One Bank, Two Classics. One Output Goes to Zero When Hitting Absorb

Started by Trickle Charge, March 10, 2014, 04:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trickle Charge

I was just wondering why one of my controllers would ramp down to zero watts when it switches to the absorb mode, or float for that matter, but the other one stays in bulk longer and continues to produce wattage when it goes into Absorb? 

TomW

Trickle;

Are these Classics or Kids?

Are you using Follow Me?

If not they may be seeing different voltages due to not being calibrated for volts offset.

First thought.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

As Tom says the voltage each Classic is seeing is different. However, even if you get them reading the same it may only take a tiny voltage difference to have one Classic producing most of the power.

Charge balancing, possibly where you can specify which Classic produces what % of the absorb/float/eq power is not yet available but in another thread it was hinted that this may be a future feature.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Trickle Charge

They are Classics.  If it's a normal behaviour then I'm ok.  If there was some setting that was turning them off and I could reverse it then I'd do it.  One array is three times the size of the one that shuts down, I just don't see why they both wouldn't continue to produce wattage if the bank needs it  and it always does… :)

TomW

Quote from: Trickle Charge on March 10, 2014, 06:41:58 PM
They are Classics.  If it's a normal behaviour then I'm ok.  If there was some setting that was turning them off and I could reverse it then I'd do it.  One array is three times the size of the one that shuts down, I just don't see why they both wouldn't continue to produce wattage if the bank needs it  and it always does… :)

Trickle;

Get yourself a common phone cable and get "Follow Me" set up it will at least have both units acting in lockstep. Just takes a phone cable between Classics and enable Follow Me on both Classics. Should eliminate it being a  problem with one of the Classics at least.

Just what I would do.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Trickle Charge

Quote from: TomW on March 10, 2014, 07:01:30 PM

Trickle;

Get yourself a common phone cable and get "Follow Me" set up it will at least have both units acting in lockstep. Just takes a phone cable between Classics and enable Follow Me on both Classics. Should eliminate it being a  problem with one of the Classics at least.

Just what I would do.

Tom

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. 

Cheers

TomW

Oh, and calibrate the Classics idea of voltage in and out against a voltmeter with the tweaks menu  would be smart.  It is easy.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

boB

You will want to use the Follow-Me feature if you can but as long as the batteries are getting an absorb charge, the batteries are getting charged and that is the most important part.

If one Classic is going to Float first and the other Classic is taking over the Absorb, it is best to use the Follow-Me though.
Sure doesn't hurt.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Trickle Charge

I have noticed the same behaviour when I run the generator.  The one array shuts down but the other one keeps charging.  I'll be done with that until next fall though.

I'll try and muster up the courage for this "follow-me".  I really don't know much about my system.  Some guys came, installed it, and now they're gone.  lol

Thanks
Cheers
TC

TomW

Quote from: Trickle Charge on March 11, 2014, 12:06:59 PM

I'll try and muster up the courage for this "follow-me".  I really don't know much about my system.  Some guys came, installed it, and now they're gone.  lol

Thanks
Cheers
TC

TC;

You can download the Classic Manual over here:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/classicManual.pdf

Follow Me cable connections are on page 18 or so and other information in the same area of the manual. Not really that difficult to set up but you will need to power off the Classic(s) and open them up to connect the cable.

After that we can easily walk you through the setup here on the forum.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

boB

Quote from: Trickle Charge on March 11, 2014, 12:06:59 PM
I have noticed the same behaviour when I run the generator.  The one array shuts down but the other one keeps charging.

Yes, sounds like the battery voltage reading might want to be tweaked slightly.

What happens here is that when one charger gets the battery voltage up higher, the one Classic will stop charging because either the other Classic is keeping it up there or the generator is keeping the battery voltage up.

Either way, no biggie as long as the battery voltage is able to be sitting at the Absorb voltage or there-abouts
while it is getting its juice put back in.

Sounds like you are OK though for now.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me