Upgrading with a few ?

Started by tcva357, February 01, 2014, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcva357

I currently have 3 140W 12V Panels feeding a 30w Morningstar pro charger into a 450AH BB,4 6V 225 AH Batteries series then paralled.I have a small 100W inverter.I also have The MNdc125 Mini will this be sufficient?What I am looking to do is upgrade to 2KW.I am currently buying equipment,so far Purchased Midnight Solar Clasic 150,i will be needing more panels.My batteries are three years old and have had little draw put on them,they seem to be fine testing wise.Would it be best to but more 6V 225AH batteries to add the capacity or start over with new batteries and up the V?If so whats a good battery to get that wont break the bank?I am adding panels 3 in the future 140W Kyocera's,been suggested that I series two for 24V then parallel,is this good?I would like to have the 2KW capability.My arrays are about 60ft from my charger and bank.I currently have #10 stranded wire running from array.I will be upgrading that to probably #4 or #6 too.I am trying to get all this together so when weather breaks I can start on it.Any input  would be great.I learn a lot up here and listen to what yall have to say.

Thanks
Tim

Westbranch

Hi Tim, as I posted in your other thread, you need to do a system design now before getting any more hardware... this will ensure a well designed and (hopefully) functioning system.

You do not want to do Ready Fire, Aim... as you are presently doing...

BTW your present batteries in 24V series config will be able to supply max of roughly 2.5Kwh

225 Ah x 24V = 5400Wh x 1/2 = ~2500Wh or 2.5Kwh,  this accounts roughly for some system losses and keeping the discharge above 50% so as to protect the batteries from sudden death.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

tcva357

OK Thank's is there a site tool where I can do that?

Westbranch

Design? there re some rudimentary ones that use a pen and paper.

It's better to start from scratch with a list of what you want to power...everything on your wish list.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

Quote from: tcva357 on February 01, 2014, 09:33:36 PM
OK Thank's is there a site tool where I can do that?

357;

First step is calculate your needs (loads). List each device you expect to use. Then add the time it runs per day and the power the device consumes while running. Do some math on these numbers. power use multiplied by hours in use per day. This will give you a fair starting point of kilowatt hours each day. If you are on grid now your monthly KWH usage is a fair starting point. Once you have that number we can probably help you sort out a properly sized system.

The actual first step is to reduce consumption,reduce consumption again  and then cut that back. Much easier to save a KWH than make it.

None of this is an exact science but you need to start from a plan or you may buy stuff you do not need and have to replace it. I got away with a "grown in place" system but ended up having to replace parts of the system (mainly inverter) because I had to upscale my power production.

You also do not want to buy a bulldozer when you just need a spade! :o

So, gather some info on your use and I am certain someone(s) here can point you in the right direction.

The system in my signature below supplies us with between 1/3 and 1/2 of our use even with an electric water heater, well pump, etc. The % varies by time of year and in deep winter it is not doing as much as it does in the summer and longer days.

A Kill-a-Watt KWH meter might be a good investment to sort out your use but not absolutely required.

Good luck with it and get back to us and we will try to get you on the right path.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies