Android app for the Classic

Started by Graham, January 06, 2014, 07:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aleman83

Hello Graham,

I just found your app and am about to try and set it all up with a router. I was just wondering, is there now support for multiple cc's? And if yes, do they show up seperately, or will they be combined when in follow me mode?

Best regards,

Roland

Graham

I've actually never tried it with multiple classics, I have one here plus I used a modbus simulator running on a pc to simulate a second classic. The app should detect each classic on the local network and display an entry for each on the left slide out drawer, you can select and open a connection to one classic at a time.
I don't know how the classic works when it's configured in 'follow me' mode, does the master sum up the values from the slave or do you need a network connection to both master and slave(s) so that the local app can sum up the values? Maybe someone with some knowledge with follow me mode can clarify...

I added a new 'Consumption' tab in the last release but I decided to disable it when more than one classic is detected since I wasn't sure how the classics work together in this mode.

Graham.

Quote from: aleman83 on October 27, 2015, 02:28:26 PM
Hello Graham,

I just found your app and am about to try and set it all up with a router. I was just wondering, is there now support for multiple cc's? And if yes, do they show up seperately, or will they be combined when in follow me mode?

Best regards,

Roland
Off-Grid Island cottage, Lac Simon QC Canada
370 Ahrs @ 24V (4 8L16 batteries)
4 x 250watt panels on dual axis trackers http://tinyurl.com/hfpkgr5
Classic 150, Whizbang Jr.
Android Monitor: http://tinyurl.com/lomzq3s

offgridQLD

Hi Graham,
                  First another thank you for developing a great app. I just spent 4 weeks in the US away from our offgrid house in Australia and your Android app was a fantastic tool. Being able to just Pull my phone out of my pocket any where any time within seconds having that simple cylindrical graphical display of my offgrid battery SOC 10,000 miles away was perfect.

The Idea of combining some of the two or more classics data has my attention!

I run two Classic charge controllers in follow me mode. The Master classic  (House Classic) has the WBJR & temp probe and the (Shed Classic) is just following along.

QuoteI don't know how the classic works when it's configured in 'follow me' mode, does the master sum up the values from the slave or do you need a network connection to both master and slave(s) so that the local app can sum up the values? Maybe someone with some knowledge with follow me mode can clarify...

I added a new 'Consumption' tab in the last release but I decided to disable it when more than one classic is detected since I wasn't sure how the classics work together in this mode.

Obviously when I open the House classic I get the relevant WBJR data (State of Charge) , (Capacity) & the addition of (Shunt temp) under the temp tap.

Though all production totals are separate ( Energy)..KWH production and so on. You need to go into each classic separately to see what the individual classic has contributed. Its good to have individual data on each classic (to be able to see how each PV array/classic combo is performing) Though there is a lot of jumping back and forth with a note pad in hand to get combined numbers.

I find myself often wanting to know the simple sum of the two classics KWH production. Example 8.2kwh + 6.6kwh. So having a total combined  (total production) tab showing 14.8kwh would be great.

Often I find myself showing some one my system on the app and I get the response. "Oh you have only produced 10kwh today" I then have to explain that there is a 2nd classic that has also produced a similar number.

When using the Midnite (local app) when you first open it you get a window showing all the classics you have and some basic info on the one screen and you can see the two classic one under each other at the same time  along with the (KWH production) of each current (Output power in watts) and (charge stage) So I guess its possible to receive the date from the two  or more classics at the same time. Implementing it as a total in the Android app is over my head though.

Again thanks for a great app that I use every day.

Kurt
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

offgridQLD

I just upgraded the app to try the new (consumption tab)

With two classics running it reports a to high consumption (somthing like 500w when my true consumption was more like 250w)

I then logged into my slave classic via the local app and shut it down. With only one master classic & wbjr it reported the correct live consumption of around 250w.

In the past to get live consumption with my two classics running I would just have to use the SOC tab at night time as any battery watt data is always negative at night (no PV production) So it could be consider this data as live consumption in watts or amps.

Though day time it wasn't possible.

Hope this info helps.

Kurt
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

Westbranch

Quote from: offgridQLD on October 27, 2015, 06:12:12 PM

I then logged into my slave classic via the local app and shut it down.

Kurt, how did you manage to execute this connection?  I've tried with mine and no luck... :o
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

offgridQLD

QuoteKurt, how did you manage to execute this connection?  I've tried with mine and no luck... :o

To turn a classic off via the midnite solar local app (just it's solar output but the classic is still powered on) You just open the Midnite local app. Click the (config) tab. Then click the (Basic) tab. Followed by clicking the (MPPT mode)  tab (ON /OFF) option. I selected ( off) then hit the little blue arrow icon  to send the command to the classic.

That's it your classic is now not outputting any PV power....Just remember to turn it back on ;)

I just did this to fool the Android app that I only have one classic and not two.

Kurt

Graham

Thanks Kurt, i'm happy that you find the app useful, developing it was a good learning experience...
I'll have a look at the code when I get some time to see if I can make a 'summary' tab when more than one classic is in use.
The 'consumption' tab is simply the battery current of the classic minus the current measured by the whizbangJr, so lets say the classic is providing 10A and the wzb is measuring -15A (15A drain from the battery), then the load is 10a - (-15) == 25A, no load would be 10A from the classic and +10A at the wzb 10 - (10) == 0A load. In your case the calculated value is likely negative since there is more current going into the battery than is being supplied by the master classic, the gauge is displaying the absolute value, so the consumption value will be off since I'm not including the slave's current .
In the current release, the consumption tab should be hidden when there are more than one classic in the connection list.

Just want to make sure I understand 'follow me' correctly;
The slave classic is told when to change state (bulk to float etc) by the master.
Each classic must be connected to the network, i.e the data of the slave is not forwarded to the master via the master/slave connection.
so if I sum up the current readings of each classic minus the current of the whizbangjr, I should be able to display the load or consumption and the power harvested by the system.

Hi Graham,
                  First another thank you for developing a great app. I just spent 4 weeks in the US away from our offgrid house in Australia and your Android app was a fantastic tool. Being able to just Pull my phone out of my pocket any where any time within seconds having that simple cylindrical graphical display of my offgrid battery SOC 10,000 miles away was perfect.

The Idea of combining some of the two or more classics data has my attention!

I just upgraded the app to try the new (consumption tab)

With two classics running it reports a to high consumption (somthing like 500w when my true consumption was more like 250w)

I then logged into my slave classic via the local app and shut it down. With only one master classic & wbjr it reported the correct live consumption of around 250w.

In the past to get live consumption with my two classics running I would just have to use the SOC tab at night time as any battery watt data is always negative at night (no PV production) So it could be consider this data as live consumption in watts or amps.

Though day time it wasn't possible.

Hope this info helps.

Kurt

offgridQLD

Yes multiple classics report there output data individually.

All that follow me does is let the two classics talk to each other (actually there isn't even a master / slave) What ever classic reaches absorb or float first will activate the other to follow it. They just follow each other (no master/ slave rules) Though I just call the classic that has the WBJR connected to it (the master) I really shouldn't as this could be misleading.

So to sum up having two or more classics set to (follow me). I guess it should be called (follow each other mode) It has no impact on how data is collected as in there is no summing of the data from multiple classics when using (follow me).

Kurt

offgridQLD

The ultimate feature for me would to be able separate out more where every whr/kwh came from and went.

For example when the sun is down (6pm) and the two classics go to sleep until the next day when they wake up again. Lets say its 50ah from my battery over that time was consumed at 53v. That's 2.650kwh overnight consumption. A handy number to know.

I can calculate it in the morning manualy and because I am using lithium cell chemistry is more or less dead flat in the bulk of its discharge curve. I can approximate 53v and get close kwh numbers. Though some how being able to log the consumption data and see it in the plotted graphs would be useful. A bit like how we get a tally of the production KWH now. I guess voltage and consumption amps would need to be collected and summed to achieve this.

Perhaps more complex than it first sounds. Put simply the goal would be to see how much energy the battery contributed over a period of time vs energy that went straight from the PV and was consumed.

With the WBJR and the data from the classic ....clasicis there is a lot of usfull data that can be extrapolated from it

Kurt

offgridQLD

Though perhaps a more realistic feature request would be to have the option to be able to see production data combined for multiple classics in the historical logs particularly total kwh production of multiple classics summed for a total kwh produced.

A summery tab sounds like a good feature.

Kurt

Westbranch

Hi Kurt, I may not have been very clear about my question,

What I was interested in was the specifics of how you ''called up '' your Classic and logged on while you were in the US of A.  I have tied to connect to mine from home and get no connection... ???

I am using W7 or
Is this only possible using an Android device?

ps, I have read the manual and as mine is not listed I believe I have it set up correctly...

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

offgridQLD

Ok Sorry now I get your question.

Using the Android app or midnites Local app (or any network device ) is typically easy when your accessing it over the same local network at your house.

It can be a little harder to make that happen when away from your home. There is a list a mile long of small things that could be overlooked and be the reason its not successful.

A few things I did to shorten the list and keep it simple.

I have a static IP address at my house . This helps as I always know what IP address to call up my devices on. Where ever I am in the world. As it never changes like a dynamic IP.

So with a fixed (static IP address that I know)  All I need is the port number of the device I am trying to access. For example my two classics are port  502 and the other classic is port 503.

Other than that I just have them set up as the instruction outline in the manual. I also use a very common TP link model TD-W8960N wifi modem router that is very easy to set up and very stable. (also happens to be inexpensive) This made the job of forwarding the two ports to the outside world very easy (unlike some of my old modem/ routers that were very frustrating to work on)

It's just been set and forget for some time now.

Sorry I cant help much with the technicality's of solving your network or setup issues. I feel your pain/frustration though as it took me some time to iron out the flaky hardware and Provider - IP issues to get on top of my remote network connections.  Keep it simple and keep trying it can be done.

Kurt.

Graham

The android app relies on data stored in the classic for it's graphs etc, it doesn't record the data itself otherwise it would have to run in the background 24/7   (with only one tcp connection available in the classic, the LA would not be able to connect...).
Unfortunately the classic does not record the whizbangjr data so there is no way I can figure out the historical consumption.
I should be able to make a summary tab that displays the current consumption, power and energy for multiple classics.

Graham.

Quote from: offgridQLD on October 27, 2015, 10:48:29 PM
The ultimate feature for me would to be able separate out more where every whr/kwh came from and went.

With the WBJR and the data from the classic ....clasicis there is a lot of usfull data that can be extrapolated from it

Kurt

Graham

You can enter a network name using the "+add" menu item when the connection slide out is in view, the app will make a call to the dns service to resolve the name to an ip address.

You have to setup port forwarding and the dyndns service on your router, unfortunately the dyndns service is no longer free, some routers now come with the service such as: https://www.dlinkddns.com

If you get the LA working with remote access, you should be able to use the same network name in the android app.

Graham.

Quote from: Westbranch on October 28, 2015, 12:41:42 AM
Hi Kurt, I may not have been very clear about my question,

What I was interested in was the specifics of how you ''called up '' your Classic and logged on while you were in the US of A.  I have tied to connect to mine from home and get no connection... ???

I am using W7 or
Is this only possible using an Android device?

ps, I have read the manual and as mine is not listed I believe I have it set up correctly...

offgridQLD

Yes silly me expecting the app it to do the impossible. I didn't think one one through. ::)

With a WBJR attached to one classic we already get accumulative live + /- amps (watts) data in and out of the battery on the Android app as it is. As the WBJR shunt is on the one battery even with multiple classics its already accumulative.

I guess like you mention it's just the offline data that's taken from the classic's that can be played with. The one I find the most useful would be (Accumulative kwh production for the day)

Kurt