Classic 150 - Watts In is showing big fat zero (system: MNEMS4024PAECL150)

Started by jayhawk, August 16, 2012, 08:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayhawk

Hello,

In stead of ordering the off-grid pre-wired MNEMS4024PAECL150 system (magnum + classic 150 + 6 of the 300 watts lumos panels), I purchased each individual components and wired them together.  I got the battery part wired and power generated by the magnum, but I can't never get the classic to work.  I used the classic string sizing tool and worked with a small set of 4 300 watts panels (2 in series and 2 in parallel).  From the sizing tool, it should generate enough juice to charge the battery.  I checked the panel wires and ensured that they were no defect.  I tested the connection voltage at the epanel without wired to the classic, it got the correct reading.  As soon as I connected PV wired to the classic, powered it on, the Watts In reading on screen is a BIG FAT ZERO.  I also checked to the mode and make sure it is setting at SOLAR -> ON.  Regardless, I am still getting 0 Watts In, and Mode is flashing "Resting".  Am I missing something?  I appreciate any inputs.

Halfcrazy

First question what is the IN voltage on the top left of the screen? What is the Battery voltage on the top right of the screen? You say it is flashing Resting what does it say when it is not saying Resting?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

jayhawk

Ryan,

Classic 150 displays this info while it is on:

IN                          BATT
0.0V                       25.5V
Watts 0000             0.0A
Kwh 0.0                  resting

I wired with 4 6V battery from interstate at 24volt.  Is there any jumper that I need to set out of the box for solar?  If I am to sent it in for testing and repair, where and how much would it cost?  Please let me know.  In the meantime, I will try to 3 parallel in 2 series string and see if it does change anything.

thanks,
Davy

boB

Davy,  the input voltage is showing 0.0V    That is not typically what is expected.

Please disconnect the positive PV input wire from the Classic terminal block and see what happens with that
input voltage reading on the top left after a minute or two.

The question is...  Does it stay 0.0V ???    Or does it slowly rise up to some higher voltage ??
I do not expect it to go any higher than about 1/2 or 3/4 of battery voltage, but it will normally rise
some.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarMusher

Hi Dave,
Mouting a Magnum e-panel by yourself could be a good idea but:
Did you mount your e-panel with in/ou Classic breakers?
If not, did you connect the Classic pos output to the e-panel pos battery busbar?
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

jayhawk

boB,

I appreciate the suggestion.  I disconnected PV wired and it is still reading big fat zero.  :).  I think there is something wrong with the class.

Thanks

jayhawk

Erik,

I know it was a dangerous game to experience when I made a decision to purchase the individual components instead of the prewired system.  To answer your questions.  PV source is mounted with 80A DC breaker alone with the DC surge arrestor.  The Battery terminal is wired with the Magnum battery monitory kit, to the 80A DC battery, and finally to the classic.  The negative is directly connected to the battery negative bus bar alone with the PV source negative.  I tried to build it according to the manual and the online video from Midnite.  Unfortunately, I know I am missing something.  I wish I have a second version of this system onhand to verify all connections.  In the meantime, I will try to snap a picture of the epanal in the next post.

Thanks,
Davy

nigel

You need to go back up to your panels and check as early as possible the PV output from the panels then  working your way to every available test point (connection) back towards your Inverter  Charger Disconnect box and finally to the classic. You may have a faulty breaker or connection in the run from your PV array inwards

Nigel

vtmaps

To expand on what Nigel said...  Do you have a volt meter?  If so, when you disconnect the array from the classic do you have any voltage on the array wire?  If the classic is defective there would be voltage on the array wires.

If there is no voltage, follow the wiring back towards the array.  Is there voltage at the input breaker?  At the combiner box? etc.

--vtMaps

boB

Quote from: jayhawk on August 17, 2012, 07:52:32 AM
boB,

I appreciate the suggestion.  I disconnected PV wired and it is still reading big fat zero.  :).  I think there is something wrong with the class.

Thanks

I tend to agree with you that this Classic has a problem.  I would call Monday morning to get you going again.
Unusual that it was dead out of the box.  If you do have a voltmeter, go ahead and measure the voltage across the
PV input terminals without the PV or its breaker connected just to make sure that the Classic is reading the
input voltage correctly.  If it doesn't think there is input voltage, then it won't do anything.

But from what you say, I have a feeling you are correct that it is dead.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

jayhawk

All,

I appreciate all your inputs.  I was in a highest alert stage during this weekend because of you.  Due to the system wired 2 series and 2 parallel in 2 String.  The system configuration is at 88V and 16.74A.  Therefore, I have exactly 2.5 hrs to total check the ampere of the system before the exceed 10A and will burn my volt meter.  This was my check list over the weekend.

#1 - installer issue
#2 - Magnum inverter issue
#3 - Epanel wiring issue
#4 - Classic issue

#1 - has been eliminated due to the system is working without the classic wired in.
#2 - has been eliminated due to the system is able to produce AC at 120VAC.
#3 - has been eliminated due to the above #2 & #1.  I also double check with the online video to ensure surge aresster were installed correctly.  There are three (2 VAC & 1DC).
#4 - I unpluged everything except for the PV source and classic.  When checked the voltage at the connecting point, it is a complete zero voltage.  It turned itself into a closed circuit at the PV positive and PV negative terminal.  I went back and traced each panel voltage and ampere.  I verified all connections on the panels and ensure that the polarity is correct.  I also verified that the ampere is closely match my calculation.  At early in the morning, it normally read about 1.52A which is a about right.  At the day progress, the ampere will increase and therefore I will stop checking the system.

In the nutshell, I am now convince that it is the classic issue.  What do you guys think?  Did I missed something?  Is there any other tests that I can do on the classic to ensure the problem is elsewhere.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Davy

Halfcrazy

I think you may want to call in or Email me to get the warranty process started. ryan@midnitesolar.com

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

jayhawk

Hello,

I want to push in my last comment to report my status after sent in my class 150 for repair.  It took a week to get it back, which is really awesome.  Once I got it, I putted it to test.  As soon as I plugged it back in, I started to see 14.0V below the "IN" label.  I was very happy to see that because I did not see that before the repair.  Then as soon as I wired it to the PV Source, I started to see "Bulk" charging even at 2.X ampere.

Anyway, I want to thank all that help me.  I finally completed putting together all the individual pieces for the Magnum 120/240VAC System Off Grid 4000 Watt/24VDC Inverter (MNEMS4024PAECL150).  This system is utilizing 8 of the 300 Watts panels wiring 2 in series and 4 in parallel.  I applied all configurations from the Classic Sizing Tool, which will push the classic 150 to its limit at 90% utilization.  That is an awesome too.

Thanks all.
Davy