load management

Started by Barry Fields, May 05, 2024, 02:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Fields

If I had a 2000watt resistive PWM DUMP load, and the average pwm signal (10 minutes) was over 50%, would that not indicate that I have approx 1000watts of available PV power that I should use for and opportunity load?
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

boB

At 50% duty cycle, a 2000W load should be dissipating 1000 watts *IF* the voltage you are applying to that load is at the voltage required to dissipate 2kW in that resistor.

I'd also use a fan.  Maybe.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Where am I going here is as follows:

An opportunity load would be engaged based on the PWM% (last 10 min avg) indicating that excess PV power is available.
That load would stay engaged during a minimum run timer MRT (say 20min) .

When MRT =0 then if PWM%avg >0% and SOC >90% the load would continue for 5minutes and rechecked.

If the PWM%avg <0% or SOC< 90% the load would disengage.

A delayed restart timer DRST (5min) would prevent premature re-engagement.

The system would recheck PWM%avg and SOC every 5minutes for possible re-engagement.

This approach would work even without an actual PWM load.

My planned DUMP LOAD would be a rewired hot water heater run my primary inverter. shown below.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

ClassicCrazy

I  bypass the pv input  around the controller to the resistance heater load. An SSR or DC contactor can be used to switch the PV input. I use a contactor now with it just being on off controlled by Aux . But I guess it could be pwm using a ssr or igbt depending on pv voltage.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Barry Fields

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 07, 2024, 03:45:05 PMI  bypass the pv input  around the controller to the resistance heater load. An SSR or DC contactor can be used to switch the PV input. I use a contactor now with it just being on off controlled by Aux . But I guess it could be pwm using a ssr or igbt depending on pv voltage.
Larry

Thanks for your input. I hate to correct myself twice in the same week but I found an error in the schematic. corrected one below.

My primary Aims 6000w inverter runs continuously for my water pump and fridge and other little stuff I can manually switch from grid. There is room for it to handle another 2kw.
Therefore I chose to use that 220v to run the DUMP. As the DUMP LOAD requires approx 10a @220 it enabled me to use 14-2 wire to that load with a 15a breaker.

How do you trigger opportunity loads?

regards Barry

ClassicCrazy

The Aux contacts on the Classic have lots of different ways to turn on or off or pwm based on voltage, soc, etc . That is what I have been using.
I have a video on how I used the PWM of Waste Not to send extra power to water heater.
But switching the load using PWM might be difficult for the inverter depending - on mine it would make my LED lights flicker though didn't have effect on other loads.
https://youtu.be/s7trVpHLts4?si=gOzi8TAL_mV9fwJO
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable