News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Book recommendations?

Started by elabuelo, March 08, 2024, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elabuelo

New to solar.  Need to learn basics.  What book(s) would you recommend for the beginner who ultimately wants to build a solar powered emergency back up system for his home.  Thanks for your help!

ClassicCrazy

Would you be able to watch youtube videos ?
There were some good beginner videos made by Amy on the AltE page.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoHd6hGDqS06estFS7yMAomuV0hgyH-T5
One thing I think is important to understand when starting with solar is how to calculate power with the equation P( watts) = I (current or amps) x V (volts).
The reason to understand how this works is because amps is not the same between different sources like 12v in a car or solar system and 120v in your wall outlet.
So 12v x 1 amp = 12 watts
120v x 1 amp = 120 watts
big difference in power and you will see people using the term amps but lacking the understanding or context that they are different depending on the system.
Watts is always and equal measure of power so you can compare something like
12watt light will be drawing the same amount of power if it is plugged into a home AC outlet
or if it in  24v solar system.
There is a lot to learn but start at the beginning by understanding power basics and it will help you sift through a lot of things out there.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

elabuelo

Thanks for your input.  Yes, I want to learn (or re-learn as I was supposed to have learned this in college physics. . . but that was a mear 40+ years ago!) basic electrical concepts and in particular how they apply to solar electric applications in the home.  I will definitely look up those videos.  Thanks again!