News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Cant seem to get the SOC to display on Rosie

Started by qrper, March 29, 2024, 12:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qrper

Try as I might, I can't seem to get Rosie to display the SOC of my lead acid batteries. My classic 150 and Whizbang jr works fine, but can't seem to get SOC to display on Rosie.

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

Wizbandit

setup/inverter config/inverter specific/rosie/external sensors
You have to turn ON the WBjr and if the purple wire is connected to Rosie youhave to charge with AC to FLOAT.
Also ALL battery negatives must go through Rosies Shunt.

qrper

Quote from: Wizbandit on March 29, 2024, 04:34:33 PMsetup/inverter config/inverter specific/rosie/external sensors
You have to turn ON the WBjr and if the purple wire is connected to Rosie youhave to charge with AC to FLOAT.
Also ALL battery negatives must go through Rosies Shunt.

Okay, Turned on the whizbang and the ac charger until the charger reported float. The status now says SOC  CAL and doesn't change.

The negative of the battery goes through Rosie and the whizbang shunt.
Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

boB

Is the Rosie in Absorb ?  Did it go to Float ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Wizbandit

Purple wire from the WBjr not connected or not to the correct terminal. Defective WBjr or EXTERNAL SENSOR setting is set to something other than BATTERY like 3rd party or DC out.

qrper

Quote from: boB on April 02, 2024, 05:23:41 PMIs the Rosie in Absorb ?  Did it go to Float ?

boB

Yes, turned on the internal charger went to absorb then float

Mike

qrper

Quote from: Wizbandit on April 03, 2024, 09:22:07 AMPurple wire from the WBjr not connected or not to the correct terminal. Defective WBjr or EXTERNAL SENSOR setting is set to something other than BATTERY like 3rd party or DC out.

I'll check the connections internal of the Rosie. Since I had the epanel come with the inverter, I'm assuming it was wired correctly from the factory. External sensor is set for battery.

Mike

Mike

Wizbandit

Quote from: qrper on April 03, 2024, 10:12:29 AM
Quote from: Wizbandit on April 03, 2024, 09:22:07 AMPurple wire from the WBjr not connected or not to the correct terminal. Defective WBjr or EXTERNAL SENSOR setting is set to something other than BATTERY like 3rd party or DC out.

I'll check the connections internal of the Rosie. Since I had the epanel come with the inverter, I'm assuming it was wired correctly from the factory. External sensor is set for battery.

What Firmware versions ?  FYI - Sometimes assembly line workers miss stuff...

qrper

Quote from: Wizbandit on April 04, 2024, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: qrper on April 03, 2024, 10:12:29 AM

What Firmware versions ?  FYI - Sometimes assembly line workers miss stuff...

MNPG 24.1.24
rosie  24.2.13.1

the whizbang is connected and the purple wire goes to the correct connection inside rosie. I reset the wire in the spring connector and it passed the tug test.

mike

qrper

Here's some photos of the whizbang Jr inside Rosie. The purple wire goes to the correct location. I do wonder why the last photo says the purple wire should be connected to the classic.

My classic already has a whizbang jr connected to it.

still no SOC on the MNGP

mike

Wizbandit

Well, that only leaves bad firmware or bad WBjr hardware.  Check with the Android BETA APP to see if there is a newer ROSIE FW, if so update, do a SET SYSTEM TO DEFAULTS under SYSTEM FUNCTIONS (user menu).  If still no SOC then EMAIL support@midnitesolar.com and ask for a RMA, send your phone#, address, Rosie SER# and we will get you a new WBjr sent out.  Looks like it is a B*TCH to get that swapped, I can see spacers dropping into neverland... Might have to shut down, remove battery positive cable and remove the 300A breaker to get access...I've not tried to swap one yet...

qrper

Quote from: Wizbandit on April 07, 2024, 09:28:47 AMWell, that only leaves bad firmware or bad WBjr hardware.  Check with the Android BETA APP to see if there is a newer ROSIE FW, if so update, do a SET SYSTEM TO DEFAULTS under SYSTEM FUNCTIONS (user menu).  If still no SOC then EMAIL support@midnitesolar.com and ask for a RMA, send your phone#, address, Rosie SER# and we will get you a new WBjr sent out.  Looks like it is a B*TCH to get that swapped, I can see spacers dropping into neverland... Might have to shut down, remove battery positive cable and remove the 300A breaker to get access...I've not tried to swap one yet...

Yeah, when I was taking the the photographs I kinda grumbled about what a job that would be to get the WBjr out of the inverter. FYI... the WBjr was blinking its LED, and while not a operational test, at least the WBjr is alive.

What is on the purple wire? Is it a voltage or PWM signal? I could throw a scope probe on it and see what's going on.

mike

Wizbandit

The device (Rosie, Hawkes Bay, Barcelona, Classic) puts a 12V charge on the purple wire to charge a capacitor on the WBjr, then drops it and the WBjr uses the charge to power the MPU and transmits a data stream back up the wire.  You could pull the wire out of the snap-loc a little and check for the data stream returning.  If it is then either buggy FW or defective Rosie CPU board or bad/loose ribbon cable.

boB

Remember that the PCB end where the purple wire comes out of the WB Jr.  points in the direction of the battery negative.  Amperes reading polarity would be backwards otherwise.

Negative amp means we are pulling amp-hours out of the battery.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me