2050 Firmware PV Voltage Anomalies

Started by Resthome, August 11, 2015, 06:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resthome

The first day of use of 2050 Firmware showed PV Voltage Anomalies for me. Full sun light no clouds and no shade on panels. The PV input voltage would drop to 1/2 the normal PV array voltage for almost exactly one minute. This all occurred in Bulk MPPT. Unfortunately I will not be able to monitor it for the next couple weeks.

Anyone else using 2050 seeing this?

John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

boB

Nothing has been done in that part of the code.  Not sure why it would make a difference now ?

You're 12V battery, right ?   Try Legacy P&O mode.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Resthome

Quote from: boB on August 11, 2015, 12:33:41 PM

Nothing has been done in that part of the code.  Not sure why it would make a difference now ?

You're 12V battery, right ?   Try Legacy P&O mode.

boB

Yep 12v batteries. Too much marine gear running at 12 volts.

I believe i have seen this in the past but will have to go through my data file to see if i can find something similar.

I tried Legacy P&O and it did straighten itself out and went back to Solar and it seem to be okay but i was out of Bulk by that time. I only saw the early Bulk today as we had to leave by 9am this morning but it seems normal to me. But to be truthful I really never have paid attention to the PV Input Voltage before so don't have any thing to compare with.

John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

SolarMusher

John, the next time check Lowmax in the tweak menu.
I saw this problem a few time on mine (1/2 input voltage) and Lowmax solved it.
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

Resthome

Quote from: SolarMusher on August 12, 2015, 07:06:28 AM
John, the next time check Lowmax in the tweak menu.
I saw this problem a few time on mine (1/2 input voltage) and Lowmax solved it.
Erik

Thanks Erik.  I'll try that if it shows up again. I'm not sure why I would want Lomax set as it is suppose to drag the PV input down to battery voltage or within 5v of it. Since I am at 12v batteries + 5 would be around 17v almost the 18v I am seeing. What I don't understand is why it stays there for a full minute. Each drop was showing 1 minute in duration.

Okay boB, In what cases would we want to use Lomax and what is it suppose to accomplish?
John

boB

Lowmax is only useful when the PV array is the same nominal voltage as the battery voltage.

This is the only time where the maximum power point voltage might be down at battery
voltage or possibly even below the battery voltage on a hot day.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Resthome

Quote from: boB on August 13, 2015, 05:43:02 PM

Lowmax is only useful when the PV array is the same nominal voltage as the battery voltage.

This is the only time where the maximum power point voltage might be down at battery

boB

Thanks boB, My panels are 5 strings of 2 in series so i see around 40 Voc and battery bank is 12V so Lowmax doesn't apply for me.
John

boB

Quote from: Resthome on August 13, 2015, 06:01:15 PM
Quote from: boB on August 13, 2015, 05:43:02 PM

boB

Thanks boB, My panels are 5 strings of 2 in series so i see around 40 Voc and battery bank is 12V so Lowmax doesn't apply for me.

Yep.  You are correct.   LowMax not needed in your case.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me