inverter suggestions

Started by anvil, May 13, 2014, 01:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anvil

howdy. I'm designing a 1000 watt system and would like suggestions for an inverter.

what are the differences, if any between the xantrex prosine and prowatt lines?

will the rumored and highly anticipated inverter line  contain a 1000 watt model and is this happening in the near future?  willing to wait if so.

I have a classic 200 and am picking up 3 more 250 watt mono panels in the near future.

thanks in advance

tecnodave

Anvil,

I use two XANTREX ProSine units, a 1,000 watt, 12 volt unit and a 1,800 watt 24 volt unit.
The ProWatt is the replacement for the now discontinued ProSine line. The ProWatt is not related to the ProSine design. It is lighter and cheaper and not as clean. The ProSine units have been very good but I do not start large induction motors with them. They do not have a large reserve when starting a highly inductive load such as a deep well water pump. There are other designs that are better than  the ProSine for that use. I mostly use them for electronically controlled soft-start power tools which require a good quality sine wave. Also for clean electronic use.

I am reluctant to recommend the ProSine due to manufacturer support.

The Exeltech is cleaner, more reliable and a very good all around inverter. I am using a Exeltech XP 1100 watt 24 volt unit to power my household and a second inverter for power tools, a Cotek SK-1500 24 volt unit.

The Exeltech is expensive but is rock solid, very clean sine wave, absolutely no problems with switch mode power supplies such as iPad, computer etc.

The Cotek is made in China and I will start by saying I don't like Chinese electronics but this line of inverters is surprisingly good, clean sine wave and huge start capability under highly reactive load.
The S and SK line is made for this application, (portable power tools with high start loads and reactive loads)

The Cotek SK line is also sold in  as the Samlex SA line , not all the models , but a good representation.

Most modern switch mode power supplies have a problem with MSW (Modified Sine Wave) inverters (really modified square wave) . Some will burn up!  Do not try your Makita portable power tool charger with a cheap inverter! Smoke will happen!

All the inverters I have mentioned are in a class of inverters that are not meant for 24/7/365 use! That is another thing altogether , for that look at whatever midnite will come up with and the outbacks, and Magnum Energy and maybe even Schneider (XANTREX)

My too cents, bang for the buck

Light Duty.    Cotek SK-2000
24/7 duty.     Outback

David

edit:spelling
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

anvil

thanks, very good info. clean, concise, and to the point.

just what I am looking for.