Location of panels

Started by eastpoint turbine, August 19, 2014, 11:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eastpoint turbine

Is there any merit/advantage in having string facing "each direction   eg, one north one south etc ? My feeling is one would catch the morning sun another the evening ,but as the sun rises All will face the sun , or am i way off
     Jason

zoneblue

What you are talking about is known in the industry as a virtual tracker. Its best uses are for targeting time of use NEM grid tie programs, or in the off grid world for supplying particular daytime loads like water pumping. You can create a much flatter prodution curve by facing arrays SE/SW.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

eastpoint turbine

So what you are saying Zoneblue,  is that All should face the same direction

Westbranch

It depends... on where you are the period of the day in which you get full sun, the size of your battery bank and the amount of panels you have vs the number of hours you need to be at Absorb,etc, etc, etc,....you get the picture, it depends...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

zoneblue

If you just want the best total production facing them all south at your latitude elevation is best. However if you run aircon or something heavy all day, then facing half the array SE and half SW will give you slightly less overal but for a longer time over the day...if that makes sense.  Google virtual tracker for more details.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100

dgd

I have seen a version of this where a main 2k8 array points exactly north with a 600 watt array northeast and another 600w northwest. After some experimenting with array angles this resulted in a more 'evened out' power production throughout the day.  Seemed like a lot of bother to me  :-\

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

When you South of the Equator folks start talking solar orientation alarms go off when I here "pointing N, NE, NW" etc until my feeble brain connects the dots on geographic location.

Just sayin.. :o

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

zoneblue

Yeah well we were just in the states, so i translated those angles to usa-ese there...even if that is in a reverse-revers way confusing. LIke those solar calculators that wont let you put in 0 north as a azimuth. How about 45 degress off azimuth?

dgd

This north or south orientation is not always obvious. A recent visit to install a Classic 150  I noticed that the pv array was on a ground frame. The rear posts had all been extended by near a metre. When I asked why they did not put longer 4by4s in the ground in the first place it was explained that the frame was built for a south facing array (this was near Tauranga in New Zealand latitude 38deg S).
Apparently the system designer thought the builder would obviously know the array was to be north facing but the frame instructions were from a magazine article which emphasized it was important to get the array accurately orientated south.
The posts were all in concrete hence north ones were reduced in height and the south ones were extended.
This made me smile, proves you can never assume people know what they are doing  ???

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

zoneblue

That is just hilarious dgd. Sometimes i think its a wonder we humans achieve anything at all...

TomW

Quote from: zoneblue on August 22, 2014, 05:46:07 PM
That is just hilarious dgd. Sometimes i think its a wonder we humans achieve anything at all...

Reminds me of a sign over the tech area when I worked for Collins Radio:

"No problem is too big to be overlooked"

Or as NASA discovered with that lander that plowed into Mars. Do not calibrate in one unit and program in another!

Been there done that, got no T shirt, however.

Humans are curious critters.

And we all know what happens when we assume.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

eastpoint turbine

At midday it does not matter which direction they face, but for me  west captures the remaining sun ( this time of the year 5:30 am to 6:30 pm)