A little help for regarding static IP

Started by offgridQLD, March 01, 2014, 02:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

offgridQLD

I have been able to connect to my classic via the local app remotely over the internet in the past but It was a little hit and miss and perhaps more complicated due to my internet provider not offering me a static IP address.I did have a sevice for a while that was updating my dynamic ip and keeping things working (somtimes ;D) But the last time the local app stopped working remotely was around the same time that the new mymidite service came to life. So given I could just use the mymidnite service and I  wasn't completely in the dark when away from the system I put remote local app on the back burner for a while.

This weekend I have changed to a new ADSL providerr and I now have a account with a static IP address  ;D.

So its my understanding now having a static IP address it should make connecting via the local app remotely much easier. Along with this I also took the opportunity to replace my modem router with a much more reliable model.

So I have the modem router up and running and I can view the classic over the local network. I first let the router allocate a local IP address to the classic then switched the classic to use that allocated IP address as a  static . Its all working great locally.

Now my question is what do I type into the configuration on the local app to connect remotely.

classic charge controller local network ip address is        192.168.1.106        on port        502

My main ADSL static ip  is **.**.**.**      (* represents numbers I wasn't sure if I should be posting that online security issue)

So directing the local app to my classic do I need to type my adsl static ip followed by my local ip? and  how is it written. Or am I completely off track? Oh I have also opened port 502 on my router ready to go.

Kurt

Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

cybermaus

Did you open port 502, or forwarded it?

If you forwarded port 502 from the router to the classic, all you need to enter is <public ip>:502
I have the android app working like that too.

offgridQLD

Interesting, That is simple if I can get that to work.

I think I might have just opened the port?  I opened the port 502 using the NAT -- Port Triggering Setup.

Perhaps I need to use the NAT -- Virtual Servers Setup?  I can see there is already some ports listed for BitTorrent  and so on under this one.

EDIT:  I just answerd my own question . I set the classics port under ( Virtual Servers Setup) and just like you said I was able to log on via the local app by just typing my static ip followed by port 502. So I'm 99% sure that should work remotly now. Boy this router is much easier to work with than the last one that had me pulling my hair out, I guess having a static ip now has helped simplify things .

;D thanks for the tips.

Kurt
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

cybermaus

Yes, port trigger only means if there is any outgoing traffic, then for the next minute incoming traffic is automatically forwarded back to the device.

offgridQLD

"If you forwarded port 502 from the router to the classic, all you need to enter is <public ip>:502
I have the android app working like that too.
"

I just tried this on the android app worked great, still need to try it remote from another connection to be 100% sure but looks like its working now.

That will be very handy to now how live/remote monitoring on my android + my midnite should cover all bases. I dont mind that Any actual system adjustments/tweaks can only be done through the local app remote as its not every day they I am tweaking the system.

Kurt

offgridQLD

I have been monitoring the system from the other house all week it's working great 100% solid on local app and android app. So looks like the key to reliability and simplicity was first obtaining a ADSL connection with a static IP and the 2nd contributor was ditching that funky unreliable modem/router i was using and getting one that was simple to set up and reliable .

Incase anyone is interested. The new modem router is a TP-Link TD-W8960N 300M Wireless N ADSL 2+ Modem Router I have gone through about 5 modem's over 10 years or so. Some have sucumed to summer storms and lightning strikes, the new modem lists it has some lightning protection built in.( But how effective it is who knows). Some were locked into a particular ADSL provider so some setting were difficult to impossible to change. Others were just rubbish for other reasons. like wireless range was just to short or unexplained dropouts.

The TP-Link TD-W8960N 300M was only $45(including delivery) so I wasn't expecting much but was trusting a lot of good reviews. Setup was very simple and for once the configuration menus were easy to follow. Overall happy to date with it.

Kurt

Westbranch

Kurt, do you have any SPDs on the AC side of you PV system?  Sure sounds like you need them if you have lost that many modems...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

offgridQLD

Only 2 modems were lost from lightning and only one of them was at this offgrid house. We do have some wild summer storms though and its usually a strike just outside the house that potentially takes out the ADSL modem and phone. The time it took out  our modem it also took out the guys modem across the road 500m away at the same time. I would have thought the phone/ ADSL copper line was sending the death signal to both. That said the last big one that took out our modem did trip the main breaker in the house sub board . The guy across the road said it looked like it was a direct hit on hour house . I guess 350m2 of  steel roof at the top of a mountain there is the potential to attract a strike :o.

I might look into what can be improved. Though I was under the impression that if you get a good solid hit that there isn't much that can fully protect you.

Kurt

Westbranch

Ya, just hope to minimize the damage...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

dRdoS7

Hi,

I may have missed it, but you should set a static IP for the MN Classic on the router so that address isn't given to another device when the router reboot/restarts.

It happened to me many (many) years ago. I had static IPs set on our PCs, we went away for a few months (all power turned off). When we came back nothing would connect. Took me a while to work out what was wrong.

dRdoS7

cybermaus

True. And if you know how to / the router supports it, indeed a static IP is more stable ( I do have it like that myself )

But usually the router will issue the same IP anyway, unless if you have turned of the device for several days. This is called 'dhcp lease time' which is usually counted in hours if not days. So in your 'few months' scenario, indeed you would have lost your lease, but for most people it works with dynamic IP also.

offgridQLD

Yes I agree a static Ip to the outside world and a static local ip locked in is the best.

The local ip for the classic and my security IP cams  I like to set them as static (locally network) My old modem/router Although a rubbish router had one nice feature . There was a little check box (always use same ip for this device) handy feature.

For Pc, laptops, iphone and so on. I just let the router hand out what ever ip it likes (they usually stay the same)  but the IP cams and the classic it's probably best to lock in the local IP. I Will have to dig around in the settings of this new router and see if it has a similar feature to the old one. The trouble is every different brand has its own (in house name ) for essentially the same feature so makes finding what your looking for hard.

Sticking to the one brand and model modem/router is most likely best as you can learn all its ins and outs.

Kurt

dRdoS7

Hi,

Look for DHCP - Address Reservation (or the like). That's where it is on my TP-Link.

dRdoS7