News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

changing battery bank capacity

Started by unyalli, April 11, 2014, 07:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unyalli

If I'm out boondocking and a battery goes bad so I rewire to eliminate it. Let's say I have 440ah of four six volt gc2 batteries and one of my four six volts dies. My classic is finely tuned for my 440 bank. Can I simply change my bank capacity to 220?

-Jeff

vtmaps

Quote from: unyalli on April 11, 2014, 07:08:27 PM
If I'm out boondocking and a battery goes bad so I rewire to eliminate it. Let's say I have 440ah of four six volt gc2 batteries and one of my four six volts dies. My classic is finely tuned for my 440 bank. Can I simply change my bank capacity to 220?

How large is the array?  My only concern is that you might be able to push too much current into those batteries during bulk.  I wouldn't want to see your classic pushing its 96 amp limit into a 220 ah battery.

Do you also have an inverter/charger?  If so, you might want to check its battery charging amperage limits.

--vtMaps

unyalli

Quote from: vtmaps on April 11, 2014, 09:08:56 PMHow large is the array?  My only concern is that you might be able to push too much current into those batteries during bulk.  I wouldn't want to see your classic pushing its 96 amp limit into a 220 ah battery.
--vtMaps
Thanks but I understand all the details. Question is I have fine tuned my Classic/Kid using the WBjr to provide pretty accurate SOC on a 440 AH battery bank. Can I remove two 6 volt batteries from this bank and change the classic/kid setting to show 220 AH and trust it?

Halfcrazy

Yes. If you change the capacity but it is the same chemistry etc than simply changing the capacity on the WBjr screen and waiting for 1 full charge will put you back in the good.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

unyalli

Quote from: Halfcrazy on April 12, 2014, 07:13:00 AM
Yes. If you change the capacity but it is the same chemistry etc than simply changing the capacity on the WBjr screen and waiting for 1 full charge will put you back in the good.
Nice, thanks