Classic 250 & micro hydro

Started by LarSolar, February 12, 2022, 09:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarSolar

Greetings all,

Sorry if this isn't posted correctly - just joined the forum and am learning as I go ;)

I am planning on purchasing a Midnite Solar Classic 250 for my PV array that I'm building but also want to know about the use of a micro hydro generator which uses a full wave rectifier to convert the 3 phase AC that the gen produces to DC.

I know this will produce a 'full wave' DC output - can the Classic handle this "noisy" DC or do I need to invest/build a DC filter before it goes to the Classic?

BTW there will be no need of a 'dump load' to prevent overspinning when the batteries are charged - the gen head is actually going to be run by a smaller gasoline engine - wanted to do this rather than to run the bigger AC generator to charge / maintain the batteries. (I chose an adequately sized engine to the wattage of the gen with a little extra 'room').

Thanks for any insight!

-Larry

ClassicCrazy

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

3-phase hydro into your 3-phase rectifier into the Classic should be fine.

The Classic has input capacitors and 3 phase makes it almost no ripple in the first place !

Should be good go go.

Not quite sure what you mean though be the generator helping to keep from overspinning.

It's early today yet and not enough coffee yet so will re-read that in a bit.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

LarSolar

... What I meant about "overspinning" is when the load on the hydro gen tapers off as the batteries reach a fully charged state - in a micro hydro application, there's no speed governor of sorts to compensate for a no-load aside from a dummy load - similar, I'd imagine, to a wind turbine setting ... but since I'm using a small gas engine to spin the gen, it's already speed governed ...

-Larry