Using softkeys to up/down the input volts??

Started by epsgunner, July 18, 2012, 10:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsgunner

I read on here to use the soft keys near the screen to up (on right) and down (on left) to change the incoming volts from the solar array..

Does this only work in the Solar mode?? or other modes??

And should I play with it?? or does it self regulate anyway when it does its MPPT sweep?

If I knock the voltage down my AMPS out goes up (expected) and vice-versa..

If I power off the controller from the battery bank will it reset to somewhere in the middle upon powering up again??

I also notice if you go to HIGH (up on volts) the unit switches to resting (I think it did anyway)..

I played with it and other charge settings such as VOC% (which was factory set at 80) and the Dynamic modes.. 

I have switched back to the SOLAR mode.. does this also KILL the other setting as not to interefere with the SOLAR settings..  (not that I know what that setting does anyway)..

I don't want the 85% VOC I put on it to mess up my SOLAR mode..

Would I be best served by leaving the input at say 29-30 volts and get my 15.6 amps?? of put it back to factory startup (soon as I read how) and let it just start fresh and figure it out..??

Sorry total NEWB on the Classic 150.. so far this thing rocks..

Heres a pic from 10:20 am here in NJ and 93' F..

Halfcrazy

Yeah those buttons will raise and lower the MPPT voltage. They work in Solar, Hydro and U Set. They are mostly intended for a reality check in Solar but can be usefull in U Set to dial in a specific input voltage. Solar mode should always find the best input voltage if it is in Bulk MPPT. The controller will revert back to its own MPPT voltage after its next full sweep. You can also force a new sweep anytime by pressing the Enter button when you are in Solar mode.

Each mode is independent of each other so if you try U Set and play with it when you go back to solar the Classic will ignore the specific U Set stuff you programmed. I would put her in Solar mode and set the sweep interval to 3 minutes (Default) and let her rip.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

epsgunner

Oh and that Wizard from my 4/29 is nice to play with..

But  for some reason it changed my battery bank to 48 V.. (NOT GOOD)..

Glad I caught it while checking the VOLTS section.. should be 12v settings..

Kinda realize now why you got rid of it on the latest firmware.. little buggy..

epsgunner

Hows the VOC% thing work??

It comes in at 80% of PV.. whats turning the number HIGHER say 85% or lower say 70% do??

boB

Quote from: epsgunner on July 18, 2012, 11:21:38 AM

Was this the Wizard from the main menu of menus or was it "QuickSet" from the VOLTS adjust menu ??

The QuickSet should find the proper battery voltage.

In U-Set, 100%  of Voc should just run it at the input voltage that it was when it was off.
100% should not give you much if any output current because it is the open circuit voltage.

50% Voc setting would try to bring the input voltage down to 1/2 the open circuit voltage.

If the Classic sees the battery voltage going above the set point voltage, it will not allow
the percent of Voc to drop as low because in order to keep the battery voltage at or below
the set point, the input voltage must go up somewhere between MPP voltage and open circuit
input voltage.

So, I am very curious about the wrong battery voltage that came up.  If it was the "Wizard"
I am not so concerned because we are not going to use that much in the future.  The Quick Set
will be the thing to use where you have to hold down the LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys on power
up to get it to come up.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

epsgunner

This was the wizard.. When I setup for the 1st time yesterday it started with the quickstart menu..

I was using the wizard today to putter around the menus.

epsgunner

Quote from: boB on July 18, 2012, 01:50:41 PM
Quote from: epsgunner on July 18, 2012, 11:21:38 AM

Was this the Wizard from the main menu of menus or was it "QuickSet" from the VOLTS adjust menu ??

The QuickSet should find the proper battery voltage.

In U-Set, 100%  of Voc should just run it at the input voltage that it was when it was off.
100% should not give you much if any output current because it is the open circuit voltage.

50% Voc setting would try to bring the input voltage down to 1/2 the open circuit voltage.

If the Classic sees the battery voltage going above the set point voltage, it will not allow
the percent of Voc to drop as low because in order to keep the battery voltage at or below
the set point, the input voltage must go up somewhere between MPP voltage and open circuit
input voltage.

So, I am very curious about the wrong battery voltage that came up.  If it was the "Wizard"
I am not so concerned because we are not going to use that much in the future.  The Quick Set
will be the thing to use where you have to hold down the LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys on power
up to get it to come up.

boB

So if its 99F outside and I notice my VOC still says 37V.. I could set my U Set to say 87% and get a steady 32.19V to go into the MPPT conversion factor correct???

Should I go with a lower % or higher % if I wanted to try and get max..?? looks like your saying lower numbers in % yield more to a point.. and higher % (like 100) will give me zilch amps.. which would be a FAIL..

boB

Quote from: epsgunner on July 20, 2012, 09:03:42 AM

So if its 99F outside and I notice my VOC still says 37V.. I could set my U Set to say 87% and get a steady 32.19V to go into the MPPT conversion factor correct???

Should I go with a lower % or higher % if I wanted to try and get max..?? looks like your saying lower numbers in % yield more to a point.. and higher % (like 100) will give me zilch amps.. which would be a FAIL..

You gave me a good idea I think...   We will have to make a graph, basically of a power curve vs. voltage of a typical PV module and show % of Voc for the purposes of understanding this mode better.

We should also have a readout somewhere on the display of what the present % of Voc is based on the last open circuit voltage that was measured by the Classic.  This way, when you are running the input voltage up and down by the soft keys, you can see for yourself what the best % of Voc is.   Then you can set the % Voc a bit better in the MPPT mode menu.

Yes, 100% of Voc IS open circuit and is 0 power.   The "to a point" portion of that means that if you drag the input voltage below the max power point voltage of the PV array, the power starts going down again.  This would be evident in the power vs. voltage curve of the PV that I just mentioned.

Thanks !
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

epsgunner

That would explain while running the voltage UP (with the softkey) it went to resting..

I hit the point of Amps being too low (by driving the volts up, the Amps go down).. hence the RESTING mode..