Updated to latest FM Classic has incorrect date

Started by plongson, December 19, 2012, 07:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plongson

Hey guys, I got back home and updated the software. It was a bugger. I got the FW to load after a few attempts be the MGP was a pain. The problem was with getting it to recognize port 8. I finally got it and all is good except the CLASSIC date is 2003. The graphic panel date is correct...

When you go to the TIME/DATE setting menu, you can also look at the time and date that is in the Classic itself
by holding down the LEFT-ARROW key and tapping the SOFT-RIGHT key.  It will show you Classic Time and date
as well as the seconds counting up.

I followed these instruction and wonder it it will correct itself by morning??

ALSO I'm thinking the graphic panel watch battery is dead. I have to reset the time every time I power off. I set the TWEAKS to auto restart every night per boB's suggestion and I'm wondering if the battery is dead, will that cause MORE clock issues??

Paul

What do you think??

One more thing, How do I change the name "CLASSIC" on the app?? I'm only running one CLASSIC, does that matter?
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

Quote from: plongson on December 19, 2012, 07:06:34 PM

One more thing, How do I change the name "CLASSIC" on the app?? I'm only running one CLASSIC, does that matter?

First you have to "unlock" the classic by entering its serial number in the "config" tab at the bottom with the local app. Click the blue arrow to save.

Then in config>basic set the name you want it to appear as in the top field. Click the blue arrow to save.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

plongson

Oh My!! What a wonderful world that opened up! This keeps getting better...

Any idea about my crazy time situation?
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

boB

Glad you were able to check the time/date in the Classic itself in the MNGP time/date setup menu.

The MNGP tells the Classic what time/date it is every minute or so...  If the MNGP is wrong,
then the Classic will be wrong too.

Have you checked the coin cell battery in the MNGP ?   I would pull it out, measure the
voltage with your voltmeter and before you put it back in, use some kind of pointy thing
and press down those 2 prongs on the coin cell battery holder so that is makes better
contact...  We see bad connections some times that may keep the MNGP from
keeping time when the  DC breaker is turned off and back on again...

That is, if the battery has more than say, 2.0 volts on it.  If not, you might
want to get a new battery.  It's a 3V battery.  Type 1216 I think ?  it's printed
on the PCB next to the battery holder.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

plongson

No boB, actually I don't have the time fixed yet. The graphic panel is correct but the time in the classic says 2003, I just checked...
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

boB

Quote from: plongson on December 19, 2012, 09:33:53 PM
No boB, actually I don't have the time fixed yet. The graphic panel is correct but the time in the classic says 2003, I just checked...

OK, tell me this...  Does the seconds count up when looking at the Classic time ??
If it is not counting up every second, then it may be that the clock crystal in
the Classic itself is busted or something.

Also, if you have real recent firmware, check in the TWEAKS menu and make
sure that "Time Synch" is ON.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

plongson

Huh...time sync was off. It's working now! THANKS boB. I sure wish I knew all the nuances of this little box.
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

boB

Quote from: plongson on December 19, 2012, 09:53:22 PM
Huh...time sync was off. It's working now! THANKS boB. I sure wish I knew all the nuances of this little box.

AHA !   did you do the Vulcan Mind Meld after you upgraded ?

Probably not necessary if you already updated since last summer and did the VMM within
the last few months when you did update.  There aren't many things that can
go wrong I don't think.  But Time Synch was one of them.

Yeah...    We changed another modbus register that has to do with some of the Tweaks so just check to
make sure all of those look correct.

If there is any question, just do the VMM.
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

plongson

That's funny, I am old enough to have seen the Vulcan mind meld in action in the original Star Trek series, but I'm not Familiar With how it applies here. How do I do the vulcan mind meld on the classic? have you a link?

Sorry for being so ignorant... Lol.  ???  (Are you just pulling my leg)
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

boB

Quote from: plongson on December 19, 2012, 11:04:22 PM
That's funny, I am old enough to have seen the Vulcan mind meld in action in the original Star Trek series, but I'm not Familiar With how it applies here. How do I do the vulcan mind meld on the classic? have you a link?

Sorry for being so ignorant... Lol.  ???  (Are you just pulling my leg)

Well, the VMM may be on one of our videos but what you do is to power down and power up the Classic
and then hold down the LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys until you see SOLAR-WIND-HYDRO...  Wait until
the LEDs stop blinking in a few seconds then make your choices.   There are only 4 screens to
go through, MODE, nominal battery voltage (it guesses what you have), Absorb, EQ and Float
voltage settings (same as in the CHARGE menu), and then Time/Date and then starts up
normally after it sends the information to the Classic.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me