SOC & Equalize Countdown Logging

Started by phindall, May 21, 2014, 09:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phindall

I'm admittedly new to the Classic and MPPT charging in general.  I've been running my system for around two months now, and everything appears to be going smoothly.  However, I am confused by a couple things and I'm hoping someone can straighten me out.  I bought the Classic specifically because the install is a remote part time cabin, and I wanted to be able to remotely monitor the system.  I installed a WhizBang Jr. and was disappointed to see that SOC logging is not currently part of MyMidnite.com.  I've seen posts indicating that this may be a future feature.  Is this true and, if so, is there a timeframe to release? 

Second, Unless there is something I don't fully understand, Auto EQ does not currently appear to be working.  When I first installed the system, I manually EQ'ed the batteries per the manufacturer's recommendation, and then set AutoEQ to 30 days with a 3 day retry (again, according to the manufacturer).  Since that point, over 60 days ago, I don't see the system ever raising the battery voltage to the Equalize set point (15.5V).  Nor can I find any feedback as to the time of the last EQ, or when it might Auto EQ next??  Shouldn't there be some way to keep track of the Battery Equalizations, and whether they succeeded or not?  Admittedly, the system has rebooted a couple times in the couple months that it has been up, but I wouldn't expect that the auto EQ timer should reset on reboot??

Thanks!

Classic 150, 2-240W Trina Panels, 6-Crown 390Ah in 12V configuration.

cybermaus

I too would be very interested to know where I can find when the last completed EQ ran.

I have it on 14 days with 14 day retry, simply because my  solar conditions/array size/bank size  are such that I expect it to happen quite often that the EQ cycle cannot complete due to lack of sun. But it would be nice to see when the last attempt was, or more important, when the last successful EQ was.

Maurits

boB

Yes, a logging of exactly WHEN an EQ happend would be nice.  There is logging of charging stages but unfortunately,
that part of the recent history logs rolls off way too soon (in a couple to a few days if logging at night is enabled)

There also does appear to be an anomaly with the Auto EQ counting and we are looking into this.

However, the Classic resetting shouldn't mess that count down up too much.  It might forget one
day's count when it resets but will otherwise remember.  It does this remembering at midnight (23:59)

The most recent code (1849 from  4-21-2014) looks like it is a lot better as far as resets go.
Do you know what version of code is in your Classics ?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

cybermaus

For me, at 1795, I do not have a whole lot of resets. Or at least, I am not noticing them.

As to the EQ day-count : Well, as I do not know when it EQ's, I also do not know if it adheres to the count, I do not confirm (nor refute) the problem reported by phindall

One suggestion on EQ though (I made it before, but to repeat):

To avoid the EQ cycle failing due to load, it would be nice if the Aux1-SOC% would not switch on at 99% when an EQ is scheduled.

As example I imagine this could be configured by setting a special value for high value of the Aux1-SOC%.
So you can set a percentage like currently, or a special value of FLT (for example) or 101 (if it has to be numeric) meaning it only activates when float is entered (assuming it that EQ follows ABSORB)

Or simpler yet, you assume if set to a normal 100%, it would be implicit that we wait till after the EQ.

Which reminds me: Why is the top value for the Aux1-SOC% setting 99% and not 100%?

SolarMusher

boB, I'm not even sure that auto EQ is really working.
I have never seen a Classic equalizing on auto EQ on mine or others. EQ history and countdown would be great.
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

zoneblue

Blackbox tallys the amount of time spent in each charge stage each day. I find it kinda useful. It also records a range of other derived datapoints such as the peak charge rate, lowest batery voltage, highest battery voltage, lowest SOC, highest SOC etc. I keep adding datapoints as they occur to me. Sorry havent had much time to work on it lately, we have a big trip to the states coming up, and head down.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

boB

Quote from: cybermaus on May 24, 2014, 02:11:14 AM

Which reminds me: Why is the top value for the Aux1-SOC% setting 99% and not 100%?

This is because 100% is greater than 99% and the AUX1 will turn on at 100% when you have
it set to > 99%

That menu item is worded kind of strange and probably adds to confusion.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

boB

Quote from: zoneblue on May 24, 2014, 03:55:22 PM
Sorry havent had much time to work on it lately, we have a big trip to the states coming up, and head down.

Where will you be going ?  I don't suppose you will be up here in the Seattle area ?
If so, you should come by.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

zoneblue

Long overdue trip to meet the inlaws. Massachusetts and Maine. My US geography isnt that flash, out east someplace.

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100

Halfcrazy

Quote from: zoneblue on May 25, 2014, 02:04:55 AM
Long overdue trip to meet the inlaws. Massachusetts and Maine. My US geography isnt that flash, out east someplace.

Where in Maine? That is where I am located
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Westbranch

ZB, FYI Maine = most NE corner of contiguous states
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

zoneblue

Thanks WB! Im not sure which scares me most, the inlaws or america! I asked and she said Portland, and some visits north to Augusta, Belfast, Skowhegan, and maybe Caratunk.

Halfcrazy

Quote from: zoneblue on May 25, 2014, 04:35:01 PM
Thanks WB! Im not sure which scares me most, the inlaws or america! I asked and she said Portland, and some visits north to Augusta, Belfast, Skowhegan, and maybe Caratunk.

Well Maine is pretty un scary especially when you get north of Portland  ;D

We are about 45 minutes north of Augusta

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

phindall

Sorry to not get back to this sooner, but I was finally able to get up to my cabin this weekend and I think I may have come up with something.  Before we start, per a pervious question, I am running firmware version 1779.

As a refresher, the main problem was that I did not feel the Classic was faithfully carrying out its Auto EQ schedule (every 30 days).  EQ logging and countdown timer to the next EQ would be great, but at a minimum, I feel I should see the battery voltage in MyMidnite,com raised to the EQ setpoint every 30 days or so, and this hasn't been the case.  So, based on the MyMidnite.com logs showing the max daily battery voltage at the temperature compensated absorb setpoint for that last 90 days, my assumption is that it hasn't EQ'd in the last 90 days (since the last time I manually EQ'd).  Based on that theory, I figured I'd better manually EQ the batteries when I was up at the cabin this weekend.  That's when I noticed something interesting. . .

I noticed that what I thought was the way to manually EQ the batteries was labeled "EQ Started" in the Classic menu.  Funny, that the word "started" is used and also funny that after successful equalization, it doesn't automatically switch to "EQ Stopped."  You see, the first time I EQ'd the batteries, I went into the menu and set "EQ Started."  After successful EQ, I was surprised to see the MNGP was still set to "EQ Started."  Well, I don't want it to manually EQ every day!  So, I went ahead and set it back to "EQ Stopped."  I figured, from here, the auto EQ cycle would take over.  Yesterday, it dawned on me. . . "EQ Started" means manually EQ - AND START THE AUTO EQ CYCLE!

To test my theory, I did another manual EQ yesterday by setting "EQ Started."  The EQ finished successfully.  Then, I did nothing.  I did not return to the MNGP to set "EQ Stopped."  Low and behold, today the Classic did NOT try to EQ again, even though the setting is still set to "EQ Started."

Time will tell if I'm right, and the auto EQ schedule is followed in the future.  Can someone confirm whether I'm correct?

Resthome

That whole Equalize START / STOP is strange. I've had it finish the manual EQ and when left in START come back the next day and find it in EQ MPPT. Also Auto EQ starts up in the morning in that mode and does not go through Absorb before doing the EQ. Because of that I don't Auto EQ and when the manual EQ is done I set it back to STOP.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA