Midnite Classic settings for Absorb

Started by asdex, October 09, 2016, 10:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asdex

My system is working well except for one thing.
The charge controller switches a SSR at 100% SOC and then off at 98% SOC to heat the water cylinder.
The problem is the controller stays in absorb along time slowing bringing the batteries up to 100% and often its only 4 or 5 amps maybe for a couple of hours.
Once the bank reaches 100% and the SSR operates the current goes up to 30 amps or so for the element.
This shows there is plenty of PV output but it’s all wasted until the batteries hit 100%.
Is there a way of increasing the absorb rate of charge without increasing the absorb voltage?
Or should I just make the end amps say 5 amps?
Thanks,
6 x JA Solar 320w solar panels facing NW, 4 x 300w panels facing North. 2x 24volt 280ah LiFePO4 batteries in parallel, Classic and WBJr, Epever 50A controller, Outback FX2024 inverter and Mate, Victron BMV-712 monitor, Alibaba solar pump.

boB

Have you thought about maybe trying out the Waste-Not mode ?  This way, the load can provide the method to keep
the system regulated at the absorb voltage instead of the classic backing off the charge rate for that purpose.

There are some posts on this web forum on how to do this but basically you adjust the Waste-Not set-point
to be slightly less than the actual Absorb voltage set point.  For example, Waste-Not equal to -0.3 volts
or so and maybe even raise the official absorb voltage set point up a couple tenths of a volt so that
there is a wee bit of space between the two voltages.

There isn't unfortunately a combination of SOC% aux output and waste-not output BUT you could
possibly combine both aux 1 and aux 2 outputs to do this.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

asdex

Thanks, I'll give this a try when I'm there next. Wouldn't want to use both aux and loose my WizBjr.
Cheers,
6 x JA Solar 320w solar panels facing NW, 4 x 300w panels facing North. 2x 24volt 280ah LiFePO4 batteries in parallel, Classic and WBJr, Epever 50A controller, Outback FX2024 inverter and Mate, Victron BMV-712 monitor, Alibaba solar pump.

asdex

Hi, waste Not hi worked alot better. The controller must sense when there is access power and the aux came on while in absorb.
I got 7.7kwh into my water heater for the day.
Thanks,