Do I need to use Ground Fault on each of the Classics if I have more than one??

Started by Halfcrazy, November 27, 2011, 07:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

Ground Fault sharing using the Follow Me coordination feature.
To share Ground fault you need to install the GFP Jumper on one classic only. You then need to make sure Ground Fault is Enabled in the tweaks menu for any of the networked Classics you want to shut down on detection of ground fault. For example say you have 3 solar Classics and one Wind Classic and you do not want the wind Classic to shut down for GFP make sure in the tweaks menu of that Classic GFP is Disabled.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

vtmaps

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 27, 2011, 07:35:21 PM
If the jumper is pulled off of the jumper,
huh?

no current can pass through that PTC so no ground fault will occur, even if you leave the GF enabled in the Tweaks menu.
What is PTC?

The idea for networking, which is coming up shortly now, is to have one Classic tell the other Classics that it has a ground fault and so the other Classics can turn off if any other Classic has a fault.
Has this been implemented?

--vtMaps

Vic

Hi vtM,

The latest manua (1/7/13),  as this is written, coveres these issues; page 22:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/classicManual.pdf

PTC = Positive Temperature Coefficient -- a Thermistor.   This is used instead of a Fuse that will blow,  and force the customer to try to find one.  The MN approach is elegant,  no?

Believe that there is a jumper block that can be moved to enable/disable this Thermistor,  and there is the menu item in Tweaks to enable/disable the CC's action.

That is the way I understand it.  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

The jumper on the jumper is really called a "shunt" I think.  It's the thing you slide onto the 2 pins to short
it out.

Vic had the PTC right.
The PTC is a resettable fuse.  When a certain amount of current passes through it, it heats up
and raises its resistance, hence Positive Temperature Coefficient. The Classic senses this
and trips as a ground fault.

This is part of the Follow Me feature if the Classics have their GND FAULT enabled in Tweaks.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: boB on January 10, 2013, 03:00:05 AM

The jumper on the jumper is really called a "shunt" I think.  It's the thing you slide onto the 2 pins to short
it out.

boB

The DIL pins sticking out of the circuit board are often known as a header plug, link header, DIL links etc... and the little, usually black, shorting link is most often called a jumper.
I have also heard it called a 'shorting link'

From manual for an eastern made com port card
"make jumping shorts on 4pin up and down pushing on shorter"

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

Quote from: dgd on January 10, 2013, 06:02:04 AM
Quote from: boB on January 10, 2013, 03:00:05 AM

it out.

boB

The DIL pins sticking out of the circuit board are often known as a header plug, link header, DIL links etc... and the little, usually black, shorting link is most often called a jumper.
I have also heard it called a 'shorting link'

From manual for an eastern made com port card
"make jumping shorts on 4pin up and down pushing on shorter"

dgd

OK, so now with that, I would say...

Install the jumper over the header pins

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me