clock keeps resetting

Started by Web4Deb, October 05, 2012, 06:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Web4Deb

I have 2 classic 150 controllers.  On a cold boot, one keeps the clock settings, the other doesn't.  Yes, I checked to see if the little tab was behind the battery.   ::)  Also, thinking maybe the battery was no good, I swapped them, with no luck.

(Of course I'm assuming the battery in the display is the one that is keeping the clock running....)

Any suggestions?

boB

Quote from: Web4Deb on October 05, 2012, 06:27:47 PM
I have 2 classic 150 controllers.  On a cold boot, one keeps the clock settings, the other doesn't.  Yes, I checked to see if the little tab was behind the battery.   ::)  Also, thinking maybe the battery was no good, I swapped them, with no luck.

(Of course I'm assuming the battery in the display is the one that is keeping the clock running....)

Any suggestions?

Here is a suggestion....

Pull out the battery in the MNGP that doesn't keep time and use a screwdriver or something to
poke those 2 battery hold down prongs down.  Sometimes they don't push the
battery enough to make a good connection.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi W4D,

I had that same issue with one Classic here.  In another thread,   which I cannot fint right now,  there was a info that when updating the FW,  that one should wait a few minutes (actually a minute or more)  after the updater software said 100% complete with download.  Often,  but not in all configurations,  the mostly black DOS type window will close during this interval.

Based on the above,  I uploaded the FW again in each Classic,  waited 4 or5 minutes after the loader said "complete",  and did what is referred to "Vulcan Mind Meld"   as noted in the " Stop and sweep MPPT"  Thread ...  following was excised from  boB's post #9 in that  Thread:

>>"When you updated the firmware, I don't suppose you did a "Vulcan Mind Meld" to re-initialize
variables ??   This is where you hold the LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys down as the MNGP (remote)
in re-booting (power up) until you see the selection screen  SOLAR--WIND--HYDRO come up.

Then pick your mode (SOLAR in your case), nominal battery voltage (it should guess the proper
voltage), adjust the Absorb, Float, EQ voltage, then set the clock.  The MNGP will then send
a bunch of modbus data to the Classic which will initialize some newer modbus registers
that may very well not have been in the old firmware.

One of those registers is the low watts that the Classic will start Resting at if the Classic isn't
producing at least that value.  I have a feeling you just need to do this re-initialization.

TO re-boot, just power down and power back up again.  This will reset any custom
battery voltage set points to factory default but it isn't working correctly now anyway.

Please give this a try.   The new registers should be documented in the latest and
greatest modbus document coming up soon.   (I hope soon, anyway).

We need to stress this VMM process to be done after certain (most ?) updates for
this reason.

Sorry for all the trouble.  I think this might just be it though.
boB<<"

For me,  updating the FW with the wait at the end,  and  doing the VMM reboot  together fixed the date/time changing issue for me.
Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Vic, there have been scattered but fortunately fairly rare reports of the year getting reset to 2000 (the minimum it will go)
on the MNGP (Remote)...   I had not thought of the possibility you just brought up of the firmware not getting that extra
minute until the screen shows "Update Successful"   I think it is maybe being responsible for those.  You might have
something there !!

I believe that in this particular case it is just that those prongs are not making a good connection or maybe the
coin cell battery is dead for whatever reason.   OR, maybe there is something wrong with that battery circuit in
the MNGP ??

Thanks for the ideas !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi boB,

Well,  I forgot to begin my post,  above,  with  "W4D,  if the battery prong/contact trick does not work,  you might try the following ..."

Just came back to edit that post.

You are the main Guru on this,  should have said that as well ...

The Year reversion was more common on my Classic,  but it had the incorrect time once as well...

I dunno,  but for we users or MN products,  it is sure nice that you never seem to take a day off!  Thanks,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!