Midnite Kid and New to Forum

Started by Zakarume, October 31, 2014, 04:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakarume

Ok so lets all start over. I think going 12v was a mistake. I am now wanting to go 24v

Here is my idea so far

1.  4 x 100w Renogy panels. Will go series x2 for 2+ and 2- to Combiner box  OR
Connect 2 panels together in series plus other in series and then adding MC4 Branch Connectors and run 1+ and 1- to Combiner box. Want to stay with combiner box for upgrades in future

2. Get the Midnite Kid Charge Controller

3. Need to get a 24v inverter. Need a good recommenation and cheap

4. Wire would be http://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Extension-Connector-LIFETIME-Warranty/dp/B00LOM7K2Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1414801691&sr=8-6&keywords=solar+power+cable+100ft+10+awg

Like i said. New to solar and this is a DIY Project with limited funds.
960 watts in Series & Parellel (24v) , Midnite Kid Charge Controller , 600 Watt 24v Inverter , 8 x 6volt T-105 Trojan Batteries in Series for 24v @ 450 AH. 500 Watt Wind Turbine @24V

vtmaps

Quote from: Zakarume on October 31, 2014, 08:24:50 PM
Ok so lets all start over. I think going 12v was a mistake. I am now wanting to go 24v

Here is my idea so far <snip>

Each string (of two panels in series) will have its own 10 gauge cable running 35 ft to the combiner.  That will give you a 1.15% voltage drop.  Very reasonable.  If you combine more than two strings, you will need something heavier than 10 gauge cable.

Need to get a 24v inverter. Need a good recommenation and cheap

That's not the way it works... you actually get more value when you spend a bit more. 

To advise you any further, about inverters, combiners, cable, or anything else really, It would be helpful to know what sort of installation this will be... is this for a boat? a house?  Are you required to conform to a building code? Do you want to conform to code?  What sort of loads will you put on the system?  It's hard to recommend an inverter without knowing what it will be powering.

--vtMaps

vtmaps

One more thing I forgot to mention... with a 24 volt system, I would consider that three of your panels would be the optimum string length.... two more panels would give you a total of 6 panels... two strings, each string being three panels in series.

Mr reasoning is that two panels in series has the bare minimum of headroom on a 24 volt system.  Especially if your panels are hot and your batteries are (relatively) cool. 

Of course, I know so little about your system... it is hard to know whether you would be better of with a string length of two or three.  Are there any shading issues?  If so, that might argue for three strings of two panels per string.  What sort of climate?  That also might influence my recommendation. 

--vtMaps

Zakarume

All it will be powering is a computer, monitor, small speakers, fan and light occasionally. Recharging cell phone and car alarm. And not powering those i will power a TV. Will be using around 250 watts. 100 watts for TV. I only have 4 panels, but upgrade in future. I rather keep it 2 panels in a string
960 watts in Series & Parellel (24v) , Midnite Kid Charge Controller , 600 Watt 24v Inverter , 8 x 6volt T-105 Trojan Batteries in Series for 24v @ 450 AH. 500 Watt Wind Turbine @24V

zoneblue

People come here for advice then ignore it. 2 36 cell panels on a mppt controller running 24V doesnt give the controller enough headroom. If you want to do that get a PWM controller which will work fine like that,
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Zakarume

I will be using my Renogy PWM Charge Controller for now. When i upgrade more panels into system i would like to go with the Midnite Kid Controller. But for now i will be using the Renogy

ClassicCrazy

To answer your question about good quality but less costly inverters look at Samlex sine wave inverters.  Larger more costly inverters usually are capable of charging batteries from a generator . If you don't need that look at the Samlex.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable