Backup system in Washington State

Started by onanparts, October 26, 2012, 01:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onanparts

On the grid at this time but within 2-3 years plans are to find a nice piece of property with enough water flowing for a micro hydro system.  :)

Right now getting ready to put a Radian online in UPS mode. Since micro hydro will not require a monster battery bank down the road I'm going with a modest 225AH @48V to feed the Radian and keep the fridge, furnace, lights, and PC/network going for several hours before the genny has to start up.

I went with 8 Trojan T105-RE 6 volt batts. The cost difference between those and 8 L16-REB's was enough to get a decent 1KW PV array so I have at least some RE to offset the grid/genny etc.

With our mostly cloudy conditions here the 1KW PV won't do much but it's a start.

Primary backup genny is not just a generator. I have a Miller Legend Welder/Generator. 225Amps AC/DC welder and 5KW 120/240 AC genset @ 1860RPM. VERY quiet and powered by what else? An 18HP Onan twin setup for duel fuel, Propane/gasoline.

Some before and after pics of the Miller. It was in sad shape when I got it and since been rebuilt top to bottom front to back.

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

onanparts

A few n more before pics.

onanparts

Nice rats nest... :)

onanparts

Turning the corner.

onanparts

Done! Total time...45 minutes + 1 case of beer....not buying that? OK, start to finish about 1 week.  :)

onanparts

Now it's time to get the "silent" genny online. The nice thing about the smaller T105's is they are easy to unload and place.  ;D

boB

Quote from: onanparts on October 26, 2012, 02:00:34 AM
Done! Total time...45 minutes + 1 case of beer....not buying that? OK, start to finish about 1 week.  :)

WoW !!  Nice cleanup !!

I like the winding part of the generator !!

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

onanparts

The AC power side actually has 3 windings. A pair of 120V windings and a 150V winding that is tied into the voltage regulator to keep that output tight under heavy changing load conditions.

onanparts

I knew I had a schematic someplace....The surge rating of this sucker is 10KW! I've spanked it hard on more than one occasion with a small portable air compressor, 1.5 real HP, not the "start winding HP" and it did not even burp.

onanparts

Question concerning my planned use of welding cable for the interconnects etc. US made, 1/0 600V double insulated. I have a nice big spool of about 200' of it. Purchased it back when the cost was .58 cents per foot. :) Plated solid copper terminals. I've always been a crimp and solder nut, I prefer the electrical & mechanical connection.

Thoughts?  I know some inspectors go either way with welding cable. The stuff is certainly designed for abuse/conditions it will never be subject to in an RE system.

Just did some checking and am certain what I have is not the type W per UL 1650 cable.

onanparts

The Beast is alive! Finally found the time to get the Radian located where I wanted it. Some serious relocation of "stuff" was required to make it happen. The Radian and battery bank are in their permanent site but before anyone raises "two" eyebrows on the rats nest of battery inter connects, for the record that is a temporary setup.

I had a box full of quick disconnects I am using until my 2/0 cables are finished. I'm halfway done making them now but wanted to get the radian up and running in "test" mode and play with it under limited load conditions. The only loads put on it are using an Onan resistive load bank, 9 glow cones at 660W ea. that can be switched on/off in any combination.

The Beast is a good name for it! No way it was getting mounted to the wall without anybody else around but me....until Mr. dolly with a winch put that sucker in it's place!  :)

onanparts

Batts in place and "rats nest" connected. Radian wall hanger plate bolted in.

onanparts

It's mounted on the wall...with a little help.

onanparts

GSLC/epanel in place and a quick look with the covers on. It was 3AM at that point so a good nights rest was in order before wiring up the AC & DC to find out if any magic smoke would escape.

onanparts

3KW load and the magic smoke stayed inside.