Classic / Kid Boost mode : Stealing from the XW MPPT 60

Started by DMJ72, April 20, 2014, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

Quote from: vtmaps on May 28, 2014, 05:57:54 PM
Quote from: inetdog on May 28, 2014, 05:31:03 PM
Fortunately this and most other forums ...

Hi Dave,  Welcome to the Midnite forum... I'm really glad to see you here! 

--vtMaps  (aka mapmaker on that forum you moderate)

I totally agree !   Another  techie type.    We need all we can get !

I was just admiring one of your posts on the NAWS forum

Discussion on this kind of stuff is great.

I would think that C/20  would naturally mean  "battery capacity divided by 20" though and C20  or 20C would
mean "Capacity times 20"   (algebraically speaking)

C/20 would also agree with Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_%28electricity%29#C_rate

They have also done a bit of discussion about this in the "talk" section of that article.

I can usually tell what someone means either way.

What about those AGMs that can be charged at like, 4 times capacity of current ?  How would you
designate that ?

Great to see you here !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ChrisOlson

Quote from: inetdog on May 28, 2014, 05:31:03 PM
A current which is some fraction of the amp hour capacity of the battery would then be something like 5C or C/5.
I think you are using C/20 to indicate C20, yes?

Yes, I meant that to mean C divided by 20, which is the amp-hours of the battery (C) divided by 20, which gives you the 20hr rate of discharge in amps.

ChrisOlson

Ah, I see what inetdog is talking about I guess.  When I am talking about ending amps of 2% of the battery capacity at the 20hr rate of discharge I should probably use something like 2% C(20hr) or similar.  2% of C/20 would be very little amps.

boB

Quote from: ChrisOlson on May 28, 2014, 11:36:00 PM
Ah, I see what inetdog is talking about I guess.  When I am talking about ending amps of 2% of the battery capacity at the 20hr rate of discharge I should probably use something like 2% C(20hr) or similar.  2% of C/20 would be very little amps.

I'm pretty sure that the 2% means 2% of the 20 hour capacity which should be close to the nameplate capacity
unless the battery is rated at some ungawdly hourly rate.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ChrisOlson

Quote from: boB on May 29, 2014, 05:58:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that the 2% means 2% of the 20 hour capacity which should be close to the nameplate capacity
unless the battery is rated at some ungawdly hourly rate.

Yeah, a person could probably just say 2% C.  I don't remember seeing any battery manufacturers that provide the amp-hour rating of the battery at anything other than the 20 hour discharge rate.

inetdog

Hi vtmaps,
Nice to visit.
I may not spend much time here but I will try to drop in from time to time.

inetdog

Quote from: boB on May 28, 2014, 07:44:02 PM
What about those AGMs that can be charged at like, 4 times capacity of current ?  How would you
designate that ?

Great to see you here !

boB

Thanks boB!
I would just write 4C. If I had to worry about an environment where other than 20 hour capacity was often quoted, I would write 4C20.