Follow me resting and absorb at the same time

Started by toothy, December 14, 2012, 02:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toothy

I have 2 Classics one standard with MNGP controlling a wind turbine and a Lite controlling some solar they are wired together as "follow me".

I am trying to use Aux2 waste not high on the standard Classic to switch on a ssr.

The question is, if there is no wind so that the standard Classic says resting but there is sun and the Lite Classic has extra power, how do I get them on the same page so the standard turns on Aux2?
I was thinking of an Aux2 jumper but didn't want to blow the thing up. I also thought of insomnia but didn't know if that was correct either.

I thought "follow me" told the controller to the right to do as I do in a loop. If that is the case how can I have one in absorb and one resting.

I could have anything wired or set wrong but it seems to work alright, I can read and program the Lite from the MNGP. There is one installation issue I have the Lite addressed as #10 and #11 with # 12 being the Standard Classic. I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of an improper address #10 or 11. Also I see " got com?" pop up every once in a while on the bottom of the display.

Thanks
Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

boB

You will have to unplug the MNLP on the Lites.  turns out that the MNLP  (the Lite LED and switch panel) messes
up the Follow-Me communications and I think your MNGP LCD as well.

We have since fixed this in the MNLP and can fix yours too but for the moment, just unplug the 2 MNLPs.

I am not quite understanding though.  You have 2 Classics or 3 Classics ?

Even with Follow-Me, each Classic has its own separate input power source.  Solar or Wind, etc.
So, if one of the Classics has input voltage above battery and is on and running, that will not
make the other Classic turn on if it doesn't have any input voltage.  Or maybe your second
Classic is a wind controller and there is just no wind at the moment ??    Follow-Me basically
just lets the Classics know what charging stage it should be at.  Absorb, Float, EQ, or, MPPT
versions of those 3 stages if not enough power to keep that Classic at battery set point
voltage.  Of course, if one Classic is at the set point voltage, then the other one should
also be seeing that voltage, but sometimes they aren't exactly 100% thinking the battery
voltage is the same if it is off by 0.1 or 0.2 or 0.3 volts or so.  If so, it MAY stay in resting
just because it thinks the battery voltage is already at set point and the Classic cannot
do much by coming out of Resting.   If they are off in voltage, you may want to get one
a bit closer by tweaking the battery voltage offset in Tweaks.
I have a feeling that isn't your problem here though.

But maybe I haven't understood what you are asking ??

The Aux outputs do not follow each other.  They work independently.
We may do something with Aux outputs and Follow-Me some day though.

OK, now what am I missing.  I have a feeling I did not quite answer your
question fully.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

toothy

Thanks boB

I have 2 Classics one on wind one on solar with the MNLP unhooked on the Lite, I got that memo on here somewhere, I think Ryan had it in red letters so I paid attention.

I am trying to run one ssr for diversion from Aux2 but wind and solar have divertible power at different times, like while the other is resting.

I now understand that input voltage needs to be above battery to keep each unit on and in the same charge stage, so lets ignore the follow me stuff.

Can I wire the + to + and – to – of Aux2 between the 2 Classics, both set to waste not high, to provide a signal to the ssr when either Classic has divertible power?? Or will they go to smoking like fiends if I do that?

I need a signal voltage to my ssr diversion relay when either charge controller has divertible power. I'm all ears for an elegant solution.

Thanks
Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

boB

Quote from: toothy on December 15, 2012, 01:49:14 AM
Thanks boB

I have 2 Classics one on wind one on solar with the MNLP unhooked on the Lite, I got that memo on here somewhere, I think Ryan had it in red letters so I paid attention.

I am trying to run one ssr for diversion from Aux2 but wind and solar have divertible power at different times, like while the other is resting.

I now understand that input voltage needs to be above battery to keep each unit on and in the same charge stage, so lets ignore the follow me stuff.

Can I wire the + to + and – to – of Aux2 between the 2 Classics, both set to waste not high, to provide a signal to the ssr when either Classic has divertible power?? Or will they go to smoking like fiends if I do that?

I need a signal voltage to my ssr diversion relay when either charge controller has divertible power. I'm all ears for an elegant solution.

Thanks
Wade

I hadn't thought of tying the two Aux outputs together but yes, you should be able to do that.  The Aux 2 output has a diode on its output
so that should tie them together nicely.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: toothy on December 15, 2012, 01:49:14 AM

Thanks
Wade

So the two classics are connected to thea same battery bank?
Then you only need one Classic's AUX2 with WASTE NOT to control the SSR.
It doesn't matter which one is producing power at any time as  the volt  meters in each Classic will be the same and AUX2 will function based on battery voltage.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

Quote from: dgd on December 15, 2012, 05:52:27 AM

So the two classics are connected to thea same battery bank?
Then you only need one Classic's AUX2 with WASTE NOT to control the SSR.
It doesn't matter which one is producing power at any time as  the volt  meters in each Classic will be the same and AUX2 will function based on battery voltage.

dgd

Somewhat off the main thread here  but..

This leads me to a question that just popped up while reading this thread.

Say it is dark out so my solar Classic is resting. I only have the one Classic. My turbines are doing their thing and my bank voltage rises to a point that would trigger AUX1 or AUX2. Will the Classic trigger the AUX1 or AUX2 even when "resting"?

That is my diversion (pun intended) from the main thread.

Thanks.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

Quote from: TomW on December 15, 2012, 06:23:47 AM

Somewhat off the main thread here  but..

This leads me to a question that just popped up while reading this thread.

Say it is dark out so my solar Classic is resting. I only have the one Classic. My turbines are doing their thing and my bank voltage rises to a point that would trigger AUX1 or AUX2. Will the Classic trigger the AUX1 or AUX2 even when "resting"?

Yes that is exactly what my two 150s do. One solar one wind, AUX2 on wind 150 tickles 3 phase SSR to put dump resistors in turbine's AC outputs.
No wind, excess solar, wind 150 tickles relay cos solar 150 has raised batt voltage to make  AUX2 enabled on wind 150
Solar 150 also tickles one phase AC relay for AC water heater.
Its a nice feeling watching the turbine make 1500 watts in middle of night and the solar 150, with zero input, diverts AC power to the water heater.
Only when the batteries are full and the water is hot does the wind 150 dump into resistors

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Halfcrazy

Yes the Classics Aux functions work based on measured voltage regardless of the State it is in (IE resting bulk etc)

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

dgd & Ryan;

XLNT. I kind of thought that was how it works. Good to know for sure.

Thanks.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

toothy

Thanks everybody

I guess I asked the wrong question based on what I observed. The resting unit wasn't diverting and it was a good sunny day.  I just figured she was asleep on the job, should have known better.  I must have had something set wrong, voltage wise. I messed around with some voltages and it seems to work, but today the wind wasn't resting.  I haven't yet gotten it to not flicker the lights but that will happen, I hope.

One question, I have 2 outback 3648's with a 240 volt transformer and 3 x 4500 watt @ 240v water heaters elements in a 500 gallon tank as diversion. Presently I have them wired in at 120v with a draw of around 1000 watts per element. Would it have less surge/ flickering wired as 240v or is a pulse to the relay a pulse regardless?

Thanks again
Wade