Firmware not uploading

Started by Web4Deb, October 05, 2012, 10:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Web4Deb

Hi,  I have 2 Classic 150's that I'm trying to upgrade the firmware.  When it's uploading, I get "CRC error.  File damaged."  This is in the command window that pops open when telling it to do the upgrade.  Any suggestions?

I can't figure out how to show my screen image so I think I have it attached!  ;-)

ClassicCrazy

Not sure if I had the exact same problem when updating the firmware but I found that I was not following the update instructions exactly and missed some steps of powering the Classic on and off in the correct sequence .
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

First thing is to try another time or two and I bet you already tried that.

Second thing to try is to try another USB cable.

Next, we can talk about the third thing to try, but that ~may~ be to
try another computer or one with another version of Windoze.
For some reason, some Windoze versions and/or revisions are
better than others.  Having said that, I have used XP 32 bit and windows 7 pro
64 bit with success.  There appear to be many different versions of each
of these OS's though.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

I have gotten this message a couple of times when trying to UD the FW,  and in each case,  is was as ClassicCrazy mentioned.  I had NOT followed, EXACTLY, the instructions regarding powering off/back on for the Classic.

There may be other causes,  but for me this sure seemed to be it.  FWIW.
Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Web4Deb

I tried a few times and also used the USB cable that came with my 2nd controller.  I was assuming the cable and communication was working properly since the device is reporting itself properly as a COM port.

I'm using win 7 pro 64 bit on a laptop....since the building is remote and has no other power. ;-)  I'll try to find a different laptop to try out.

Also, since it's a com port, are there any commands I can sent to the controller over the serial port using something like puTTY to test anything?

I'll also try upgrading the second controller too....

Plus I'll review the instructions again to make sure I'm doing the upgrade properly......   ;)

boB

Quote from: Web4Deb on October 05, 2012, 03:38:35 PM
Also, since it's a com port, are there any commands I can sent to the controller over the serial port using something like puTTY to test anything?

I'll also try upgrading the second controller too....

When the Classic is just running normally, the USB port spits out ASCII data to the com port.
If USB mode 00 and 01 it will anyway.
I have found that not every terminal emulator seems to work but haven't tried the one that
comes with WIN 7.  It might just work OK.

Yes, try updating the second controller.  If it DOES work, then there may be something
wrong with your first Classic.  Once in a great while, we  will see one that doesn't want
to update for some reason.  We now test each Classic at the factory to make sure they
do update through USB.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Web4Deb

I got them both to work.  It was the power-on sequence.  I "misread" the user manual and didn't realize I had to do a cold boot of the controller to initiate the firmware upgrade.   Thanks to everyone for your help!

I have one other problem but I'll start a new thread for that.  ;-)

dgd

Quote from: boB on October 05, 2012, 05:02:45 PM

When the Classic is just running normally, the USB port spits out ASCII data to the com port.
I have found that not every terminal emulator seems to work but haven't tried the one that

Yes, try updating the second controller.  If it DOES work, then there may be something
wrong with your first Classic.  Once in a great while, we  will see one that doesn't want

to update for some reason.  We now test each Classic at the factory to make sure they
do update through USB.
power
boBd

It seems that this usb serial port updating of Classic firmware continues to be a problem. What about getting this process moved
to ethernet? And also get the need to powercycle the Classic sorted out, there has to be a more intelligent way to reset/reload than the
sledge hammer approach of power off/on.
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

Quote from: dgd on October 09, 2012, 07:27:51 PM
Quote from: boB on October 05, 2012, 05:02:45 PM

do update through USB.
power
boBd

It seems that this usb serial port updating of Classic firmware continues to be a problem. What about getting this process moved
to ethernet? And also get the need to powercycle the Classic sorted out, there has to be a more intelligent way to reset/reload than the
sledge hammer approach of power off/on.
dgd

The ethernet method of updating can be done without powering down and up the Classic.
Updating the Classic isn't the problem though...  It's updating the MNGP over ethernet.  That will
come eventually though.  We have had the ethernet update method working for a while now but
the MNGP usually needs updating also so that would just confuse things until both and be updated
by the same method.

As for powering down and powering up the Classic, that's the way to reset the processor so that it
can watch for the update as it is booting.  You would still have to press a button or go through a
menu to tell the USB to be ready for update mode as well as change the PC software side quite
a bit.  It took a long time to get even this method of updating to work and resources are
very thin at Midnite now to make many changes to how this is done.  In fact, it is almost impossible
to find people capable of doing this kind of software these days.

Comments duly noted though !   We  knew that it can always be easier and better.
It's just a Simple Matter Of Programming (SMOP), right ??

boB

PS...  We also have some videos that try to help show how to update the Classic and MNGP.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi dgd,

I am NOT a computer hotshot.   BUT,  even I can easily update the Firmware in Classics.  This is a non-issue (IMHO).  All one needs to do is to FOLLOW the instructions.  Yes,  many times things could be a bit better,   and the Classic continues to get better and better.  Not quite perfect yet,  but an amazing box as it is,  and it does continue to bet better and better.

The Classic charge controller is quite an advance in its abilities.  It has by far the most comprehensive communication capabilities,  it is the most powerful CC -- highest current capabilities.  It has the most comprehensive  Logging capabilities,  internal to the CC,   does Wind,  Hydro,  can do 200 V+ PV strings,  has extensive ModBus control capabilities ...  and so on ...

