hot breaker

Started by mofawayesu, December 02, 2014, 06:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mofawayesu

Well, regardless of the final autopsy, it looks like I should get another breaker!  I have a connection from N.America coming in January sometime who could bring what I need.  It sounds like the 'new-style' ones would be the better bet, seeing as both of my 'old-style' ones have the same problem.  Suggestions as to where to get them to ensure getting the new style?

Re crimpers - thanks for all the link suggestions.  By the lack of comments on the idea of getting the hammer type of crimper, I'm assuming you all don't think much of them. 

Westbranch

These guys have good prices and reputation.
Northern Arizona Wind and Sun,
http://www.solar-electric.com/
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

Quote from: mofawayesu on December 07, 2014, 09:13:13 AM
Well, ...     It sounds like the 'new-style' ones would be the better bet, seeing as both of my 'old-style' ones have the same problem.  Suggestions as to where to get them to ensure getting the new style?  ...

Hi mofawayesu,

Many distributors and dealers do not rotate their stock.   Have checked the inventory of the MNEDC breakers stocked here,  and there does not seem to be a high degree of correlation between the new style with the "platform"  and a single nut,  and the current rating of the Carling breakers,  or for my guess of what is the Date Code on the breaker's sticker.

It IS quite possible that the newer,  high current-rated breakers will generally have the platform,  but the stock from an order from early this year,  there is a mix of styles for a given amp-rating.

Generally,  have had good service from Wind-Sun:
http://www.solar-electric.com/installation-parts-and-equipment/midnite/cipr1/stfubr1/pamodccibr.html

So HOPE  that you will be able to find what you are looking for.
Can you please confirm that the hot breakers are Carling brand?   Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dbcollen

Mike,

PM me your address and I will send you a few 90a 80vdc breakers if you want to try one on the output. I ended up with a few hundred of them, I have never had a problem with them heating up.

mofawayesu

Fwiw, I installed new breakers, bumped up the size of the cables to to #4 and still have the same problem with heat/voltage drop.  There's GOT to be a bad connection somewhere but I can't track it down for the life of me.  Sigh.

ralph day

Maybe invest in an IR thermometer or thermal imager?  Scan the likely points/connections.

Ralph

zoneblue

I confess i forgot about this thread, and have had the disco apart since your OP, so could have studied this more closely. My feeling at the time is that there is a real issue with some batchs of these breakers. And im wondering whether polarity is a factor or not.  In my next NAWS order ill get a spare, and compare them. Its summer here now so easy to check 60A through them. Will keep an eye.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar