Graphing detail change?

Started by Wxboy, July 14, 2012, 08:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wxboy

Is it just me or does the power graph not show as much detail as it used to?  I'm seeing much more in the way of flat lines rather than peaks and valleys.  For example a flat line can now vary from 70 to 140 watts(roughly).  In the past I remember seeing much more detail on the power(watts) graph.  I don't know if this was a firmware change or if I changed a setting somehow.  I didn't look at all of the graphs but I did looks at the volts in graph and that looked normal.  I recently upgraded to the latest firmware version(this month). 
Midnite Classic 150, 765 watt array, Outback Radian GS4048A inverter, 200ah 48v agm battery bank

boB

I changed the linear graphs to show more detail (peaks and valleys) but did not touch the power graphs.

At least I didn't intend to.  I'll have a look though.  Power is scaled in a logarithmic manner while everything
else is linear.

Are you looking at the same amount vertical range when you notice this ??  i.e.  is the highest and lowest
numbers as wide of separation as you remembered from before ??

Maybe it needs a gain adjustment of some sort.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Wxboy

My power range is pretty narrow(0-250ish watts) so I think I'm looking at the same thing I used to.  I haven't looked at the graphs in about a month so I'm going by memory but I seem to remember seeing small power variations in the graph which I'm not seeing now.  I definitely don't remember seeing flat lines for hours at a time with varying power conditions. 

I also noticed when I went to logs that it showed 00:00 for float time today but when looking at the graph I see it was in float stage for about 30 minutes.  Should the daily float time at the main logs screen update right away or is that delayed by a few hours?  It is showing float time in the daily logs for previous days.  I'll have to watch the daily float time more regularly to see what happens with this.   
Midnite Classic 150, 765 watt array, Outback Radian GS4048A inverter, 200ah 48v agm battery bank

Wxboy

Just realized why the float time for today is probably reading zero.  I had to reset the Classic to bring the local app. back to life and since my MNGP battery is dead(tests at less than 2v) it may have reset the float time like it does the daily kwh.  Time for a new battery I guess.  Any idea how long that battery should last or how many hours it will hold things for when it's new?  When I first got the Classic I fired it up to see the display and then took it offline for a few weeks but I took the battery out so I'm not sure how I killed the battery. 

Lya72

Hi,

On my new Classic, i also encountered a MNGP battery problem.

After producing some hours during the first afternoon, in the night, i had to stop the Classic in order to add new peripherals. After the reboot, i saw on the status screen that the day production was resetted to zero. Also, i saw that date/Time returns to the 2000 year.

Then, i extract the MNGP battery of his case, and press carefully, with a little screwdriver, on the two contacts which are in the middle of this battery case.

After that, i reinsert the battery and set date/Time. One hour later, i stopped the Classic for ten minutes after the reboot, date/Time were correct.

So, the solution came from the battery extraction/reinsertion OR from the better electrical contact between the battery and his metal box ?????

Test it !!

Yann
1 Classic 200, 4 SILLIA panels 240W in 2 strings of 2, ie 960Watts and 60.8 Volts, 4 MIDAC Batteries 6V 240Ah, ie 24V bank (acid batteries)

boB

Quote from: Lya72 on July 16, 2012, 03:28:13 PM
Hi,

On my new Classic, i also encountered a MNGP battery problem.

After producing some hours during the first afternoon, in the night, i had to stop the Classic in order to add new peripherals. After the reboot, i saw on the status screen that the day production was resetted to zero. Also, i saw that date/Time returns to the 2000 year.

Then, i extract the MNGP battery of his case, and press carefully, with a little screwdriver, on the two contacts which are in the middle of this battery case.

After that, i reinsert the battery and set date/Time. One hour later, i stopped the Classic for ten minutes after the reboot, date/Time were correct.

So, the solution came from the battery extraction/reinsertion OR from the better electrical contact between the battery and his metal box ?????

Test it !!

Yann

Yann...
Yes !   I have seen this before myself and whenever I replace or install a battery, I do press those little contact fingers
down like you did.  I thought that production was already doing this but will check.  It may be that over time, the fingers
loosen up some and need another little push like you did.

Wxboy...
This little coin cell battery ~should~ be lasting at least a year even if the MNGP isn't plugged in.  When the MNGP is connected
to the Classic, that battery shouldn't be having to power anything since the external power should then be running the
clock and calendar.  The battery is supposed to be used for when people do things like you did...  TO temporarily turn
things off.

BTW, if you turned the Classic's power off before midnight, yes, you will lose the day's  kW-hours.

There actually is a way to force a new day in case you had to do something like this.
Go to the LOGS and DAILYS menu, and then I think (don't have a Classic in front of me right now)
you hold down the left-arrow key or soft-left key and TAP the ENTER key...  Or, you could set the
clock to just before midnight, say, 23:58:00 and wait for midnight to come around and then set
it back to the correct time.  Of course, this will cause a double data point for the same day.
I think either method may do that actually but your day's kW-hour value will get added to the
lifetime if you have to have that.

I will digest the other question about Float time.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Wxboy

Thanks for the tip boB.  I was going to ask if I could force the Classic to save the kWh info. because I lose it every time I reset it so I will try what you said. 

Did you happen to check the power graph(watts) to see if it changed?  I am pretty sure that it did but maybe you did it on purpose because it works better for people with larger systems and not just one panel like mine?