News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

WB jr. Q&A

Started by Rybren, October 04, 2013, 11:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Quote from: Resthome on November 03, 2013, 01:58:44 AM
There are probably other ways to do this but as has been discussed here and elsewhere really determining the SOC of the batteries is complicated and varies with the type of batteries and a lot of other conditions.

So is it really worth the bother since it is not just complicated but has so many variables that the end result would  be approximate at best and almost useless at worst?
And is the basic SOC information not easily realised by just monitoring the battery voltage? It will soon become obvious if there is an overall negative rating as battery voltage declines each day?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

ClassicCrazy

I appreciate the explanations - now I have an understanding of how the Trimetric and other meters make their calculations.  Hopefully some day these lead acid batteries will be a thing of the past due to better battery technology. My ebike LiFePo4 battery is pretty easy to predict by voltage and the nifty Cycle Analyst amp hour meter.  No SOC needed.  It just needs a BMS to protect it .

But in the mean time the Whizbang is going to be a big help in knowing what the lead acid batteries are really doing. 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Halfcrazy

Quote from: dgd on November 03, 2013, 02:16:49 AM
Quote from: Resthome on November 03, 2013, 01:58:44 AM
There are probably other ways to do this but as has been discussed here and elsewhere really determining the SOC of the batteries is complicated and varies with the type of batteries and a lot of other conditions.

So is it really worth the bother since it is not just complicated but has so many variables that the end result would  be approximate at best and almost useless at worst?
And is the basic SOC information not easily realised by just monitoring the battery voltage? It will soon become obvious if there is an overall negative rating as battery voltage declines each day?

dgd

DGD
That is exactly how I have always taught my customers to read there system. Once you have lived with it for a while the battery voltage will really tell you the status as everything becomes sort of normal. SOC % has always been a pain in the %@* and IMHO never very accurate on most of the meters I have tried. That said I am sure given enough time and resources boB can make a very acurate SOC meter but?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

SolarMusher

Hi Ryan,
Mounted the WhizB yesterday and all is working fine (except loc app), it seems to be accurate and matches the magnum BMK readings. More to come on next sunny days. I'm pretty sure boB will find a way to add soc to the Classic.
Thanks to all including Kim,
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

dgd

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 03, 2013, 05:21:43 AM

That is exactly how I have always taught my customers to read there system. Once you have lived with it for a while the battery voltage will really tell you the status as everything becomes sort of normal. SOC % has always been a pain in the %@* and IMHO never very accurate on most of the meters I have tried. That said I am sure given enough time and resources boB can make a very acurate SOC meter but?

Ryan

I have never really had any interest in SOC meters, the battery V of lead acid cells was enough for me.
Then when I bought LiFeYPo4 cells all of the SOC business changed. Now voltage does not reflect the SOC of the bank and there has to be an alternative to V to get some idea of battery SOC.
With the WBjr on the main battery shunt that is all the extra hardware needed for the Classic to also provide battery SOC management.
Options appear to be - new firmware for the Classic to do all the sums - or the Classic making the relevant data available in some way so that some external program can do the SOC calculations.
Perhaps somewhere in between with the Classic not just making raw data via modbus available but perhaps time averaged data.
I'm thinking that with this capability then a simple black box could extract information from the Classic, process it and perhaps control the battery charging.
For my LiFeYPo4 cells the AUX2 input to turn off charging from the Classic would be ideal. The only problem is that there is only one AUX2 input and it cant do the WBjr and charging control input.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Vic

BTW,  the WBjr Manual.doc has moved,  and now is under the Classic CC:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Whizbang_manual.pdf

What a neat product  is the WhizBang Jr!!  Thanks MidNite.    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

laszlo

For some early Classics like mine (serial 217), there was a small hardware issue with one of the  AUX controls or relays. I don't remember - was it  was AUX1 or AUX2?  Can I still use the Wb. Jr. with this early  serial Classic?

