Am I being ripped off

Started by Dad-07, February 13, 2015, 12:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dad-07

I was looking to buy a classic 200 from a retailer in Australia so I placed an order only to receive an email saying they were out of stock of that model but I could have the Classic 250 for the same price and they had it in stock.

Ok I did some calcs and I decided I could use it and subsequently replied to them that I would accept their offer.

I arrived today and of course I opened it up to only see that the transformers and ethernet connection were labeled "Lite 250".

It has the MNGP which was connected.

Also I see the back section has a groove for a seal but there is no seal.

What model did I get?

Thanks
Peter

Dad-07

Got a picture of it.

boB

Hi Peter.

A Classic "Lite" is exactly the same as a non-Lite EXCEPT for two things...

The Lite does not ship with an MNGP remote control panel.  They gave you
one of those so that part is taken care of.

The other difference is that the Arc-Fault circuit board is not installed on the bottom
of the power board.  Australia does not have a AF requirement.  It is also unnecessary
for normal operation.

Other than this, everything else including software/firmware and capabilities
are the same.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Dad-07

Thanks Bob,

So what does the arc fault do?

Peter

Vic

Quote from: Dad-07 on February 13, 2015, 12:06:36 AM...
Also I see the back section has a groove for a seal but there is no seal   ...   

Hi Peter,  believe that the groove that you refer to is in the casting,  and looks to me like it might have been designed to accept an "O-Ring"  type of seal.  Have NEVER seen a Classic that has such a seal.   So if that is what you was mentioning,   believe that you are not missing anything in this case.      FWIW,     Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

TomW

Quote from: Dad-07 on February 13, 2015, 12:06:36 AM
Hi Peter,  believe that the groove that you refer to is in the casting,  and looks to me like it might have been designed to accept an "O-Ring"  type of seal.  Have NEVER seen a Classic that has such a seal.   So if that is what you was mentioning,   believe that you are not missing anything in this case.      FWIW,     Vic

An O-ring there would not do much considering The Classic has vent holes in the body and the cover.

Just a couple thoughts.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Vic

Yea,  Tom,

Had deleted a line in my post that noted the Classic has a well-ventilated case,  but felt that this was a bit redundant ...

But,  do believe that this was what the groove was for,  or perhaps an emission gasket (which seems likely).   Tooling is expensive,  and had felt that this groove was there just in case it might be needed for some special application.   All FWIW,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Westbranch

you should do a search for Arc Fault here.  It is a complex issue and best if you read what boB and others have to say, rather than muddy the waters...

hth
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Quote from: Dad-07 on February 13, 2015, 02:28:35 AM
Thanks Bob,

So what does the arc fault do?

Peter

AF looks at the noise coming from the PV current and if it thinks that there is electrical arcing happening,
it will shut the controller off until you hit a button on the screen.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Dad-07

Thanks to all who replied,

It appears then that the Arc Fault Detection is basically a safety device.

It would protect the system if for example an isolation switch failed, of which I can see that in Australia at least there have been recalls of these because of this exact reason and the net is littered with images of same.

As the Australian regulations mirror that of the U.S. I can safely guess that it will not be long before a similar requirement is introduced here.

After researching various controllers my decision to buy the Midnite Classic was influenced by it's features, the general opinion of it from this forum and others, and the VALUE for money.

Then as the manufacturer promotes this as a feature of the controller, it can be only be that without it, the controller is of lesser value irregardless of its importance or requirement.

On the box it appears that the the contents are described by a barcode sticker placed over the corresponding tick box indicating a Classic 250.

So, did the manufacturer get it wrong?

The box had been previously opened and taped up again, evidenced by the supplier enclosing their 'welcome letter' and invoice in the box.

The MNGP was connected to the controller, as per the included literature this is not done at the factory.(" The graphics display panel (MNGP) may be attached to the main circuit board with a blue phone style cable as seen below if this is not the first time being opened")

So, who would have done this, the manufacturer?

As previously descibed upon noticing the 'Lite 250' stickers I began to question the validity of the controller. Another thing I have since noted is that the alignment markings on the screws and washers holding the mosfet retaining bar in place do not appear to be in alignment.

So again, who would have done this, the manufacturer?

If the mosfet retaining bar had been 'Moved', why. This now leads me to believe this is a used unit that has been repaired.( if in fact it works at all )

If there was a fault with the unit and I returned it to the manufacturer/agent for repair under warranty what would they make of this and would they honour the warranty?

My original post was to determine whether what I got, was what I paid for.

If you were to go to the pub/liquor store and pay for a six pack and only get 5 and 1 of them had been opened what would your response be?

And yes, I have opened a line of communication with midnite solar and the supplier.

Peter

Halfcrazy

Peter
If you want to give me the serial # in a PM if you dont want it public. I will look it up and tell you what it left Midnite as. But with the stickers I am pretty sure I already know. Anyhow drop me the serial # and I will look it up

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Dad-07

Thanks Ryan,

PM sent.

One thing I have to say is that from what I can see the build quality is impressive.
From the diecast aluminium case to the components and assembly I would be very happy if it were the right one :P.

Peter