Main Menu

New B

Started by novaz, September 30, 2014, 07:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novaz

Hi just joined up
am a member on NAWS web forum and have learnt quite a bit
hopefully those guys wont mine seeing my post on both forums
Have just started researching  solar and  just have a small 100 watt system in my camper P/U
just to see how the tech works .
i do have a Midnite BCM and am recording my results in not so sunny Seattle
one thing i notice is that if i leave the lights and radio on while stopped for a cup of Joe on my return the monitor will have dropped to show only 10-20% charged
but swings straight over to 100% charged on starting the vehicle
the Renogy  panel is only a 100 watt with 30 amp pwm controller wired via a 2 amp inline fuse direct to the battery .
Am looking forward to learning a bunch  between both sites so that in the future i will have the know how to set up for an off grid cabin system
Thanks
Roy

boB

Hi Roy !   Seattle, huh ?  There are worse places to be !

Hey, we're right up north of you in sunny (well, it's night and dark right now), Everett and Arlington.

Have fun here !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

novaz

Thanks Bob
Am i right in thinking the BCM is reading momentery charge until it sees
either an increase or decrese at the battery
Thanks

boB

The BCM watches your battery voltage and knows pretty much what your charging voltage should be.
This would be the "Absorb" charge cycle and so if you don't get about 2 hours at or above that voltage
for 1 week, an LED will light up to tell you that and same for 2 weeks without a full charge (Absorb cycle)

You can also figure out what your battery voltage is by looking at the position of the LEDs on the scale.

It's slow averaging of the voltage.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

novaz

Thanks Bob
I am beginning to geta grasp on some of this stuff even though i only have a simple experimental system going on
now need to step up to a small MMPT charger as its only a 100watt panel
Roy