Firmware 2050

Started by zoneblue, August 12, 2015, 05:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoneblue

Well heres a few thoughts on my experience installing it:

1. Fails to install on XP, (exe installs fine, but on clicking the 150V button on main dialog get error Classic-update-all is not a valid windows applicaton) words to that effect

2. The windows 8 instructions... yikes, really?. I know you cant always see things like driver signatures coming, but i just want to say right here, right now, that this proceedure for windows 8 is just beyond what you can reasonably expect the average person to perserve through. For one thing it involves two computer reboots (thus ones instructions pdf window gets closed (HINT: PRINT THE INSTRUCTIONS OFF FIRST), and some scary @^# system dialogs.

3. After you restart the classic after the firmware update, on a LITE i got same pattern of flashing MNLP lights as you get during the firmware update itself. Ive never seen this before, and it caused me to believe that the firmware update either needed to process (no), or it had failed. (so i reinstalled/repeated everything from scratch, but only to get the same result). HOWEVER, the hardware VMM,  resolved this. After that, local app to fix the battery voltage (it seems to remember many things like voltage setpoints and IP address, but resets the battery voltage (weird if you ask me). Turns on random items like lomax and clipper (again weird).

Will update on how she runs later on.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

zoneblue

Nothing unsual about the pv sweeps here, same as before. (2050 is after the half hour gap).

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

boB

Yes, windows 8+ sucks.  I'm pretty sure that Micro$oft just wants more money and makes people
go through all these hoops just to install a driver !

Yeah, the drivers for XP and win 7 aren't great and can use some tweaking (it's a timing problem),
but as I understand and hear, once you get the drivers installed on windows 8 or 8.1 the Classic
update problems go away.  It's always something !  Wish it could be as easy to update a Classic
as it would be for a Kid, but then other OS's like OS X wouldn't be able to be used.  Not that there
are many ppl using OS X.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarWind

"Not that there are many ppl using OS X" boB???

Hey man, look around.

Resthome

Quote from: boB on August 13, 2015, 02:24:18 AM

Yes, windows 8+ sucks.  I'm pretty sure that Micro$oft just wants more money and makes people
go through all these hoops just to install a driver !

Yeah, the drivers for XP and win 7 aren't great and can use some tweaking (it's a timing problem),
but as I understand and hear, once you get the drivers installed on windows 8 or 8.1 the Classic
update problems go away.  It's always something !  Wish it could be as easy to update a Classic
as it would be for a Kid, but then other OS's like OS X wouldn't be able to be used.  Not that there
are many ppl using OS X.

boB

I managed to get a drive installed on Win10 but it was not like win8.1 because it comes up with the Microsoft Serial USB drive by default (as soon as you plug the Classic USB into the computer). It uses the same USBSer.sys and of course the inf file is not modified to show the MN names. The big question is are they the same or different drivers as the one supplied by MN is from 2004 I believe and is apparently open source code. So with the MN driver installed and set to COM8 the Classic update software thinks there is nothing on COM8. Yet the Ports setting clearly shows it installed and on Com8.

So if it's a timing thing can anything be done to improve or fix it or are we nearing the end of firmware updates for the current set of Classic controllers.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Resthome

Quote from: zoneblue on August 12, 2015, 05:47:47 PM
Nothing unsual about the pv sweeps here, same as before. (2050 is after the half hour gap).

Thanks Zoneblue... I believe this has nothing to do with 2050 like boB said. I am looking back through some old data to see if i can find this happening before. It appears to be rare. I noticed it because of the sawtooth dips in the WBjr reading to the battery bank and with clear skies and no shadows on the panel could not understand why it was staying at the lower PV voltages for over 1 minute. It's as if the Classic was loading the panels and it failed to calculate the MPP. But it seem to be stuck in the cycle until I switched to Legacy P&O and then back to Solar. Oh well better things to work on than chasing ghosts.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA