Discrepancy between classic & WBJR battery amps

Started by offgridQLD, December 07, 2013, 10:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

OK, so turn up that trimpot !  Do you remember which one it is ?

Ooops !  I should say, turn it down !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

offgridQLD

Yes I have your old instructions handy and will adjust the trim next Saturday 14th. I just wanted to be 110% sure it was a gain issue before fiddling with the trims.

Just hope its a nice clear day so I have a nice stable - steady PV input while I am tuning.

kurt
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

offgridQLD

Ok,
      I removed the front panel from my classic 150 today and tried to sort out this calibration issue. With a tiny flat head screw driver I began to Adjust the ( B gain pot) It dose absolutely nothing. I even turned it fuly left and then fully right over its full sweep (about 1/2 a turn).  :-[  So somethings going on.

Next, taking note of  the exact position of the( PV input gain pot) I Turned that pot ever so slightly Just to see if a got any reaction from that one. I got a immediate change/response to the input amp reading on screen. I put the input pot back to were it was. Something is wrong with this classics on the  output shunt side.  I think its now way beyond my tinkering ability. :o

Lucky for me I had a 2nd brand new classic 150 sitting in its box in the garage, ready for another install. So I thought why don't I just swap it out for the old one and see what it reads. After installing and powering  up the new classic. It  matches the WBJR shunt readings 100% spot on perfect. :)

All my current measuring devises agree with each other and the new classic. From how the new classic is performing.  It looks like they do usually come well celebrated from the factory. I guess I just had some bad luck with the old one. No wonder I have been very puzzled by some of the data I have collected over the past year given it was roughly 30% out.Bummer it isn't fixable with the trim pot.

Ok, so now what do I need to do to get the old one sorted out. Do I just contact the local suppler I purchased it from ?

edit:
         I have a concern regarding  the new classic i swapped out for today. It might be calibrated perfectly and showing the correct output numbers (I'm happy for that)  but its making some real strange and loud noises at times. It sounds like a 56k modem on steroids. Is something wrong with this one to? It's really loud and high pitched and coming form inside the classic (not the speaker).  I don't remember the old one doing this. I took a little video and put it on Utube.

Link to video strange noise.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef0LdL7u11c

Kurt
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

Halfcrazy

Ok the noise is low max. If the PV voltage is down close to battery the inductors "Sing" this is ok unless the noise bothers you. If the noise bothers you go into tweaks and turn LMX to Off.

On the first controller email me and I will do an RMA and get it back and fixed right up for you.

ryan@midnitesolar.com
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

offgridQLD

Oh that's good news then. The classic is housed in the power room outside. So only the local wild life , snakes, kangaroos that wonder by the outbuilding will get tinnitus from it ;D I just switched lowmax of via the local app and will see how it works out first light tomorrow.

Thanks for the contact details. I just sent you a email.

I just gathered up the original box and packaging from the old classic. My 6yo daughter found it while I was in the power room and thought is was a nice box to be creative with and draw all over with a marker pen. Who ever opens that one up will get a good laugh.

Kurt.

offgridQLD

First light this morning the new classic is now totally silent :)  turning off low-max last night fixed it as suggested.

Kurt.

offgridQLD

"On the first controller email me and I will do an RMA and get it back and fixed right up for you."

Just wanted to follow up on the issue I had with my old classic 150 (output readings  not correct some issue with output shunt. I was unable to rectify it personally through pot adjustments)

I sent  the above classic back to DC solutions Australia with a small note explaining the issue. I received a new classic in the mail today - just over a week turn around  :) The note to me with the new classic confirmed the old classic was tested and had a issue and new classic was also tested all ok and sent out.

So I just wanted to say I am very happy with how this issue has been sorted out right from the diagnosing the problem through the forum to warranty replacment through the local distributor. Couldnt have asked for more. I have always had the view that sometimes things just happen. It's not a matter of if problems happen but it all comes down to how they are handled if they do.

Kurt

boB

Excellent news !

Wonder exactly happened with that ?  It was obviously "off"

Maybe we'll see it back here and see what happened.  I'll ask Mat in the back to
keep an ear out for it.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

offgridQLD

Yes it will be interesting to see what it turns out to be. It was way out 30% over in its output reading from the very beginning. It just wasn't fully investigated and confirmed until I installed the WBJR .

Speaking of the new replacement controller. It's a Jan 2014 model . I noted some nice changes for the better in this latest generation of the classic.

At the rear you can now remove the fans on a separate aluminium plate for easy service (dont remember that on my old classic or the one 2nd one i purchased last year). The 2nd improvement I notices it the main terminal block. The terminals are much larger then my 1st classic and even larger than the 2nd classic I purchased mid last year (that has slightly larger terminals). The new shape of the terminals is more square and a copper finish. Great to see the improvements .

Kurt