Using "Float on" or PWM Divert?

Started by Highflyer, November 07, 2014, 12:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highflyer

I was using PWM divert but then tried  the "Float on" option and I saw a larger amount of energy going to the load (my batteries were full at the time).  There was no load running off the batteries at that time either.

Why the difference, and which one is better to use? 

I don't want to waist energy, but I also want full batteries as night approaches.

Any thoughts?
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Highflyer

Okay, let me restate the question.

I have a water heater as my dump load.  If I use PWM divert, my system will give it around 15 amps. And the system will produce around 18 amps.  (no other load on the system).  With the same sun, the same panels, the same load, ect.  I changed the load to "manual on" and then the system gave the load nearly 30 amps and it upped the amps from the panels to the limit (I am over paneling my system for the winter months).

So, why won't the system up the amps from the panels and give the load more power in PWM divert? 

Do I have a setting off?  Is there a way to use more and "waist" less without using "manual on?"

Thanks for any insight.
Brian

Highflyer

Okay, I worked with Mario and Ryan and found out that my settings were causing the Kid to turn PWM on and off really quickly giving me very little power to my load, now with the right settings, I am putting a lot of extra power to my water heater and the fish could not be happier!!
Brian

thanasis

Highflyer,
could you share the specifics on your  settings that fixed the problem?

Thanks
CamperVan application.
Single PV:275W.
Charge Controller: KID w/WBjr.
Battery: Lifeline 8D 255Ah.
Main load: 4A DC refrigerator.

Highflyer

I used PWM Divert using an offset of -.8 and a width of .5.  This keeps the PWM load on while protecting the batteries for my system.

I saw the Clipper light on solid sooner, but I wanted to be sure the load would get power anytime the batteries are full or really close to full.
Brian

Kent3

6 - 150 Watt PV, 210Ah /24V FLA Battery Bank, 2-MN-Kid CC w/WBjr and 2-MNBTS, eu2000i, eu3000i,  Samlex 1000 Watt PSW, 1000 Watt MSW,    Linux user