Troubleshooting Classic 250 and Excel 1 [SOLVED]

Started by cmascote, November 08, 2014, 11:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmascote

We have everything all wired up but it seems like the midnite is holding back the excel 1. The input VDC only reads 0.1 volts but when i disconnect the bergey the volts shoot up. As soon as I reconnected the bergey and the midnite the blades come to crawl. Wind speed is north of 15 mph.

This is 24v off-grid system. Midnite is set to wind, 24v system, and i selected the bergey excel 1 curve.

Where can i go to try and trouble shoot this issue? I have checked and rechecked all of the MidNite's setting and checked for a short circuit.

Any suggestions?

Westbranch

What does a DMM give you for a resting battery voltage, without any input from the classic?
Sounds like the batteries may be fully charged.  Do you have a dump / diversion load?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

cmascote

The batteries are reading 24.6. I don't think the batteries are fully charged. No dump / diversion load. However, I do have a solar array and I hooked into the same bus bar to send the charge to the batteries. I shut that off to see if it was a feedback issue but no change.

Halfcrazy

So if you disconnect the XL1 from the Classic does the Classic still read 0 volts? Or does it drift up a few volts?

I would check the polarity real close as reverse polarity into the Classic can have this effect but also the voltage when nothing is connected is important

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

cmascote

It drifts way up to like 14/15 volts when i disconnect the XL1.

TomW

It is normal for the input to show a portion of the battery volts when disconnected.

I am leaning towards the reversed polarity theory.

Not familiar with the XL1 but if you can let it free wheel long enough to verify the polarity is correct at the cable end at The Classic that is where I would start. I have been working with electrons for decades and still occasionally have a Senior Moment on polarity.  :-[

I ain't no expert so just a thought.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

24.6 V is an almost dead battery, you needd to check your CC settings and change them after you have verified the polarity..

hth
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

cmascote

TomW

Great news!

I marked this [SOLVED].

Wish all remote troubleshooting was this easy.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies