Stop and sweep MPPT

Started by stephendv, September 14, 2012, 04:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

boB,

Yes,  the community discussion is a huge help,  but so is the involvement of Principals/Engineering.  This is quite unique!

Most companies want to try to hide their from customer feedback and experiences.  It takes guts to host a forum where this is public discussion.

Another unique thing about MidNite is that there is the relentless drive to make products better and better.  You folks sure dazzle and spoil us.

Thanks boB and MidNite Crew.   It is impossible for me to imagine how you guys could do a better job than you are doing!  73,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

I did the two arrows down on boot reset  - maybe it will fix the behavior I was having with mine where it went low volts in . I also noticed in the old config that Partial Shading was checked and now it is not checked - so that is maybe why it kept going back and forth between that mode. I left it unchecked.

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on September 16, 2012, 04:07:46 PM
I did the two arrows down on boot reset  - maybe it will fix the behavior I was having with mine where it went low volts in . I also noticed in the old config that Partial Shading was checked and now it is not checked - so that is maybe why it kept going back and forth between that mode. I left it unchecked.

The parial shading option in tweaks menu only turns on and off the reporting of partial shading.  It does not change the
operation of the sweeping.

The VMM left-right arrow quick-set initialization may help you though.  Lets see...

What is the power output when your system is working and have you tried wiggling wires when it
is operating to make sure connections are good ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: boB on September 16, 2012, 04:21:28 PM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on September 16, 2012, 04:07:46 PM

The parial shading option in tweaks menu only turns on and off the reporting of partial shading.  It does not change the
operation of the sweeping.

The VMM left-right arrow quick-set initialization may help you though.  Lets see...

What is the power output when your system is working and have you tried wiggling wires when it
is operating to make sure connections are good ?

boB

Okay back out to my solar setup  - Here is what it is doing . Overcast morning , the classic keeps going into resting and will show 79 volts then goes to Bulk and it will at first show 79 and then start dropping to 12.4 volts with battery 12.6. When it comes out of resting low light mode it shows charging 79 volts 10 watts or so but current drops with the voltage drop current 0 .  A couple times it came out of resting low light and only dropped to 48 volts input , but then went back to resting low light and came out 12 volts in charging 3 watts. It does this every few minutes.  Now went from 77  volts resting to that voltage bulk dropped to 47 volts charging  15 watts and 1.3  amp . 

If the sun comes out it will probably straighten itself out like it did last week. 

All my connections seemed tight and dry when I checked them last week. But I will check again later. 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on September 22, 2012, 09:09:37 AM

Okay back out to my solar setup  - Here is what it is doing . Overcast morning , the classic keeps going into resting and will show 79 volts then goes to Bulk and it will at first show 79 and then start dropping to 12.4 volts with battery 12.6. When it comes out of resting low light mode it shows charging 79 volts 10 watts or so but current drops with the voltage drop current 0 .  A couple times it came out of resting low light and only dropped to 48 volts input , but then went back to resting low light and came out 12 volts in charging 3 watts. It does this every few minutes.  Now went from 77  volts resting to that voltage bulk dropped to 47 volts charging  15 watts and 1.3  amp . 

If the sun comes out it will probably straighten itself out like it did last week. 

All my connections seemed tight and dry when I checked them last week. But I will check again later.

You may have something with the loose connections but have you tried the Vulcan mind meld (VMM)
I talked about below in this forum thread ??   I don't know if you have updated your Classic firmware
or not, but it's worth a try.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Yep I did VMM last week to see if it would solve this . Any chance the fact that I wired both negative terminals in the controller would affect this ? I saw in the manual it said you only needed one - I hooked negative from PV directly to controller and on the negative terminal next to it I brought the common negative from the Mini DC disconnect .
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable