Charge settings

Started by Dgrblu, April 13, 2023, 10:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgrblu

PSD6-424.pdf

I'm trading out my 6v FLA 430ah 48v battery bank to these AGM batteries,  see attachment. I'm having trouble interpreting the data sheet to come up with values to  enter into the Classic 150;
Charge Menu
  Absorb-volts.           7.3?
  Flt-volts.              6.9?
Charge Time
  Absorb.                 3h30min?
T-Comp
  Comp-mv/DegC/Cell
  Disable/mv.              -3mv?
  TempComp Setpoint-volts.  ?
Advanced
  EndingAmps.               ?
  ReBulk-volts.             ?
  Skip Days.                0
  Classic/Shunt.            ?
Limits
  Output-amps.              88.0?
  Input-amps.               99.0?
  Mint-Comp-volts.          ?
  Max-Volts.                ?
  HiBatt-TempC.             170?

I'm mostly guessing here with no clue on the blank?
Any input on how to charge these things before putting them into service ie. Charge the bank up, let sit for 24hrs, recharge sit another day then put into service the 3rd day?

Thank you
4.4 Kw Off Grid system
6 strings of 3 panels (825w/string)
Midnite combiner
Classic 150
Magnum PAE sine inverter
Magnum distribution panel, expandable.

ClassicCrazy

Those charge voltages seem a bit high compared to most other agm battery specs I have seen.
Some of the other specs seem a bit inflated - so wonder if they are just like some Chinese products where they do that to look better than competition. Who knows ? I don't see any manufacturer contact or country listed on that spec sheet.
If you look at the charge characteristic  graph it shows 2.43v per cell x 3 = 7.3v
So 7.3v x 8 = 58.4v
Float would be 54.4v
Looks like absorb time would be 2 hours though I would set it to three if you use ending amps.
-4 mv temp comp (cycle charging)
I don't really understand their graph for determining ending amps .
You will have to experiment with finding the ending amps by watching the current when it gets to absorb voltage and see where the charging current begins to level off at. see this for more info on ending amps
https://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/faq.php?id=113
 I don't know from the specs if you set the capacity for those batteries at 400 amps or 300 amps seems more realistic.
They do show the longevity of the batteries is much much longer if you only take 20% capacity out of the batteries 
You should try to contact the vendor or manufacturer and ask them.
And yes you want to fully charge and deep cycle them at least a few times to break them into their full capacity.
Here is East Penn Deka agm charging specs for comparison.
https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/wp-content/uploads/Renewable-Energy-Charging-Parameters-1913.pdf
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

The skip days depends on how you use your system - does it float all the time or cycled every day ? And some of that  was more critical to flooded lead acid than maybe to agm since the electrolyte could stratify if not actively charging every day . Not sure if that is an issue with agm .
It says in the specs you can charge up to 120 amps so you can leave the max the controller will do .
Did you already purchase your batteries or are you investigating new option ?  Wonder if you considered lithiums instead ?
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Dgrblu

""Did you already purchase your batteries or are you investigating new option ?  Wonder if you considered lithiums instead ?""

Long story short, someone decided that they needed my batteries more than I did so the PSD6 were the quickest I could get agm batteries. I live in a cold climate, batteries in an unheated space, so charging of lithium spooks me, plus for 5 months of the winter the system is shut down also cost was a major factor with the PSD6 costing $400.00 ea. I Believe they are manufactured in Vietnam.

The FLA batteries that I had would usually go to float by 11am each day so I'm not sure if  ""it float all the time or cycled every day ?"" My guess it cycled every day.

My plan is to fully charge up the bank, let them sit over night, then allow the bank to go to float again before putting them in use.

Thanks Larry

4.4 Kw Off Grid system
6 strings of 3 panels (825w/string)
Midnite combiner
Classic 150
Magnum PAE sine inverter
Magnum distribution panel, expandable.

ClassicCrazy

yes I have had gel type batteries(called lead crystal) in unheated space and your agm are the best selection for cold weather performance. You are correct - not sure if I would even trust the lithiums that have heaters built into them. Problem is lithiums will just shut down if their bms doesn't like something and then you are out of power till you can correct issues. 
You want to draw down the batteries more than to float for a few cycles. Take them down to 50% or more of their capacity and then recharge. I didn't understand that I needed to do that when I first got mine. They won't be acting properly for charging if you don't do that.
On your old FLA pack it would have benefited by skip days when not much load on them. With any lead acid for longest life span, you are best if you don't take more than 20% capacity out of them.
Your batteries may be very good quality cells .
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable