Ethernet hard wiring between labtop and LITE - no router between.

Started by jimskau, June 16, 2013, 05:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimskau

Hi guys,

Being new to both the Midnite Classic and this forum, I hope that this subject isn't already covered somewhere (I have duly read through a few threads)

Problem:
I would like to offer the Midnite LITE to my clients as a more economical alternative to the Classic. I would need set up our seasonal charging parameters without the support of a router, preferably via an Ethernet cable between unit and a laptop.

We work in the mountains of Southern Spain and usually there is no power sources, until we have established the solar system. This means that the initial set-up is difficult to achieve without the Classic display option.

Found a thread that indicates this is possible with a reversed Ethernet cable (my Compaq/vista doesn't seem to be able to make this swap)
Is this possible?
Any chance for a diagram of this reversed Ethernet cable i.e which of the 8 terminals needs to be swapped?
Would love to see a full step by step entry on how to get the whole laptop to regulator com-setup up and running, including registry on mymidnite. I don't seem to be able to do any other action apart from downloading the app on the site.

PS: I have purchased a Classic 150 recently, and I already love what I see. Could my Classic work in our house without the display?
That way I could bring my front cover with me for installations and still get a harvest at home.

I do apologize, if all this knowledge is embedded in manual/web page, but think that it would be of great service to have this info accessible at a glance for all new users. Maybe listed under the "just the facts"

Yours sincerely

Jim Skau
Outback VFX 1424
4 x 6CS25p's Rolls
1,8 Kw mixed array, Midnite Classic 150
1 Jack Russel terrier
SmartGauge battery monitor & a hell of a lot of Vines :-)

dgd

Quote from: jimskau on June 16, 2013, 05:51:09 AM

PS: I have purchased a Classic 150 recently, and I already love what I see. Could my Classic work in our house without the display?
That way I could bring my front cover with me for installations and still get a harvest at home.

yes, I'm sure this is ok, I did this for a few days, Classic with no  MNLP  and it just kept working

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

Jim;

It is commonly called a Crossover Cable. Some info is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Modern equipment may not actually need one as they can sense the connection and adapt accordingly. Not sure if the Classic needs one for a direct connection.

An alternative would be a simple ethernet hub or switch between the computer and the Classic. You may run into the same issue of no power there, however.

Maybe Bob, Robin  or Ryan can address this in more detail as I have never done it between a computer and the Classic.

Of course, as dgd noted, you can just bring a display along to set it up. Which is the simplest solution, I think.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

jimskau

Gentlemen!
I stand in awe at the speedy replies. Thank you so much for both entries.

Concerning the Mymidnite issue, is it just me being blind, or has the access to registry of the server been moved since the last update of the DVD manuals?
I don't seem to be able to access any thing apart from the app download on the mymidnite site.

Jim
Outback VFX 1424
4 x 6CS25p's Rolls
1 Jack Russel terrier

dgd

Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

Quote from: jimskau on June 16, 2013, 06:56:36 AM
Gentlemen!
I stand in awe at the speedy replies. Thank you so much for both entries.

Jim

Jim;

No problem. Glad to help.

Its been a long time since I was accused of being a gentleman but thanks just the same!

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

jimskau

Tanks, I'll try that link Tom.
The Wikipedia link shows two recipes for cross over cables.  10BASE-T / 100BASE-TX crossover or T568A.
I wonder which type to make for the Classic communication?
Outback VFX 1424
4 x 6CS25p's Rolls
1 Jack Russel terrier

jimskau

Outback VFX 1424
4 x 6CS25p's Rolls
1 Jack Russel terrier

Rockinriley

For crossover you need 568a on one end and 568b on the other, most cables you look a are b on both ends.  Now when you do this, you will need to assign an IP address to your laptop, have you done this before, it is called static.