4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

boB

Quote from: laszlo on December 15, 2013, 11:36:59 PM
For some early Classics like mine (serial 217), there was a small hardware issue with one of the  AUX controls or relays. I don't remember - was it  was AUX1 or AUX2?  Can I still use the Wb. Jr. with this early  serial Classic?

I'm pretty sure that you can use the WB Jr. but I'll ask those with a better memory about those earlier units
tomorrow at work.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

Quote from: boB on December 16, 2013, 02:31:10 AM
Quote from: laszlo on December 15, 2013, 11:36:59 PM

I'm pretty sure that you can use the WB Jr. but I'll ask those with a better memory about those earlier units
tomorrow at work.

boB

Yes you are fine. The issue was the first several thousand went out with the dry contact relay on Aux1 having reverse logic. The WBjr will work fine.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

laszlo

Thanks! I ordered a MNWBJR from wind-sun, will see how it works. 

Although I heard it before, I was wondering what is behind the name "Whizbang", and I did a search and  found some  poster of a certain  "Capt Billy's WhizBang, the explosion of pedigreed bunk."  Pretty funny!   The drawing on the poster was in the manner of the drawing of the lady on the midnite Classic.  Aha!
4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

phxmark

For those that live near Waco, TX and like hamburgers there is Capt. Billy Whizzbang's
Old Fashioned Hamburgers. http://www.billywhizzbangs.com/
Magnum MS-4448PAE
Midnite Solar Classic 200
6 SunPower E20 327W Panels.  3 Strings/2 Panels each
4 200ah AGM Batteries
WhizBang Jr.
Sun-500G Grid-Tie Inverter Controlled
by Aux 1 using a SSR
Emerson/ASCO 185 100 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1564.0

boB

That's phantasick, Phxmark !

I remember the name, "Captain Billy Whizbang" from around 1970 or so, but from
something other than a burger joint.

I will have to visit them for sure when I get to Waco, Tx !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mjp24coho

Quote from: SolarMusher on November 03, 2013, 07:20:02 AM
Hi Ryan,
Mounted the WhizB yesterday and all is working fine (except loc app), it seems to be accurate and matches the magnum BMK readings. More to come on next sunny days. I'm pretty sure boB will find a way to add soc to the Classic.
Erik

I installed my WhizB this weekend at my remote cabin - install went well, and it appears to be working with the local app.  However, I noted that since doing so, my Magnum MBK meter constantly shows 100% state of charge.  They're both installed to the same shunt, but I can't imagine what could be causing this.  Anyone else see anything similar? 
Offgrid Cabin: 8x215 watt Kyocera panels (roof mount), Midnite E-Panel with Magnum MS4024 inverter, Midnite Classic 200, 800AH 24V forklift battery, Magnum battery monitor, online Magnum inverter & Midnite charge monitoring, Honda EM5000SX generator.

SolarMusher

Quote from: mjp24coho on January 29, 2014, 05:43:56 PM
Quote from: SolarMusher on November 03, 2013, 07:20:02 AM
Hi Ryan,
Erik

I installed my WhizB this weekend at my remote cabin - install went well, and it appears to be working with the local app.  However, I noted that since doing so, my Magnum MBK meter constantly shows 100% state of charge.  They're both installed to the same shunt, but I can't imagine what could be causing this.  Anyone else see anything similar? 
No, never seen that. Do you mean that your BMK soc does not decrease after discharge?
Check at your BMK wires on shunt, it could be reversed.
If not, you can try to disconnect BMK positive for a while and check if it shows thinkn when connected.
What are your batt efficiency settings? Auto?
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

mjp24coho

Now that you say that, I'm sure I got the BMK wires on the shunt reversed when I reinstalled it.  I'll have to check that when I'm back at the cabin in a few weeks.
Offgrid Cabin: 8x215 watt Kyocera panels (roof mount), Midnite E-Panel with Magnum MS4024 inverter, Midnite Classic 200, 800AH 24V forklift battery, Magnum battery monitor, online Magnum inverter & Midnite charge monitoring, Honda EM5000SX generator.