125A Breaker with tabs

Started by dapdan, May 20, 2014, 11:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

Midnite,

I recently got some 125A panel mount breakers and they have two tabs between the stud connectors. What are those tabs for?

Cheers...
Damani

dapdan

tecnodave

Damani,

That looks like a shunt trip breaker,  apply small current to quick connect tabs to trip main breaker.
Do not need to use shunt trip function.

td
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

Vic

Looks like the label says "V    Coil  24 VDC"

You could probably find the exact specs on that breaker by looking at the manufacturer's data for the exact model number on that label.

EDIT:  The Carling Specs that I have for E series PM breakers contradict the label info on Trip Delay.

But it seems that it has the ability to be Coil-Tripped.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dapdan

All,

Label says "V. coil : 24(19 trip) VDC"

For all other like me(that are ignorant to this feature). What application would this feature prove useful or necessary?

Damani

Vic

Damani,

Have never used such a breaker ...

But expect that its operation as a circuit breaker should be as you would expect,  and as speced on that label,  regarding trip amps,   delay,  voltage etc.

AND,  it has an added function that you do NOT need to use -- the use of an external voltage of 24 VDC nominal,   applied to those two terminals, that will cause the breaker to Trip.

This function could be used,  perhaps as an emergency off tripping of that breaker to shut off charging of a battery,  or based on a fault detected by an external system,  or perhaps an Emergency Power Off,  as required by some fire fighters,  etc.

The function described above are just my ASSUPTIONS of how such a breaker may work.

YMMV,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dapdan

Thanks Vic. Much appreciated.

Cheers...
Damani

zoneblue

This feature sounds useful for emergency disconnects. Especially the new "single" point of disconnect that are increasingly required by code. You could have a swtich, any kind of switch that triggers the breakers for pv, controller and inverter, all at once. The one issue I guess is that such a thing isnt exactly fail safe, in that it requires a power supply to function.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

tecnodave

To all,

That is exactly what these are used for,  it is often desirable to remotely trip a breaker for shutdown , either manually or more often , automation controls.

td
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

Halfcrazy

Quote from: zoneblue on May 20, 2014, 03:41:00 PM
This feature sounds useful for emergency disconnects. Especially the new "single" point of disconnect that are increasingly required by code. You could have a swtich, any kind of switch that triggers the breakers for pv, controller and inverter, all at once. The one issue I guess is that such a thing isnt exactly fail safe, in that it requires a power supply to function.

Yes we are starting to bring in a lot of different Remote Trip breakers. They can be tripped by our BirdHouse "Rapid Shutdown system"
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time