connection to classic kills my internet on local network

Started by bigal, December 26, 2012, 11:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigal

Hi Folks,
Need some suggestions-- this is not an area where i have alot of expertise!! 

WHEN I TRY TO CONNECT THE CLASSIC, DOESNT SHOW ON STATUS PANEL SOFTWARE
INTERNET ACCESS ON MY NETWORK IS KILLED
UNPLUG CABLE TO CLASSIC AND IT COMES BACK

Info: Device ID  C77E 3842
UPDATED FIRMWARE  ON CLASSIC AS OF 12/24
DHCP ASSIGNS  110 TO CLASSIC, BUT AFTER CONNECTING FOR 30 SEC CANNOT ACCESS INTERNET ON MY NETWORK 
STATUS PANEL SOFTWARE DOES NOT FIND THE CLASSIC(ALSO NEWEST VERSION)
ETHERNET CABLE IS GOOD AS I CAN CONNECT THRU IT FROM MY LAPTOP

ANY IDEAS?
GO WITH STATIC? 

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!   AL
27-235 watt Canadian panels, 2 CLASSICS,  Magnum Inverter,  Forklift Battery,  powers entire house easily.
Lots of sun here, recharge by 1 pm normally. 2 Fujitsu mini splits for summer AC.  13 solar thermal panels for heat.

Halfcrazy

If the Classic is killing the internet on the rest of the network I would say one of 2 things. It ether has a bad cable shorting something out or the Cable is plugged into the wrong place on the router? Do you have a laptop or something you can plug into that cable at the classic end to prove the cable out?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

bigal

I have tested the cable.  My laptop works on classic end of cable..  .  There is some communication with the classic, as 110 is assigned by the router when using dhcp
27-235 watt Canadian panels, 2 CLASSICS,  Magnum Inverter,  Forklift Battery,  powers entire house easily.
Lots of sun here, recharge by 1 pm normally. 2 Fujitsu mini splits for summer AC.  13 solar thermal panels for heat.

boB

If your Classic is running in STATIC mode, have you tried setting the Classic's static IP address
to a number that is outside of your router's DHCP number giving range ??
There is a certain range of IP addresses that your router should give out and maybe
the Classic is in that range.

The Classic should not be messing anything up though if it is set to DHCP because then
it would be in the correct range from your router.  It is best to run the Classic in Static
mode whenever possible I think because its address will stay the same which is good
for port forwarding etc.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

TomW

Maybe the port on the classic (502 by default) is the issue was my first thought? 

Not sure how the "110" plays into network traffic. I thought that had to do with serial communication?

Networking is not rocket science but it needs to be set up right to work and "little" things certainly can pull the rug out from under you.

If your Classic somehow is getting the same IP as the router then the network will flat quit working.

Just tossing thoughts.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

bigal

So far I have not tried static.   Been scanning the posts about this, but Not quite sure what the settings should be. 

I will give it a try

My wireless router  is a pretty old DLink.  DI-524 model.  It has been working well and is stable

many thanks

boB

Quote from: bigal on December 26, 2012, 10:12:08 PM
So far I have not tried static.   Been scanning the posts about this, but Not quite sure what the settings should be. 

I will give it a try

My wireless router  is a pretty old DLink.  DI-524 model.  It has been working well and is stable

many thanks

Nahhh...   Give it a try but if you've been using DHCP, that pretty much tells me that isn't the problem.

So, is it your outside internet connection that stops working ?  Or does your local network stop too ?
Can you see the Classic on the Local App status panel ??

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

bigal

thanks bob
K7IQ,    like that!!    assuming thats your extra call,  KD8KP here,   background is Motorola radio shop

Setup as follows.  Dedicated computer for weather station is hardwired to Dlink.  Home laptop ( running classic software) is wireless from the router.  Both of these lose connection to net after about 30 secs.  I have been watching the lights on  dlink ports when i do this and they dont blink with the same rhythm once I plug the classic in.   Classic port blinks too fast and does not settle down.   
Question.  I dont get any of the dashboard gauges on the local classic software,  just the black set up screen.  Is that normal until communication is established with classic?

ps  only trying one of the classics now,  do not have them on "follow me" yet.  will work on that after comms established

27- 235w panels,   2 classics,  Magnum inverter,  forklift battery, easily runs the entire house here in sunny NM, 2 Fugitsu mini-split ac in summer. just amazing.

Halfcrazy

In the network section of the Classic is Web Access "Disabled"? If not try that. It sounds like something from outside is pummeling the Classic with requests and crashing the complete network? I have passed this thread on to our Network guru's as well.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

boB

Quote from: bigal on December 27, 2012, 08:18:23 AM
thanks bob
K7IQ,    like that!!    assuming thats your extra call,  KD8KP here,   background is Motorola radio shop

Setup as follows.  Dedicated computer for weather station is hardwired to Dlink.  Home laptop ( running classic software) is wireless from the router.  Both of these lose connection to net after about 30 secs.  I have been watching the lights on  dlink ports when i do this and they dont blink with the same rhythm once I plug the classic in.   Classic port blinks too fast and does not settle down.   
Question.  I dont get any of the dashboard gauges on the local classic software,  just the black set up screen.  Is that normal until communication is established with classic?

ps  only trying one of the classics now,  do not have them on "follow me" yet.  will work on that after comms established

27- 235w panels,   2 classics,  Magnum inverter,  forklift battery, easily runs the entire house here in sunny NM, 2 Fugitsu mini-split ac in summer. just amazing.

Hi BigAl !  Yes, that's my call sign.  I like it too.  Used to be KI7IQ  (two eyed ham) but have been a one eyed ham for
many years now...

So. I bet your Classic is not an older one but the first couple hundred of them had a non-isolated Ethernet
jack.  That was something like 2 years ago though so if newer shouldn't be a problem unless, somehow,
it was sitting on a shelf somewhere.  But that used to rarely cause a problem.

It is normal not to be able to see the gauges until communications has been established.

Try what Ryan said and turn off the web access in the NET menu.  It tries to call into our server
every so often.  That is not necessary for the local app status panel to work.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

bigal

I will try disabling web access

Also got new combo dsl/wiresless modem from provider to try.

boB:        One eyed ham------like that---- goes with my "kosher pickles"  we should have lunch

check out the weather here in SW new Mexico at      glenwoodweathernow.com     4 yrs of raw data buried on link on left
We have one heck of lot of sunshine.  Some storms lately.

bigal

some progress

new dsl  modem/router  installed  NO CRASH OF NET

Still no comms with classic
will check some things when it warms up today!

boB

Quote from: bigal on December 29, 2012, 10:16:43 AM
some progress

new dsl  modem/router  installed  NO CRASH OF NET

Still no comms with classic
will check some things when it warms up today!

Excellent !   (so far anyway...  knock knock)

Crossing my fingers and dotting my one I   !!

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me