Does the Classic have this Outback feature?

Started by asdex, July 26, 2016, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asdex

Saw on the Outback feature this mentioned for adding a wind generator:
"In general, it’s OK to charge a single battery bank from multiple charging sources. If another
source is able to maintain the battery voltage above the MX60’s target absorb voltage, the
MX60’s display will read “Absorb‐EX” and it will stop delivering charge current to the battery
bank."
Does the Classic detect an alternate generating voltage and allow for it?
Thanks,
6 x JA Solar 320w solar panels facing NW, 4 x 300w panels facing North. 2x 24volt 280ah LiFePO4 batteries in parallel, Classic and WBJr, Epever 50A controller, Outback FX2024 inverter and Mate, Victron BMV-712 monitor, Alibaba solar pump.

Syonyk

I don't think it will specifically detect another source, but as long as the voltages are set to around the same thing, it will happily coexist with other current sources.

Vic

Quote from: asdex on July 26, 2016, 07:58:21 PM
Saw on the Outback feature this mentioned for adding a wind generator:
"In general, it’s OK to charge a single battery bank from multiple charging sources. If another
source is able to maintain the battery voltage above the MX60’s target absorb voltage, the
MX60’s display will read “Absorb‐EX” and it will stop delivering charge current to the battery
bank."
Does the Classic detect an alternate generating voltage and allow for it?
Thanks,

asdex,

Most Charge Controllers can tolerate additional charge sources.   But,  each charge source should,   ideally,  be trying to charge or maintain the battery at a voltage very close to that of other charge sources.

The Classic may display on the MNGP,  "Battery over V" if the voltage from another charge source is higher than that of the Classic.

This is from the Classic Version 2056 Manual  - Troubleshooting section,  it says,

"My Classic says ―Battery over V‖ on the display
*This is an indication the Classic thinks the battery voltage is to high and has stopped charging.
*This can happen with multiple controllers that are not networked together if one of the classics goes to float it can show this and will go away as soon as the other controller goes to float.
*If this is a new install the wrong nominal voltage may be selected and a factory restore will be needed.
*if this is a running system then you may have another charging source that has malfunctioned and over charging the battery bank"

So,  IMO,  the answer is YES,   ...    I think.    FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Halfcrazy

That is correct all the FM is doing is seeing the battery voltage rise above its setpoint. The Classic will do the same thing but it says Bat Ov V
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

asdex

Great, thanks for that. I should be able to adjust wind and solar to charge.
Cheers,
6 x JA Solar 320w solar panels facing NW, 4 x 300w panels facing North. 2x 24volt 280ah LiFePO4 batteries in parallel, Classic and WBJr, Epever 50A controller, Outback FX2024 inverter and Mate, Victron BMV-712 monitor, Alibaba solar pump.

tecnodave

Asdex,

Multiple controllers are generally not a problem in charging but equal load sharing will require adjusting voltage set points and vbatt offset voltage to achieve balanced loads between the controllers.
Things will work fine at bulk but at absorb one controller will be doing the bulk of the work. It will require some tinkering with the voltage set values

David
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

boB

Battery Over V  s shown (or supposed to be shown) when the voltage is much higher than
the set point....  Not just a little.  However, if Follow-Me is not being used, one Classic is
in Absorb and another is in Float or another source is set higher than the classics, then
you may see that Over V message.  Otherwise, the classic that is not helping out with the
Float or Absorb or EQ will eventually go to Resting.

So, yes, it has the feature but does not show "-EX" for external.

I think though that the latest code may indicate the reason for resting (RFR)
in this case if you look at that status screen and know the number.  The EX
notation is   nice idea though. We will add messages as time allows.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

asdex

keppelk

Have seen this recently in my setup with a mains battery charger bring the pack voltage above the Classic set point. Local app showed RFR 38 (Unknown). Would be good to add the description to the Local App.

From the firmware change log:

Quote8-5-2015  Classic Rev 2050
   More Classic SL mode limit fix

Added Reason For Resting 38 that will force to resting if external
   charging sources are present, raising Vbatt above set point V. and 0 watts

GUI.exe changed back to original version.
Classic 200 - 3 strings of 4x 255W panels, Classic Lite 200 - 3 strings of 4x 255W panels = 6.12kW (24x BenQ PM245P00 255W)
16 cell Sinopoly 400Ah lithium battery w Ligoo EK-FT-12 BMS. Latronics LS7048 7kW 240V inverter