Classic 150 not fully charging batteries and decreasing voltage daily

Started by mohaveoffgrid, December 02, 2014, 08:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mohaveoffgrid

On two different installs I'm having the same problem...The charge controller is not getting up to voltage to adequately bulk charge or equalize. One of the arrays is small (1500W) but the other is over 3000W. I have followed the recommendations of the string sizing tool and it's just not getting there. What can I do????

Mtn Don

Some incoming and outgoing voltage numbers would likely make this easier to figure out.  Plus the CC settings.   

These are newly installed; never produced what would be expected?

Connected to battery first, battery voltage set and then the PV array input connected?

Northern NM, 624 watts PV, Kid CC, 24 volt GC-2 battery bank, VFX 3524M inverter/charger

TomW

First, I would shut off all the breakers so the Classic is powered down.

Then power up the battery side of things, followed by the solar array in.

Go through the setup from scratch make sure the Classic has the correct battery voltage.

If that doesn't help then you need to check all voltages at the Classic's blue terminal block and be sure they are correct. These things are often wiring errors, loose connections, etc.

Write down your readings and return with more specifics on the system and we can probably help sort it out.

Best of luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

To add to Dons comment, a full description of the main components of the system is needed to assist in evaluating what really is wrong...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

When all else fails, do a VMM Vulcan Mind Meld

That is when you power down the Classic and hold the left and right arrow keys down and power it up. This resets to factory default settings and may clear any errors in the set up. Then you can go through and do a fresh setup from scratch.

I should have put that in my first post as it is often a good thing to do if things are not "normal" after the initial commissioning of a unit.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Vic

Hi Mohave..,

And,  while you are at it,  please confirm that you have the latest Production FirmWare installed in the Classic and MNGP (Graphic display)   Here is the Link if you need it:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmware.php?firmwareProduct_ID=1

Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

What is the battery voltage Absorb setting ?  Is it going into Absorb or, staying in MPPT which
would be below the charge voltage setting ?

If it is NOT getting the battery voltage to absorb, check the PV input voltage against the
PV's Voc open circuit voltage value.  That should optimally be around 75% to 81% or so
of the Voc of the PV array, not matter what size it is.  This would be without partial shading.

The next thing to check would be to make sure there isn't some battery temperature issue.
You can view the Absorb, Float and EQ temperature compensated voltage set point
by going to the CHARGE---T-Comp---VIEW  Menu to view the present battery "target"
voltage.  If it appears too low, please go to the STATUS menu, press STATUS 3 times until
you get to the Whizbang Junior menu.  Press SETUP---MORE and make sure the REFERENCE
temperature is correct...  Usually this is 25.0  degrees C.   The VMM in the MNGP does
not correctly setting this to 25.0 as default, although the jumper operated factory restore
(mainly for Classic Lites) does set it in the current firmware.

You may have already called us at Midnite and fixed this but hopefully you can return here
to tell us what you found, if so.

Thanks !
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me