Wind Generators on the Classics

Started by Geeky907, August 30, 2017, 06:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeky907

So... I have a site, with 2x300ish watt wind generators.. currently they're just direct connected to my 24v battery string, Im considering putting in some midnight 150 lite's to tame them.. my question is, can just diode isolate each wind-generator and feed them both into one Classic-150? or do i need a seperate classic for each generator?

Also.. Does anyone have any experience or recomendations on a good wind generator that will handle Arctic weather and put out more than 300w each?

- Geeky

ClassicCrazy

I think Midnite doesn't make the Lite model charge controller any longer - unless you are looking at one that is already in stock somewhere.

I don't know much about wind generators and the Classics . But how are you regulating the charge into the batteries now if they are direct connected ?  Do those wind generators have their own built in charge controllers in them ? If so how would using a Classic help ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

KyleM

Quote from: Geeky907 on August 30, 2017, 06:07:09 PM
So... I have a site, with 2x300ish watt wind generators.. currently they're just direct connected to my 24v battery string, Im considering putting in some midnight 150 lite's to tame them.. my question is, can just diode isolate each wind-generator and feed them both into one Classic-150? or do i need a seperate classic for each generator?

Also.. Does anyone have any experience or recomendations on a good wind generator that will handle Arctic weather and put out more than 300w each?

- Geeky

As ClassicCrazy said the Classic Lite is no longer being manufactured.
You would need to have a Classic on each turbine in order to effectively utilize their power.
Sorry can't help you on the Arctic turbine.

KyleMc

kitestrings

I'd look at Bergey, and some distributors sell them paired with Classic (Kansas Wind IIRC)
http://bergey.com/products/wind-turbines/bergey-excel-1

dgd

Quote from: Geeky907 on August 30, 2017, 06:07:09 PM
So... I have a site, with 2x300ish watt wind generators.. currently they're just direct connected to my 24v battery string, Im considering putting in some midnight 150 lite's to tame them..

I would just leave them connected directly to the battery bank.
Since they are relatively low power compared to the PV array you have,  its unlikely there would be any benefit in connecting via a Classic. I doubt battery overcharging would ever be an issue either. If there is stormy persistent weather then you would probably want to disconnect them from the battery using a run/stop switch.
Otherwise just let them trickle charge their few amps.
AFAIK most smaller turbines have built in regulators so it my be difficult to have the turbine reach Absorb voltage.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand