Beta Kid #35 Arrived. Questions, please.

Started by Free Energy Freak, July 03, 2014, 03:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Free Energy Freak

My Beta Kid arrived, finally. Took some time to get it, as whomever originally shipped it will know. (This is not the fault of Midnite or any shipping company. I just had to wait until someone was coming abroad to bring the controller to me, in order to save over $100 USD in shipping costs.)

As stated in the subject line, inside the rear cover is "The Kid (Beta)" and "Serial No. 35".

Considering the distance between this unit (me) and the Midnite office, I would prefer to not have to ship it back there - for any reason. So, I want to make sure I do everything according to what Midnite says, to help insure that doesn't happen.

• So, if I am correct, I need a copy of the boot loader?
  • I also need access to the most current firmware version released?
  • What is the largest gauge wire that can be attached to the terminals? 8? They don't look quite large enough for #6.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

EDIT: I have a windows 7, 64 bit machine to do the firmware upgrade with. It is my understanding this should be fine.

Also, if anyone has advice to someone who is holding their first MPPT controller (ever), in their hands, it would greatly be appreciated.

I hope to have this up and running within a week, if possible.
400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

Westbranch

contact Ryan (Halfcrazy) directly for the bootloader.

Reread the manuals to ease your fears and possible need to return the KID...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

What is with these Time-Outs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?/

Typed an eight minute reply and posted it ...  but the SOB TIMED OUT,  forgot to copy it   ...  Timed Out after typing a 2.5 minute reply,   guess that I just type too slow ...

Hi  Free,  congrats on the new KID!

The MAX cable size for the KID terminal block is #10 AWG.  The PV input might be fine at #12 or even #14,  depending on your input currents.

The KID is a kind,   gentle and well-behaved soul.   You should be fine!

Have Fun,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Free Energy Freak

Damn it! It timed out with me as well. Lost an entire post!

Anyway, I am going to have a buddy bring over an MNPV3 Combiner box, and a couple of - I guess now, probably 8 amp breakers?

The distance from the pole mount where I will put the panels is about 15 feet, one way, to the location where the controller will be mounted. I realize the breakers mainly serve to disconnect the array from the controller? #10 wire, I guess, would be large enough for under 8 amp PV generation? (140 watts will be the largest, with 100 watts being the smallest panel I will connect to the controller. I will decide when I go see what the company has in stock tomorrow.)

Oh, is it true that I can go over the rating on PV for the controller? I have seen that posted here, but am a bit apprehensive to do so without someone saying outright, "FEF, yes, you can go over on the PV on the Kid." I Mean, is it true that you can seriously over load the controller with PV, yet the Kid will only send a maximum of 30 amperes to the batteries, all without harming the controller?

I say that, because the Kid "Sizing Tool" shows it to be over for PV, when calculated.

There is a reason for me saying this. I figure that, during rainy season, we have a LOT of rainy days here. Sometimes a week's worth. But, during that time, there is usually some sort of break, even if only for a few hours. So, I figure if I have more panels facing the sun, the more sun I can harvest for those batteries, even if it takes 1000 watts of panels to get 30 amperes of charging to the batteries, due to overcast skies.

400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

Vic

F E F,

Yep sure is frustrating to lose an entire,  carefully-crafted post (well,  in my case,  not so carefully crafted).

Sizing the output breaker;  Personally would use a 30 amp breaker on the output to the battery.   Breakers,  generally  protect  cable,  not devices.  30 Amp is the maximum that I would use on #10 AWG cable.

You could always go into the breaker with #10,  and exit with larger cable for the run to the battery.

Generally since the PV runs at a higher voltage than the battery,  the KID's output breaker will be larger than on the input.

Have you seen the new  KID manual on the MidNite Solar site?   It covers sizing KID breakers.   More later,  have fun,   Vic,  copying and pasting ...
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

TomW

F.E.F;

Read this from Ryan, Technical Support Manager at Midnite:

http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1919.msg17627#msg17627

Down in reply #6 he plainly states:
The Kid will be fine. You can grossly overload the kid with PV and it will simply put out 30 amps.

Ryan

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Free Energy Freak

Hi Tom,

To be perfectly honest, I did see that particular post. As stated in my O/P, this is my first owned MPPT controller. So, I knew I needed to be open regarding the differences between controllers - at least Midnite MPPT controllers and typical PWM controllers.