You might not appreciate that many CCs in this segment are NOT updatable in the field.  The Schneider XW SCC requires the use of an extra  cost ($250.) FW Implanter to update the traditionally BUGGY FW.  The Outback FM series CCs need a trip back to WA (or perhaps to a distributor in other countries).  Is that easier than FW updates with the Classic?  The XW CC is a very limited CC,  lacks most of the functions that the Classic has.

And,  to me,  the best part of most MidNite products,  and especially with the Classic is that MN is constantly extending products -- responding to the market and making products meet the needs of customers.   This Forum is a direct path between customers and MN Technical crew,  and Principals in the company.   No other company in the RE business seems to care about improving and extending the usefulness of their products the way that MN does -- none even close.

Am just another happy customer.  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Web4Deb

I have to agree with Vic,  The first time I posted on the forum, I was happily shocked (forgive the pun!) that someone from MidNite responded...and quickly!

I will add that I do a lot of design work with embedded controllers and booting a device to upload the firmware is very common.  A) it's a quick way to do it  B) It's good security so that someone physically has to be with the device to upgrade it.  (I'd hate for someone to hack through the net to get to a critical controller.  C) it lessens the risk of data corruption by not allowing the controller to operate while you're replacing the entire friggin' OS!

It was even nice of them to provide the USB cable with the controller...these days, you're lucky to get any accessories with a product!

The only thing I will ding MidNite on, is the lack of Master/Slave features.  I purchased my controllers from SiliconSolar.com and they said it supported it and the user manuals had vague references about it.  I posted a question here about it and got a response that it was in the works.  So, I'm content...for now.   ;D

BTW, here's a video I did about my setup:  http://youtu.be/r3J4iROu1t4

-Rob T.   

Vic

Hi Rob, 

BTW,  glad that you got the FW uploaded on the Classics.

AND,  Great video!  Very well produced/edited,  and succinct.

You have more guts,  and probably more strength than I  -- tilting that rack of four PVs can be a challenge,   with no help in sight.  Thanks,  Vic

dgd

Quote from: boB on October 10, 2012, 04:00:11 AM

The ethernet method of updating can be done without powering down and up the Classic.
Updating the Classic isn't the problem though...  It's updating the MNGP over ethernet.  That will
come eventually though.  We have had the ethernet update method working for a while now but
the MNGP usually needs updating also so that would just confuse things until both and be updated
by the same method.

As for powering down and powering up the Classic, that's the way to reset the processor so that it
can watch for the update as it is booting.  You would still have to press a button or go through a
menu to tell the USB to be ready for update mode as well as change the PC software side quite
a bit.  It took a long time to get even this method of updating to work and resources are
very thin at Midnite now to make many changes to how this is done.  In fact, it is almost impossible
to find people capable of doing this kind of software these days.

Comments duly noted though !   We  knew that it can always be easier and better.
It's just a Simple Matter Of Programming (SMOP), right ??

boB

PS...  We also have some videos that try to help show how to update the Classic and MNGP.

So it's possible to do a firmware upgrade on a LITE Classic via Ethernet, no mngp to worry about?

The programming resource issue is not easy to resolve so  would 'Midnite' consider an open source policy withe the software.?  There must be a few interested users/customers like me who are experienced embedded micro controller software designers/programmers who could donate a few subroutines  :)
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

dgd

Quote from: Vic on October 10, 2012, 11:13:49 AM
Hi dgd,

I am NOT a computer hotshot.   BUT,  even I can easily update the Firmware in Classics.  This is a non-issue (IMHO).  All one needs to do is to FOLLOW the instructions.  Yes,  many times things could be a bit better,   and the Classic continues to get better and better.  Not quite perfect yet,  but an amazing box as it is,  and it does continue to bet better and better.

The Classic charge controller is quite an advance in its abilities.  It has by far the most comprehensive communication capabilities,  it is the most powerful CC -- highest current capabilities.  It has the most comprehensive  Logging capabilities,  internal to the CC,   does Wind,  Hydro,  can do 200 V+ PV strings,  has extensive ModBus control capabilities ...  and so on ...

You might not appreciate that many CCs in this segment are NOT updatable in the field.  The Schneider XW SCC requires the use of an extra  cost ($250.) FW Implanter to update the traditionally BUGGY FW.  The Outback FM series CCs need a trip back to WA (or perhaps to a distributor in other countries).  Is that easier than FW updates with the Classic?  The XW CC is a very limited CC,  lacks most of the functions that the Classic has.

And,  to me,  the best part of most MidNite products,  and especially with the Classic is that MN is constantly extending products -- responding to the market and making products meet the needs of customers.   This Forum is a direct path between customers and MN Technical crew,  and Principals in the company.   No other company in the RE business seems to care about improving and extending the usefulness of their products the way that MN does -- none even close.

Am just another happy customer.  Vic

I made my comment  on updates via Ethernet  because for some time now there have been postings  with USB uploading problems.  I don't think it's always an RTFM issue and boB had previously said the ethernet option was being worked on.
I am well aware of the 'better than competitors' features of the Classic, that's why I own two 150s and a 200. I also appreciate this forum, it has become an essential part of the Midnitesolar experience.
The Classic does have the potential to have excellent communications and logging features. But right now these are either not implemented or broken. The hardware is all there but the software is just not using all the hardware features (yet!). Patience is a virtue :D
So like you Vic I am a happy customer but there is room to be even happier...
Dgd