Whizbang Junior Vs MNBCM who to believe???

Started by mooseandpebs, July 30, 2015, 03:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooseandpebs

I have the Whizbang Junior installed and the MNBCM installed. The Whizbang Jr. says the SOC,(State Of Charge) is 94% and the MNBCM says the SOC is 50%. Which one is right?
Thanks!

Vic

In general,  battery Monitoring devices can only be as accurate as is the setup information about the system as has been entered into them.

Rate of discharge and charge of the battery affects the actual capacity,  and there are many other variables that really require a fairly accurate mathematical model of the actual battery being monitored.

The WBjr is a very useful tool,  and very inexpensive,  at that.   In general,  these monitors  give a quick rough approximation of the SOC.   The WBjr  keeps very accurate count on the AH removed and returned to the battery.   How these factors affect the ACTUAL SOC is fairly difficult to derive,   IMO.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

CDN-VT

Whizbang Junior over the MNBCM , but you need to make sure all the correct settings are in the menu 3 of the WBjr . the BCM is a quick  look from afar,.
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

boB

Yeah, if the WB Jr. invormation is correct and the charger has gone from Absorb to Float,
the WB Jr. should be more accurate I would think.

The MNBCM only looks at battery voltage so is just an approximation.

The main reason for the BCM is to show the user that the batteries did not
get a full charge (Absorb actually) within the last week or two but looking at the voltage
and time.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me