Can a MSW inverter help charge a PSW inverter/charger?

Started by Susido, February 29, 2016, 01:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susido

I'm asking this because I have or will soon have enough leftover components to create an entire additional system to potentially supplement my existing 48v system of 468 amp/hr 6V batteries, Classic 150, Magnum PSW inverter/charger and about 3200 watts in 12v 130w solar panels. For whatever reason, all those solar panels rarely produce more than 35 - 40 amps in bright sunlight so I could do with a bit of a boost there.

What I also have leftover from previous systems is a reasonably sized 12v wind generator, about 400 watts of other 12v panels I don't use in current system because they are too small, 6 salvaged 6V GC batteries in good shape so about 630 amp/hr, separate 12v wind and solar controllers, diversion loads, and a 1500w higher quality MSW 12v inverter/charger.

Ideally, whenever the 12v system's batteries are fully charged, I'd like to be able to plug in the output from the MSW inverter into the Magnum charger (rather than the generator). Will the Magnum be happy with MSW input or should I get a small PSW 12v inverter?

Seasonally off-grid ... 468 Ahrs @ 48V (8 Rolls S-605 6v FLA batteries),  24 x 130watt panels, 3 x 260watt  panels, 2 x Midnite Classic 150, Whizbang Jr., Magnum MS4448PAE inverter/charger, 2 x Honda eu2000i generators paralleled.

SW Saskatchewan Canada (1 mile and $50k away from the grid)

mike90045

A PSW inverter/charger is not likely to qualify a Mod sine inverter as a power source.  There are many instances of chargers not recognizing a generator with a less than pristine waveform. Mod sine is not going to push much power through a transformer anyway.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Robin

Let me understand this better. You have a bunch of batteries and solar panels. You do not get full output from the panels. I suspect you have a mismatch of panels. Please let us know the specs on them and quantities of each.
You want to drain a perfectly good set of 12V batteries using a modified sinewave inverter to charge a Magnum so it can charge a 48V bank. That just doesn't sound like a good thing to do. If the 12V bank is actually good, then hook it up at 48V and add to your existing bank. If the batteries are all a hodge podge like I suspect, the4n do not do that. You do not want to hook up a worn out battery to a good one. It would work if your 12V inverter was a sinewave though.

Robin Gudgel

Halfcrazy

Mike is correct. The Magnum wont be happy with the Mod sine inverter. I would find a 48v Iota charger or something similar
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time