Classic Firmware update using Linux

Started by Rybren, June 17, 2014, 02:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

Quote from: Rybren on July 22, 2014, 08:59:54 PM
boB,

Thanks for the response.  Yeah, chemo is a real pain.  This last bout was particularly rough on her and we haven't been able to do much of anything.  It's particularly frustrating, because despite the fact that she has Stage 4 lung cancer, she'd have no symptoms if it weren't for the chemo.

The Classic itself updated fine to 1849.  The issue I've been having is with the 1821 Graphic panel update.  The file is in MNupdate_Linux_Mac_Rev1849_4-21-2014.zip  (latest production firmware)

The instructions are different from what you posted and have a more recent revision date of 2-20-2014 (boB)

When I get up to the camp, should I try the older instructions?

Thanks,

Jerry

Yes, try instructions.  If no-go, we will do something about the MNGP.  I'm pretty sure the MNGP is the problem if no-go.

I am very close to someone with the same problem as your wife, BTW.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Rybren

Thanks boB.  Will give it another go the next time we head up to the camp.

My heart goes out to the person you know with cancer.  It is an incredibly difficult time.

Jerry
4 x 210W PV, Classic 150, e-panel, Samlex PST-1500-24, 232AH 24V

Rybren

boB,

Made a trip up to the camp yesterday.  The MNGP update was still a no-go using Linux and the instructions that you posted.  As a note, -x is not supported in the version of mnupdate that I'm using (from the MNupdate_Linux_Mac_Rev1849_4-21-2014.zip  file). 

I tried dmesg and it shows the port being connected and disconnected and also ran sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog and it also showed the  port being connected and disconnected.

Finally, I tried sudo cat /dev/ttyACM0 and got a data dump.

I'm still trying to find someone with an XP or Win7 laptop that I can borrow.  Not sure that it will make much of a difference.

Cheers,

Jerry

TomW

Just in case I missed it or nobody asked....

Did you run the update command as root or via sudo?

Seems you need to unless you changed permissions on your port?

Just a thought.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Rybren

TomW,  I ran it as root and did the chmod to change the permissions of nmupdate.

Thanks

Jerry

boB

If it isn't working still, then it's maybe time for it to be RMA'd.

Still good to try windows but if that doesn't work or you just can't get Linux to work,
then RMA might be the only choice.  It shouldn't take very long to get it turned around.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Rybren

Thanks boB.  Will give it one last shot - hopefully with windoze - and then call in for RMA if it doesn't work.

Jerry

Rybren

I managed to tear apart a couple of old laptops and then build one that would run Win7.  Loaded the updater and brought it up to the camp.

The MNGP updated on the first attempt!  Yahoo!

I now have the WB Jr operational!!!

Halfcrazy

Sweet. Sorry it was such a pain in the rear
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Rybren

No worries Ryan.  I finally got it to work, and that is what is important.

Cheers,

Jerry

chris

System 1
12 volt system,
280 AH DIY LifePO4 with 200amp JBD BMS
4x200 Watt 36volt panels 4P
MidNite Kid, WBjr
2000 watt Kisae SW inverter

System 2
Off Grid RV (parked and used as a cabin)
12 volt system,
4 X T-105+
6X100 watt array wired as 3 strings
MidNite Kid, WBjr & MNBTS
1500 watt Cotek SW

Rybren

boB

Excellent news !   I wonder what the Linux problem was though ?  I guess I better make another partition here.

Thanks for the update !
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Rybren

boB,

I'm really happy it finally worked as well.  It seems as though Linux has caused problems for other folks as well.  There's a thread here.... http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1814.30

Jerry