Schneider's New Conext SW inverters

Started by dapdan, June 24, 2013, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laszlo

Nice inverter, in terms of features and the price.   Perhaps the only thing I see lacking is 48V DC input model in their line.

I was not really impressed with the Schneider transformation of Xantrex. I did not see many new products they created after buying Xantrex and their offering looked kind of bland. This new inverter may give them some bragging rights and interest.

As far as Magnum, sometimes  I catch myself wondering, is Magnum going to be around? I own two PAE-4448 inverters that I purchased 18 months apart and I was able to make some deductions about the number of units manufactured in that time frame. 

4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

vtmaps

Quote from: Vic on June 24, 2013, 09:08:22 PM
And the 38-40 watt inverting idle seems high.

That is high.  My outback vfx3524 draws 20 watts at idle.  The difference between the OB and the conext SW could power a small refrigerator.  The conext SW is only 24 volts, so its not for larger (48v) systems.  The smaller the system, the larger that 40 watt idle draw seems.

The conext SW sure does have some nice features, especially generator support.  The outback is more powerful and a few hundred dollars more expensive.  If I had it to do all over again... I'm not sure I would trade the Outback's power and low idle draw for Schneider's gen support.

Quote from: Vic on June 24, 2013, 09:08:22 PMAm glad to hear that the Schneider Customer Support function has improved,  although from my limited experience with them,  there is only way that it could have gone is up.

And from what I read over at Wrench's forum, Outback's tech support has been going downhill   :(

--vtMaps

EDIT:  oops!  The conext comes in two power capacities... the larger one is comparable to the outback.

Vic

One of my favorite things in life is to HATE Schneider (for good reasons).

I do have an application where an Inverter similar to the Context SW might fit well.

BUT,  agree,  the 40 W idle really seems to be a KILLER.  I Kwh per day to just sit there,   it really seems like a large hurdle for a medium-sized inverter.

vt is correct,  many refers are in that range of power consumption.

But,  from the specs,  the new SWs seem nice.

Expect that S sees 48  users will step up to the XW line ...  whatta I know?   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Did one of you measure an idle power of 40 watts on the SW Conext ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

vtmaps

Quote from: boB on September 08, 2013, 12:56:24 AM
Did one of you measure an idle power of 40 watts on the SW Conext ?

I commented on it earlier... the 40 watt idle power is from the specifications.  --vtMaps

Halfcrazy

I will ask Tom (One of our employees) to measure that and get back to you guys.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dapdan

Midnite,

In the other forum(wind) I started a review of this inverter. It seems go good machine so far except the the two fans run all the time even when there are no loads on it.

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?20971-The-new-Conext-SW4024-review

Are you guys getting the same issue with the fans or do I have a bum unit?

Damani

dapdan

Ok,

I have just installed a victron monitor along with shunt and have measure no load current draw and disable current draw and break off current draw. Starting smallest first:

Breaker off:  0.00A  at  26v ~ 0w

Breaker on, inverter disabled:  0.22A  at 26v  ~ 5.7w (fans are off)

Breaker on, inverter enabled:  2.40A   at 26v  ~  62.4w(ouch...both fans are on with no load attached)

So idle draw seems to be more that what was spec by about 50%. This this is big parasite.

Cheers...
Damani

Halfcrazy

DapDan I am not sure about your fans but ours do not run. So that explains the load you are seeing those fans have to be many watts each

Ryan

Halfcrazy

Quote from: dapdan on September 08, 2013, 08:42:35 AM
Ok,

I have just installed a victron monitor along with shunt and have measure no load current draw and disable current draw and break off current draw. Starting smallest first:

Breaker off:  0.00A  at  26v ~ 0w

Breaker on, inverter disabled:  0.22A  at 26v  ~ 5.7w (fans are off)

Breaker on, inverter enabled:  2.40A   at 26v  ~  62.4w(ouch...both fans are on with no load attached)

So idle draw seems to be more that what was spec by about 50%. This this is big parasite.

Cheers...
Damani
DapDan
You may try unplugging the Temp Sensor. if memory serves if you short the Temp sensor pins it runs the fans as a test?

Ryan

dapdan

Ryan,

I don't have the temp sensor installed. In fact I have set up an ambient temp monitor with a probe. I have placed the probe at an exhaust point by the ac connection strips and it measures 93.6f and the ambient is 88.7f and both fans are still running. I have small load on a hunter ceiling fan in the same room(about 50w load). I have turned everything off where only the inverter is on and the ceiling fan load  and the monitor shows that 4.12A at 26v is being supplied.

I have to monitor this fan issue to make sure it is a continous problem. I have emailed schneider about this issuer.

Cheers...
Damani

cpm

Quote from: vtmaps on August 29, 2013, 08:00:44 AM
'm not sure I would trade the Outback's power and low idle draw for Schneider's gen support.

Maybe not.

But I think I would trade it for the single inverter split phase 120/240Vac

Photowhit

Quote from: Halfcrazy on June 24, 2013, 09:02:21 AM
Would you prefer to have a lower cost box with no AC bypass in it and have the bypass as an option if you want it? I guess what I am really asking is would a considerably less expensive E-Panel that is sort of a Kit if you will be favorable? We would include the Battery cables and AC wires etc as well as needed buss bars and breakers just not the bypass etc and you could assemble it?

Ryan,

I voted yes since I removed mine from my E-Panel, Still would like to see an integrated E-Panel with a Midnite CC integrated! Like the old Pulse Energy/Trace PC250/500's. It would make wiring a snap.
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

DMJ72

Quote from: Halfcrazy on September 08, 2013, 06:11:59 AM
I will ask Tom (One of our employees) to measure that and get back to you guys.

Ryan

Hi Ryan, did this ever get around to been done? interested to see the real world figure.
(System 1) To be updated ...  @ Jamaica, West Indies.
(System 2-mom's) 6 Wuxi My-Solar 200w Mono panels, Conext SW Inverter, Classic 150, 8 Trojan T-105RE batteries, Trimetric.

DMJ72

Just purchased this Inverter :

* Manufactured in November 2013, Model 865-4024.
* Firmware revision : 2.02.03 BN 0

I am having issues with the fan control also :

Day 1. Installed it on the wall, with plenty (>3') of ventilation space all around. 26*C- 30*C Ambient temperature. Powered it on, it went through the boot up sequence with the fans spun up, then spun down and shut them off in under a minute. No loads connected as it has not been patched in yet.

Day 2. Came home in the evening around 6pm, and the fans were on (which never surprised me as the house is hot in the days). They never went off by themselves. Cycling the main breaker @ 9pm then resulted in a quiet unit upon restart. I then decided to reboot the unit using a 3-second press of the reset button, the fans came on and stayed on. This is a repeatable step, rebooting the unit with a 3-second salute will always make the fans come on and stay on regardless of the environmental conditions. The fans do reduce their RPM to a minimum though.

Day 3. Connecting the BTS to the inverter seems to have an effect on the length of time the fans stay on, with the BTS they shut off after 1 hour or so .. Still no loads connected to the inverter.

I will keep you folks updated....
(System 1) To be updated ...  @ Jamaica, West Indies.
(System 2-mom's) 6 Wuxi My-Solar 200w Mono panels, Conext SW Inverter, Classic 150, 8 Trojan T-105RE batteries, Trimetric.