Classic 150 high heat values

Started by KozmoK, May 27, 2014, 07:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KozmoK

I'm here in the desert, and its already 106 today. In looking at the SolarSatus Panel App, I see its at FET: 55.3c PCB: 55.4c  BAT: 38.1c

Is this too hot? When should I be concerned?

How can I change it to (F) from (C)? Where is this imperial setting at?  *EDIT* I see it was removed - sadly.

Vic

Hi Koz..,

WOW!  Things are HOT there.  Looks like the electronics,  and especially the batteries are in the wrong place.

The batteries appear to be about 100 degrees F.   For every ten degrees C above 25 C,  the battery life is cut in half -- suppose that the same can be said for your electronics.

These temps cannot be good for the electronics either.   Sometimes,  there is little that can be done.  Am in an warm/dry climate here,  and A/C the power room as a first priority (above personal comfort) to keep the batts and electronics as cool as possible.   Am going to add some more PV to allow MORE A/C ...  this is not always possible for all.

If you could come up with a Root-Cellar for the power room,  that is sheltered by a structure,  you might be able to reduce these temps by a reasonable amount.   Realize that the over-night low temps may still be high.

EDIT:  And noticed from your post on Wind-Sun,  that your PVs run about 55 Vmp and 64.9 Voc.   And,  that you are running strings of two of these for about 110 Vmp and 130 Voc for the input to the Classic.  In the heat,  these voltages will be lower,  but these high Vs  will cause most any CC to run HOT.  On a 12 V system,  would suggest running all of these PVs in parallel,  even though you are considering a 75 foot nominal run from the PVs to the CC,  IIRC.   You had mentioned that you are in a mountain location,  and this might imply cool/cold Winter months.   With these high Voc values of two PVs,  wonder if you ran strings of two through the Classic String Sizer?   FWIW.

Good Luck,  keep cool.     Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

I wouldn't worry about those Classic temperatures.  The internal temps of 55 degrees C is not a problem.

Not sure about the battery temperature though.

These temperatures are usually more useful in centigrade.

The Local App used to be able to convert those to F but it was confusing to some because
the daily logs were not able to easily be converted to F on the fly.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

KozmoK

Vic,

Thanks for the reply.  I am in the desert (Phoenix) - not mountains (I wish).   The Batterys and CC are in my garage.  in a open cabinet (going to take the doors off) and it has vents on the right side wall of the cabinet, and a vent to outside right behind the batterys (prob why its 100 now)  I have a fan blowing on them (as the load right now).  The 100 degrees on the batterys is the rooms ambient temperature.

I am about to purchase a DC48 Room AC unit for my office as its 82 degrees with all my monitors and computers running.  http://www.hotspotenergy.com/DC-air-conditioner

I am now unsure if I want to invest $2000 in this unit if my setup will be too hot in the garage.

I had used the Midniite String sizing App it suggested 2 series of 2 parallel. 

Here is a pic of the install.

jimbo

What are your overnight temperatures like? If it drops down low enough it would be worth while cooling the batts as much as possible and then insulating them during the day. 
It gets to over 110 here in summer and probably 120 in the 20 foot container that houses my batteries but the highest my batteries have reached is 84.

KozmoK

Well I never considered the batterys being killed by heat!  After I got this all setup finally after many months... I am going to call it quits, and sell it all.  I am not prepared to bring the batterys inside and I can't make it cooler in my garage.

Thanks for all your help guys.

jimbo

In summer i leave the doors to container open which can help.  My batteries are in their own box with holes at the bottom on one side and holes up the top on the other side that vent outside.  There always seems to be a bit of a draft which must help cooling a bit.

Also where is your temp probe? It may be getting some interference from the ambient temp. My cells are kept in 3 separate plastic containers (probably to contain acid in a spill) and i have wedged my probe half way down in between 2 cells.  Batteries have a lot of mass so should be fairly stable. 

Vic

Hi Koz..,

Thanks for the info and the pic of your system.

We all do our best,  given the situation that we are in.   And many of us have a particular sensitivity to some aspect of RE systems.

Perhaps I am a bit too obsessive about heat,   particularly battery heat.    This may not be as important to others,  and may not be that big a deal  in your situation.

Have Fun,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dgd

Koz,

Just looking at your display of Local App screen ad the Classic output Amps is 24.6 and the WBjr is showing -24.6A.
Is it just coincidence that these are the same value - and there is really a 49.2 amp load in use, OR is the shunt just connected wrong way around, ie battery -ve and Load -ve need to be reversed?
If this is the case then the SOC% will be nonsense.

Just out of interest where is the battery temperature being measured, ie where is the temp probe located?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

vtmaps

Quote from: dgd on May 30, 2014, 02:51:25 AM
Is it just coincidence that these are the same value - and there is really a 49.2 amp load in use, OR is the shunt just connected wrong way around, ie battery -ve and Load -ve need to be reversed?

Nice catch, dgd.    --vtMaps