from: Halfcrazy on May 21, 2012, 07:30:41 PM

Ryan

It was probably the magnum that was ticking.  I suppose it would be easy to think that the ticking comes from the SPD since it's in sync with the LED flashing, but switching the magnum to a different mode cleared both.

Cheers and happy Queen Victoria Day!    ???

Just think of the blinking LEDs kind of like Christmas lights or something.
Or, they can just tell you that you're saving energy by being in search mode.

And  Happy QV day to you too !!

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

niel

that's a good way to confirm search mode is working on the inverter. i'll have to check that out as i didn't pay that much attention to it. of course it won't show up while i have grid ac flowing through it in the meantime, but i test cycle everything every week or so. ::)

btw, most of us in the states have no use for queen victoria day, but don't turn blue over it. :P ;D

Trickle Charge

Quote from: niel on May 21, 2012, 11:10:56 PM
that's a good way to confirm search mode is working on the inverter. i'll have to check that out as i didn't pay that much attention to it. of course it won't show up while i have grid ac flowing through it in the meantime, but i test cycle everything every week or so. ::)

btw, most of us in the states have no use for queen victoria day, but don't turn blue over it. :P ;D

That ticking is a bit annoying if you're in the room for any length of time. 

As for the holiday, it's just a friendly reminder from our monarchs that we're all subjects.  You lot opted out of that for freedom and liberty and I missed out on that by being born 10 miles to the north.  lol

Cheers
TC

Westbranch

It's OK Neil, she died a bit over 111 years ago... we just like the holiday now.   8)
It usually marks the start of fishing season around here at least.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come