Turning off inverter

Started by eastpoint turbine, February 11, 2014, 11:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eastpoint turbine

Hi to all,   What's the best way to turn the inverter off ,  by the  ON/OFF switch  or the  Breaker ?

zoneblue

And a related question:

- does turning off an inverter each day potentially shorten the inverters life?
- does whether you turn it off via the inverters own switch or with the breaker make a difference.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

TomW

Quote from: zoneblue on February 11, 2014, 02:22:49 PM
And a related question:

- does turning off an inverter each day potentially shorten the inverters life?
- does whether you turn it off via the inverters own switch or with the breaker make a difference.

I would venture the opinion that many electronic devices will fail sooner if powered on / off regularly compared to allowing them to run. I base this on observations over the years.

Seems the surge of power on stresses circuit components. Personally, I have had more devices apparently fail on power up and not while running.

Probably much room for other opinions but that is my story and I am sticking with it!

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Vic

Regarding ept's question,

The method that you use to turn off an inverter depends upon the reason that you want the inverter off.

Generally,  unless one is working on any of the cables on the DC or AC side on the inverter,  or even in the DC box/panel,  would just use the soft off/on feature of the inverter.

Personally,  would just let the inverter run,  unless the system is small,  or one is really trying to minimize power consumption due to poor weather,   etc.

It all seems relative to me..   ambiguous   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

eastpoint turbine

So i gather  from the replies    IT DOESN"T MATTER

TomW

Quote from: eastpoint turbine on February 14, 2014, 07:40:45 PM
So i gather  from the replies    IT DOESN"T MATTER

Sorry I got sidetracked on the previous reply and did not address your actual question but that is what I would say. Six of one, a half dozen of the other.

One thing I would avoid like the Plague is powering it down while it has any substantial load on it by any means other than software controlled shutoff like my Outback has with The Mate. At least repeatedly.

Just from here.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

turning it off with the button is probably easier on it versus the breaker. Think of it as your PC. There is a button you click to turn it off or you can just unplug it. I would always advise to turn it off with the button first and then turn off the breaker if you want
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time